View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 03:36 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: ION Quad longevity query

It's great that you've been able to follow some very good service people from the Saturn of Whittier dealership. I actually had to go there to make a parts purchase many years ago. It was a service manager there who told me that these ECOTEC engines were "bullet proof." While the remark was hyperbolic, I've found my engine to be remarkably trouble free. I've kept my oil changes at about the same interval as you have. Dealerships will use a good quality oil and the filters are fine so you're in good shape. As you can see with my mileage below these engines can go for a long time. I'm hoping to get this one to cross the 300K mile mark! I, too, have had no major engine repair issues - only a water pump replacement.

As for suspension, while your Saturn and mine were using Opel platforms they're not unusually difficult to work on. I've done my own work on the rear suspension of my LS1. Apart from the struts, the only suspension parts replaced up front have been the sway bar bushings and links. If you're a AAA member you can get information on their affiliated independent repair shops to look for a place to perform any of the work you're concerned with. Otherwise, talk to friends and find out where they get their automotive repair work taken care of. Word of mouth is a great way to find a good shop. In general, any shop with a good reputation doing those types of repairs can handle a Saturn vehicle. Lastly, continue the oil change regimen and follow the factory service schedule of routine required maintenance. If you'll do those things, the likelihood for getting long life out of your car's powertrain is very high.

All the best to you, sir! It's great to meet another member in L A County!

326,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote