View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: 19999 SW1 temp gauge behaving oddly after radiator replacement

No leak that you can tell, though, right now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar7 View Post
there is a sort of gurgling/hissing sound coming from the coolant recovery tank but I can't tell for sure if there is a leak there.
Tape a clean paper towel under the cap. If there is steam escaping, the towel will catch it and be damp after a drive.
Or spend $3 for the cap like underthehood suggested, but I'm a serious tightwad three bucks is three bucks!

I get gurgling occasionally on my '02, never had it in my '98, but no harm done after almost a year of driving it. It's coolant returning to the back of the tank from the hose (de-aeration line) at the back, that runs along the firewall to the intake nipple

Quote:
Before the repair, (and after replacing the ECTS), the temperature gauge was consistently at 1/4 any time that the engine was warmed up. Now, the gauge goes up to 1/2 and sometimes a little over 1/2. . . .Mostly, I want to be sure that the car isn't running too hot.
the temp gauge is not a precision instrument, so running about 3/8~1/2 is "normal." You may not be really running hot at all.

For example: the temp gauge might show a tick over 1/4 in one Saturn, or it might show 1/2 in another, but the actual coolant temperature might be 205F in both cars

And as underthehood mentioned, the lower 1/4 reading may have been from low coolant, when you had the radiator leak. The ECTS is at a relatively high position in the cooling system

Best way is to check actual temperature by putting a thermometer in the return stream at the back of the surge tank/reservoir with the engine warmed up, or taking a live reading via OBDII if you have a reader that can see live data

Quote:
I forgot (silly me!) to replace the thermostat while I had the hoses off. Maybe I should have done that - and maybe I will need to?
Probably not, t-stat in these cars will fail open, so is not the source of the problem (if there is a problem)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote