View Single Post
Old 10-04-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Who do you blame mostly for Saturn's burial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
While the UAW may be to blame for the American auto industry's problems as a whole, I take exception that they put Saturn at a greater disadvantage (at least to other American manufacturers).
This is true, but the fundamental problem is the fact that they put American manufacturers at a disadvantage to the foreign manufacturers. I initially thought GM management and the UAW should share the blame for the Company's problems. But now I'm thinking, isn't it management that ultimately gives in to the Union demands? And isn't it a management failure for not anticipating what legacy pension and benefit costs would mean down the road? As for Saturn, I think there was a failure in marketing. I think a lot of people still equated plastic bodies with "cheap", and that it probably compromised safety - both misconceptions. Going away from "a different kind of car" philosophy in favor of "rebadging" certainly doomed the division. For more recent blame, I think the brand was seriously tarnished by the VTi debacle. The VUE wheel bearing goof-up didn't help the reliability numbers either. Is Saturn or GM management the blame for these decisions? I'm inclined to give GM management 95% of the blame.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote