View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #35
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C questions upon installation of compressor

Something isn't right as there shouldn't be any movement of the line; correct me if I'm wrong here but the line should have a swaged(?) shoulder about 1/2" in from the end of the line for the O-ring to rest on. As the line goes into the female coupler end of the compressor the O-ring should be felt as its squeezed between the outside diameter of the male fitting and the inside diameter of the female fitting with oil as lube. As the two ends fit together the loose nut is screwed onto the fixed fitting forcing the fittings together tightly, now compressing the O-ring as it seats between one flat of the male fitting and the other flat of the female fitting. This tight fit as the nuts are tightened becomes the pressure-proof seal. The O-ring sandwiched between two shoulders and the I.D./O.D. of both aluminum tubes. There shouldn't be any looseness at all and I think this will be a leak as the vacuum pump is turned on. Check this against the high pressure fitting. They should both feel the same when tightening/loosening. I think the O-ring may be the wrong size, the compressor fitting is oversize, or there might not be a completely tight fitting with a space. Although not correct, there may be room for two O-rings? Just writing the previous sentence is wrong. Are the two fittings pushed together as snug before running the nut on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote