View Single Post
Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #12
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: new to me, 2006 saturn vue 102k miles horrible grinding in rear when AWD is engag

underthehood and Macantley,
I wouldn't replace the whole RDM until you drain old fluid and refill it. I would probably do this twice actually before you do anything else.... with definite drive time inbetween, where you engage the rear, like you Macantley, described. My 07 AWD system is pretty much quiet when it engages, but then I have done at least one drain and refill on it. It is due for another. Just don't blindly throw money away on a new RDM until you try the easy fix of a fluid change.

And, on a side note, I can verify that the system works in reverse also, as a day or so ago I was backing into my parking area at my house and the front tires started spinning in the mud, after a second or so, there was a slight kick and the backs grabbed and I backed in nice and smooth.

And for the folks who are saying that it is the carrier bearing.... I am kind of torn on this one.... my original carrier bearing appeared fine by multiple inspections, but it whined at me for over a year after I got the car, but made no different noises when the AWD engaged. The replacement bearing I put in has kind of rattled/ground since day one, but again, no other noise when the AWD engages.

John
aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote