View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #38
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: A/C questions upon installation of compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
One last question. When pulling the suction line out of the old compressor, it was pretty tight and I had to wiggle it back and forth while pulling, to get it out. I didn't look into the suction hole on the compressor but on the edge I saw the old O-ring. I left it in the old compressor when I returned it to Pep Boys for the core.

But when installing the new O-ring over the suction line, I installed it all the way down on the tube. And when pushing the line back into the new compressor, it went in really easily. Is there a chance I left something in the suction hole on the old compressor? As I mentioned in another post, even though the current suction line is torqued down, the line seems a little loose and can be moved back and forth. Or will this tighten up when the system is under pressure? Does the O-ring expand inside there? Thanks for any input.

(And I'm going to go back and loosen then re-tighten the three large bolts that I wasn't able to get my torque wrench on. Then I won't tighten them so hard.)

Jerry
You have pinched the o-ring between the edge of the compressor housing and the backing piece that holds the tube into the compressor. There is no o-ring grove. It will leak! The way those are supposed to be assembled is you place the 0-ring on the very end of the tube and thew will be a very shallow break in the outer edge of the compressor housing hole. with care you start the o-ring into the housing and let it rill down the tube as it is installed. The o-ring is just rolled between the tube and the hole. Install bolt and torque. Pressure will force the o-ring back to the rear of the ole if it needs to but usually they stay right where they finish up. that is why it was at the end of the tube when you pulled it out. It rolled to the end as you pulled it out. There is no o-ring grove in this system. You should remove the tube and replace the o-ring lube it all up and roll it into place. The trick is to get the tube in the o-ring and the assembly into the hole in the housing at the same time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote