Thread: battery drain
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: battery drain

No, you can load test in place but any terminal voltage with a no to minimal load of 7.6 volts indicates an internal battery failure, a dead cell or 2 usually. Completely discharged should show 11.2 volts NOT 7.6. A charger will eventually get enough charge that it will start but it will not ever hold a charge for long, dead again in 2-3 days.

Driving pattern is what kills them as it takes about 10 - 20 minutes of driving with all accessories, including lights, off to recharge the normal starter drain. Less than that is a slow decent to dead battery and maintaining a starting battery at less than a full charge rapidly destroys it.

My experience with Interstate low cost line of batteries was that I replaced them every 2 years if I want the car to start in the dead of northern Illinois winter. That was with adequate recharge time but no continuous maintainer.

This chart is for the type of battery you have in the car. SoC = State of Charge. The battery temperature does enter into this but anything below 11.7 V open circuit is a failed battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen-2017-12-14_17-57-59.jpg (140.0 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote