View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Brandonrr
Brandonrr has a spectacular aura aboutBrandonrr has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL1
Default 94 sc2 difficult to start in cold weather

I haven't poated here in a while, but have been lurking. Last september, i found my favorite s-series with crazy low miles and the right price. It had (verified with carfax) 33k miles. I have since sold my 97 sl1. I'm currently at 52k miles.

This issue started rearing its ugly head at the end of last winter. It would take 2 or 3 attemps of 4-5 second cranks for it to start. It would sputter a bit while trying to start. Once the weather warmed up, it went back to starting within half a second like normal. It has been fine unt it got cold again this year.

Now, it takes about 5 minutes of attempting to start it to get it to start. After it starts, it struggles to keep running until the rpms slowly drop to nothing and it stalls. After the 2nd or 3rd time, it stays running, but any throttle will bog it down. Once it has been running for a minute, it runs completely normal, with the exception of grey smoke when i jab the trottle in neutral when it is still somewhat cold. Any subsequent starts while the engine is still fairly warm are the normal half second start.

This morning after trying to start for about 4 minutes, i pulled a couple spark plugs and they were bone dry with a little white residue. After cycling the fuel pump about 10 times before cranking again, it relectantly started.

I HAVE replaced and updated the ECTS with the brass unit. It was the first thing i did when i got the car. I also replaced the thermostat, as it still stayed around 1/4 on the temp gauge. It has run a little over 3/8 since.

I just got back from the parts store with a new fuel filter. It's probably overdue anyway.

A search only showed ECTS being the issue for hard cold starts. Anybody know what else could cause my hard starting issues?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brandonrr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brandonrr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links