SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Spring Hill Plant? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80621)

slv01sc2 07-03-2006 08:06 AM

Spring Hill Plant?

Does anyone know what the Spring Hill Plant will be producing once the 07 Ion and Vue are out of production? I know that the Ion will stop being produced in December. How about the Vue? I really want my next car to come from that plant. Thanks for your responses!

Ritz 07-03-2006 08:53 AM

Re: Spring Hill Plant?

[QUOTE=slv01sc2]Does anyone know what the Spring Hill Plant will be producing once the 07 Ion and Vue are out of production? I know that the Ion will stop being produced in December. How about the Vue? I really want my next car to come from that plant. Thanks for your responses![/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, what is it about that plant that makes you WANT a car that's produced there? GM has production facilities all over the place.

Cheers,

twosaturns 07-03-2006 09:02 AM

I understand it's an emotional thing, but it's not a 'saturn' plant anymore, it's a 'GM' plant, and they no longer have the special UAW contract, so there really isn't anything special about it anymore.

Spazie 07-03-2006 09:34 AM

I think the VUE is being produced there through March, or at least that's what I've heard. Then it will be shut down for retooling for an extended period of time.

I'm hoping they'll build the Astra there for the 09 model year. It would make sense - retool everything so it's ready to build metal-sided cars (which will probably take a long time) and import the Astra while that's being done which is what we've been told will happen. After they're finished, build both the Opel and Saturn version of it in the same plant. The timeline fits, at least ... so maybe we will still get Saturns out of Spring Hill.

slv01sc2 07-03-2006 10:50 AM

I quess that the reason I want a car from that plant is that in my 15 years of driving the only kind of car that I've had is a Saturn. I just thought of Spring Hill as producing higher quality cars than other GM plants, but now it is just a regular GM plant so it really doesn't matter anymore. Does anyone know about the people working there and what they'll be doing as the plant is retooled?

On_The_ION_Line 07-03-2006 01:22 PM

The rumor is, A new product will be announced in Aug. or Sep. My guess is that it will be a 2009 or 2010 model.....

red96 07-03-2006 04:51 PM

The new model that will be built at Spring Hill WILL NOT include a Saturn. An anouncement on a new vechical could come as soon a August.

red96 07-03-2006 04:57 PM

[QUOTE=slv01sc2] I just thought of Spring Hill as producing higher quality cars than other GM plants, but now it is just a regular GM plant so it really doesn't matter anymore. Does anyone know about the people working there and what they'll be doing as the plant is retooled?[/QUOTE]

What make YOU think just because it a [B]"regular GM Plant" [/B]not one cares. It the same work force with the same processes that have always been building these car and trucks for years.
Please let me know what has changed the quality.

John10 07-03-2006 07:47 PM

[QUOTE=red96]What make YOU think just because it a [B]"regular GM Plant" [/B]not one cares. It the same work force with the same processes that have always been building these car and trucks for years.
Please let me know what has changed the quality.[/QUOTE]

red96- I'm sure you are correct but you have to remember one thing...."A different kind of car, a different kind of company" may have been one of the most successful marketing campaigns Saturn ever had. Saturn spent a lot of time and effort emphasizing its difference from other manufacturers; including GM, its own parent. The company was indeed successful in convincing many people that Spring Hill was a special place. Given all of that, Saturn owner loyalty to the Spring Hill plant should not surprise anyone regardless of what is happening in the company today.

red96 07-03-2006 11:33 PM

Spring Hill will always be a speical place reguardless of what they build.

wlhawk 07-09-2006 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=John10]red96- I'm sure you are correct but you have to remember one thing...."A different kind of car, a different kind of company" may have been one of the most successful marketing campaigns Saturn ever had. Saturn spent a lot of time and effort emphasizing its difference from other manufacturers; including GM, its own parent. The company was indeed successful in convincing many people that Spring Hill was a special place. Given all of that, Saturn owner loyalty to the Spring Hill plant should not surprise anyone regardless of what is happening in the company today.[/QUOTE]

When Saturn becomes just another GM car, I may buy from another mfg.

Uzzy 07-09-2006 10:54 PM

[QUOTE=red96]What make YOU think just because it a [B]"regular GM Plant" [/B]not one cares. It the same work force with the same processes that have always been building these car and trucks for years.
Please let me know what has changed the quality.[/QUOTE]
Considering a great deal of their first employees came from the big van plant that shut down in Michigan (where, exactly escapes me right now). It was always a [B]"regular GM Plant" [/B], with a "special contract" that the union workers walked all over until it was uncerimoniously dissolved.

spork 07-10-2006 02:39 PM

I think what it is, is that you reap what you sow. GM has been producing crap quality and relying on people buying gas hog SUV's. Now GM and the workers are paying the price. 30,000 workers laid off, and their stock price in the toilet.

One would hope a disaster of these proportions would fix the problems.

cdp326 07-10-2006 03:10 PM

[QUOTE=spork]I think what it is, is that you reap what you sow. GM has been producing crap quality and relying on people buying gas hog SUV's. Now GM and the workers are paying the price. 30,000 workers laid off, and their stock price in the toilet.

One would hope a disaster of these proportions would fix the problems.[/QUOTE]
So what did it mean when Toyota introduced 4 all-new SUVs to the American market over the last 5 years? What did it mean when Nissan introduced their own full-size SUVs and pickups? What about the fact that Consumer Reports actually doesn't recommend the Nissan/Infiniti offerings because of poor quality? Since they're not GM though, it's OK, right? :no: