View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Just Wont Start WIth New Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbcomposer View Post
Reads 12.29 With ignition off
Reads 12.17 With ignition on
I'm assuming that this information relates to the new battery.
If so, the voltage read above suggests that the battery had been sitting on a store shelf somewhere for too long without being tested. When I was in the automotive aftermarket world we were informed that batteries should be tested before they leave the store and if the charge was low then they needed to be hooked up to a charger and brought up to full strength. There is nothing new nor unusual in this as it is also true for car batteries to lose some of their charge if they sit in a vehicle which has not been driven for an extended period of time. (Hence, it is typically a good idea to disconnect a car's negative battery cable during such a time to prevent power from being drained while the car is "out of service.")

While 12.17 V is adequate to start a car's engine, I believe that you should hook this battery up to a "trickle" charger when you have the opportunity. This will bring the battery up to full capacity. The charging system (alternator and voltage regulator [integral to the alternator here]) relies on a battery in good working order to power every electrical accessory.

275,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote