View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Battery Disconect

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_J_ View Post
1) I park my cars for long amounts of time.
I have found that my batteries keep a charge longer if I install a battery disconnect.
One end of these devices attach to the negative battery terminal then attache the removed ground cable to the other end of the device.
There is a ‘hand-screw’ in the middle of the device that disconnects the battery connection when unscrewed a bit.
-
2) have installed these on my 1960's & 1970's full sized V-8 automobiles, both with top posts and side posts.
-
3) I purchased a disconnect unit to install on the 1995 SC-2 Saturn which I recently acquired.
Actually I paid double, about $20, for a Moroso brand to get something first class.
-
4) Now the size of the Saturn battery seems smaller I an used to.
I tried to screw in the unit. I managed to get both ends started, but I had trouble tightening things down. It just didn’t seem right.
-
5) Is it possible that the screw sizes are different for the Saturn battery.
Perhaps they are metric, and different from the batteries form the for the 50 year old V-8 cars that I am used to.
-
6) Do the screws for the Saturn battery terminals somehow have a different thread?
I abandoned my attempt to tighten down the disconnect device and returned it to its original condition.
-
7) Any suggestions about a battery disconnect device would be appreciated.
-
RJ
All side post batteries are 3/8 NC thread with a 5/16" head. A disconnect is fine for long term storage but just using a good maintainer has advantages over just leaving a battery set. Computer controlled cars do not take well to being powered down for long periods and then repowered multiple times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote