View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 12:07 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn Stuck in 3rd Gear

The transmission selector lever in the console acts on a shift cable that connects to a movable selector unit on top of the transmission. Using the help of someone, get them to watch the selector unit on top of the transmission, whilst you move the gear selector inside the car. If that unit selector lever is not moving, then it looks like the problem may be between the gear selector on the console and the selector unit on top of the transmission.

The unit on top of the transmission is triangular in shape and made of plastic. I has a movable arm to which the shift cable connects by a ball & socket. The ball & socket pop from one another and the selector unit can be removed from the tranny top, but note its orientation.

Couple of years ago, I had to work on my son's L300 transmission to swap solenoids. I had to remove his selector unit to get access to a bell housing bolt. The ball & socket were not exactly moving freely after sitting there for 17 years. I cleaned it up and greased it. When I came to restart the car for the first time, I couldn't even get it to start. I was thinking what the hell have I done. Then the light bulb moment. I had forgotten to reconnect the ball and socket. So although I was moving the inside selector, nothing was happening at the tranny end. Once reconnected, everything worked fine.

I'm not suggesting this is your problem, but if you are going to investigate, know how the gears are selected and work forward from thr gear selector inside the car to where it connects to the transmission. If everything is found to be fine, then the problem is most likely inside the transmission.

Good luck
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote