Thread: Oil Pan Removal
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Oil Pan Removal

Taking the oil pan off of a 2002 shouldn't be too hard (less rust on bolts). I can only provide insight based on the fact that I own a 1992 sl1.

-The oil pan uses RTV for the gasket. You will want to scrape off all the old gasket, clean with brake parts cleaner (carb cleaner leaves a residue), and apply new bead of GREY RTV.
-You will need to remove the exhaust downpipe.
-If you have an automatic, you will need to remove the transaxle-to-engine stiffener plate.
-Depending on design changes from 92 to 02 (remember, I am working on the basis that they are similar), you might want to remove some other things to help you like the passenger side wheel and splash guard.
-I found it helpful to jack the engine up a bit and put some blocks in between the lower engine dogbone mount and the frame. This helps in getting the pan out...kinda tricky.
-Before you apply the RTV to the pan, do a couple dry runs on getting the pan back in.

Have fun...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dixonba is offline   Reply With Quote