View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Brake questions..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGDTW View Post
I seem to only get mad dust from my rear brake pads and not the front. Are they different pads?
I'm currently experiencing the same thing. Up until about 20,000 kms, I was getting reddish-brown dusting from both fronts and rears, but now it is only rears. I believe that this has to do with how the brake pads wear -- they produce higher amounts of dust in the beginning when new but produce less once they've been broken in. One reason why the rears are still dusting might be that the car's weight distribution is 65/35 when sitting still, and even more skewed when more weight shifts forward during braking, and the rears most likely aren't wearing as fast.

Or, the fronts are ceramic and the rears are metallic. No way of knowing for sure, since even a GM parts counter guy won't be able to tell from their database. FWIW, Raybestos lists the fronts as ceramic (PGD1361C) and the rears as metallic (PGD1362M). While I'm at it, front rotors are 980057, rears are 580665R, and a rear brake hardware kit is H18014A.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote