View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #209
ehunter
ehunter has a spectacular aura aboutehunter has a spectacular aura about

Location: Pacifica by San Francisco – 5sp – Engine rebuild with the help of people here at 177K due to 500mi/qt oil consumption. After 2yrs I am back to 40mpg+ after discovering the refirb head I used was bad. Car runs better than a top. Now at 214k.

1996 SL2
Default Re: Cylinder Head Replacement on 96SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Yes, just the intake manifold. Find a round fiber brush and chuck it up in a variable speed drill and brush out all of the bolt holes for the timing cover and the head bolts once the deck is clean. After brushing blow them out with compressed air. Don't use any metal brush on aluminum. Gun shops should have .22, .25, .30, .38, .45, and .410 shotgun brushes that will work. Fiber is somewhat hard to find, may take some looking. The holes have to be brushed out to get the old RTV chunks and locktite out of them. Tightening a bolt into a hole with enough junk in it can break the block. Head bolt hole cleanliness is critical for proper torque.
I don’t know if this a regional thing, but yesterday I phoned two area gun shops to ask if they carry the brushes. The neither shop stocked them. The second shop told me they don’t stock them because none of their customers want or buy them. The guy I spoke to said he was a x-machine shop mechanic and they used to get their brushes from a particular race-shop auto store. I went there, they had them, and they are made of stiff stubby nylon. Three different sizes per pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
To prime the oil system on a Saturn engine after a complete overhaul, head replacement or long term storage perform the following steps.

-Fill crankcase with 4 1/2 quarts of fresh new 5w-30 oil. Use a decent quality name brand oil.

-Fill a squirt pistol type oiler with the same oil.

-……Etc
What does one of these squirt pistols look like and is there a special place to find them? Are these plastic squirt pistols for kids? Seems it would be pretty messy filling them up with oil.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4404.jpg (53.9 KB, 216 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehunter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehunter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehunter is offline   Reply With Quote