Thread: Battery drain
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Battery drain

I cannot answer that as my recollection, following the threads here, is that one member posted this question to his dealer that replaced the ignition switch using a 'new and improved' one. You'll have to search the past threads from as far as last year or more to find this post. My best guess on this (and not to be taken as factual unless I can have one in my possession for disassembly) is that the grease interferes with the low voltage signal connecting across a set of standard contacts. The grease (slower acting in winter temps) prevents (possibly) light spring loaded contacts to 'make' or 'close', preventing the START signal from being received by the body control module (BCM) so silence results. Jiggling or heating the key allows transferring some of the heat into the lock cylinder but not the switch internals that are physically separate from the lock cylinder, with mixed results. The few members here with confidence simply did what was necessary to remove as much of the grease from the switch with no further problems. The grease problem in the Ion ignition switches runs parallel to some wiper motors that fail intermittently in freezing weather until owners took it upon themselves to disassemble their wiper mechanisms and removed/replaced the transmission grease, resulting in a perfectly working wiper motor running correctly in freezing temperatures. Go figure..................

There are many dealers/service people oblivious to Saturnfans and the ability to reach across the country to share immediate problems with a community willing to share solutions. GM/Saturn is well aware of us.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote