View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Oil change indicator

I get what these articles say (some were written 7 years ago) BUT key to "oil life" is the oil itself. I doubt any of these articles takes that into account.

I don't want this thread to degenerate into a 'what oil to use' like it has on the S Series Forum, but suffice it to say that oil technology continues to develop. Some folks use dino oil, I personally always use synthetic. I believe one has a very strong advantage over the other. Some drivers use Rotella oil which is specifically made for diesel engines rather than oil made for petrol engines. So things like further muddy the water on this topic.

Yes, types of trip also have an impact. Short commutes, where the engine never really gets hot do no favors for the engine or the oil. A car that gets a good workout on the Interstates, if properly maintained will likely be in better condition.

I know there are some folks who religiously stand by the old advice of change oil at 3000 miles. I think those days are well gone, though many will still stick to it. It's whatever floats your boat IMHO.

My Suburban which hits 250K miles in less than 1K miles has an Hour meter in the odometer system, so perhaps I should follow that instead of miles traveled. my Ex's father is a retired Merchant Navy Chief Engineer and their ship engines were maintained by Hours operated, not by knots traveled, etc, etc. So there is truth in that route.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote