View Single Post
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: installing a Remote Start/Alarm in a 1995 SL2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyyEbyxoxo View Post
hello, I am wondering if I could install an aftermarket alarm system / Remote Start system into my 1995 SL2 5 speed, and If it would be quite difficult? it appears to be compatible with manual and automatic cars, and if so, would it be overly difficult? the model is a AutoStart AS-6880TWSU(US).
The order of difficulty depends on your basic electrical knowledge, understanding that almost every signal the alarm/remote start is of the wrong polarity from what the Saturn provides so relays are involved, and an actual FSM or subscription to ALLData for that car. The Haynes manual will not work.

There are very few people on here who have made these installs personally and are able to walk through the process. Each and every one of these units is sufficiently different from all the others to require some time and research to be able to intelligently advise a poster. MadPuppy can explain in detail how to install the unit he used into a 98 Saturn but that does not directly translate to a 95 as there are critical differences. The reason these alarm shops charge an arm and a leg to make these installs is you really do have to know what you are doing, have vehicle specific info, and stand on your head under the dash for a couple of hours. And even then the alarm shop will use crimp connectors and tap-a-lines and you can expect random failures in 3 to 4 years due to internal splice corrosion. So to do it right you have to be accomplished in wire splicing and soldering, or willing to learn a new skill.
They were not interested in posting the install for the AS-6880TWSU9US) but looking at the AS-6870TW with the wild assumption that there is some similarity the install looks possible as long as it is carefully thought out in advance and it appears that with options it should either start or leave you wit a non flooded engine and enough battery that you have a chance of starting the car yourself. I would talk to the local dealer and some customers and check the overall satisfaction before plunking down any real money.

Bottom line find local dealer and get access to the actual Saturn wiring information that they actually have. With that you or someone else can figure out what type of nightmare it might be to wire and setup.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote