View Single Post
Old 11-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: How To: Changing the Oil in a Saturn Outlook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingmn View Post
I just accomplished my first oil change on my 09 Outlook - I've been reading up on issues and paid particular attention to the oil filter change with the oil leaking down onto the motor mount. I was concerned about this and thought I'd try a little improvising to prevent the oil spill, and wanted to share my success.

I used a cut out empty 1 qt oil bottle, a small funnel, and a tube attached to the funnel.

Placed the cut out bottle directly underneath the oil filter deflection plate - bottle top facing forward, and placed the funnel directly under the bottle opening. I placed a 12 inch hose on the end of the funnel to make sure the oil made it down to the drip pan (found out while looking at the pictures that it wasn't really necessary unless the wind is a concern).

I had NO oil escape my improvised oil "channel"

Here are a few pictures.
I'll give that a shot. Nicely done. My usual trick of putting a disposable plastic cup over the filter doesn't work because of the angle of the filter.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote