SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Passlock bypass (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45233)

Spiral 12-04-2004 02:05 PM

Passlock bypass

Yesterday when I was visiting a friend in wisconsin I stopped at a gas station to fill up, I went inside and paid got back and tried to turn on the car but the key wouldnt turn. After about an hour of doing the usual tricks of unjambing the cylinder I decided not to mess with it anymore and pull it out, seens you need to have it in the acc position to push the pin to take the cylinder out I decided to call up a buddy and have him bring his slide hammer so we could do it the brute force way. All fun and games, got the cylinder out and found I couldnt start the car because of the passlok, after about another hours of holding the lock cylinder up against the little sensor thingy I got it to start and I was able to get the car home, but now I cant get the ar started anymore. Unfortunely I need to drive the car tomorrow and I have school monday, and I cant get a new steering column until monday evening. So I was wondering if there was way I could bypass the passlock until then?

BTW it is a 2000 Saturn SL1

Any help would be much appreiated...

Cruel Night 12-04-2004 02:24 PM

Re: Passlock bypass

That happened to me earlier this year... we got it started once, but never again, so we had to get it towed. When we got it fixed, they had to replace the entire key mechanism... apparently it was due to having a heavy keychain... which isn't all that heavy.. but yea, it's a pain in the butt. An not that i'm aware of... Does it say anything in the manual?

Spiral 12-04-2004 03:48 PM

I doubt the manual is gonna tell you howto bypass a theft deterent device... But hell Ive been know to be wrong at times :)

ssicarman 12-04-2004 04:20 PM

No way that I know of to bypass the passlock system. You have caused it to do what it is designed to do, prevent the car from being started when the ignition is tampered with. I am amazed that it started the once after you ripped out the cylinder with the slide hammer.
At this point you will need to replace the ignition cylinder housing, the ignition cylinder, rekey it and repalce the key. After all that the pass lock will need to be reprogrammed as well. I would take a solid guess and say that the key is likely the source of the problem in the first place. I bet that if you compare it to a less used key you will find that it is extremely worn, the high points will no longer be there.

AlphaGeek 12-04-2004 05:20 PM

I'm afraid your toast. I recently learned a TON about how the passlock systems work. My 96 Grand Am spazed due to a broken wire, and ended with a screwed up passlock system.. I got it fixed, but in trying to not spend a bunch of money - I researched bypassing it.

Basically in GMs (including saturn) - Passlock talked to the BCM (body control module) which sends a password to the ECM (engine control module). Since the BCM/ECM is tied to the whole running of the car, there is no short way to circumvent this.

Bummer for you - I know, I've been there! Actually it was the final straw that had me get rid of it and traded it in on my ION.

Yes, the ION has a similar system, but the 96 had passlock I, this car has passlock 3... No bypassing either, but the new one is more reliable---- Until you break a key piece like you did.

Good luck...

wolfman 12-05-2004 04:45 AM

Once the lock is pulled you are indeed screwed. ALL Passlock systems CAN be bypassed PROVIDED they are currently operational. (You have a key that starts the car "normally") I have bypassed them numerous times installing remote starters for people. A LINK on where to purchase a bypass module
[url]http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm100040.htm[/url] one of several that are available. Saturns did NOT get the Passlock 1 system AT ALL. The Passlock II was introduced in the 00' model year. ("S" series) ALL "L", ION, VUE and Relay? models are Passlock II equiped. I am unaware of any "Passlock III" system. Another earlier GM system was called VATS, but no Saturn had this system. The GM Passkey (lock?) 3 system is similiar to Fords Passkey system and uses transponder equiped KEYS. It can ALSO be bypassed using a module and and a working programmed key transponder that MUST stay hidden in the module itself inside the vehicle. (It does NOT need to be in the ignition lock itself)

AlphaGeek 12-05-2004 09:20 AM

Oops...

Wolfman is correct. They can be 'enhanced' so that remote starters can be used.... However, this isn't bypassing it in the sense that most people ask for once their broken.

The bypass modules don't really elminate the passkey or passlock, just give a way to start the car w/o the key in the ignition. However, they require you to be able to start the car to program.

FireMate 12-05-2004 09:41 AM

To add to Wolfman's post, the new Relays are using the Passkey III system, in which there is a chip in the key. This does have its bennifts, for instance:

The Relay can be personalized to remember all of driver 1's radio stations, presets, last station, etc, and then when driver 2 of the household get's in the van, using his or her key, the van recognizes it and brings up all of his radio station settings, etc... There are more things that the Relay can do in this regard, but that's just a basic summary.

As to the issue with the ignition cylinder on the S-series... I can only recommend you go OEM for the ignition cylinder. It may be a wee bit more than an aftermarket ignition cylinder, but will be far more reliable in the future. Weights, like small flashlights, a ton of keys, key chains, stuffed animals (I've seen it) and more causes a lot of weight/stain on the fragile metal fragments inside.

Spiral 12-05-2004 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=wolfman]Once the lock is pulled you are indeed screwed. ALL Passlock systems CAN be bypassed PROVIDED they are currently operational. (You have a key that starts the car "normally") I have bypassed them numerous times installing remote starters for people. A LINK on where to purchase a bypass module
[url]http://www.commandoalarms.com/itm100040.htm[/url] one of several that are available. Saturns did NOT get the Passlock 1 system AT ALL. The Passlock II was introduced in the 00' model year. ("S" series) ALL "L", ION, VUE and Relay? models are Passlock II equiped. I am unaware of any "Passlock III" system. Another earlier GM system was called VATS, but no Saturn had this system. The GM Passkey (lock?) 3 system is similiar to Fords Passkey system and uses transponder equiped KEYS. It can ALSO be bypassed using a module and and a working programmed key transponder that MUST stay hidden in the module itself inside the vehicle. (It does NOT need to be in the ignition lock itself)[/QUOTE]

Alright, Well Im picking up a new steering column tomorrow. Would I be able to install that and everything should work fine? or will I need to have the passlock system re-programmed or something?

AlphaGeek 12-05-2004 05:45 PM

If you replace the cylinder, depending on which exact version of passlock/passkey, you WILL need to relearn the codes. If you have an ODB-II scanner, you have a chance to do this yourself (search the web for passlock relearn)..

The process isn't that hard, but before it can be attempted all codes must be cleared from the computer. This is what stopped me from doing this myself to my grand am before trading up to the ION... I didn't have access to a scan tool and couldn't justify it just to fix that given that the ION can't use the same tool.

Good luck.

Spiral 12-05-2004 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=AlphaGeek]If you replace the cylinder, depending on which exact version of passlock/passkey, you WILL need to relearn the codes. If you have an ODB-II scanner, you have a chance to do this yourself (search the web for passlock relearn)..

The process isn't that hard, but before it can be attempted all codes must be cleared from the computer. This is what stopped me from doing this myself to my grand am before trading up to the ION... I didn't have access to a scan tool and couldn't justify it just to fix that given that the ION can't use the same tool.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

I have the snap on solus scanner but my buddy who worked for saturn said I need a tech 2 scanner to reprogram it. Thanks for the infor though and Ill google that to see if I get any more insight.

wolfman 12-05-2004 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=Spiral]I have the snap on solus scanner but my buddy who worked for saturn said I need a tech 2 scanner to reprogram it. Thanks for the infor though and Ill google that to see if I get any more insight.[/QUOTE]

The PASSLOCK program is in the BCM (Body Control Module) this is PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE. A generic scan tool WILL NOT WORK. You'll need a dealer with a tech II for this one..sorry.

BobL 12-05-2004 08:13 PM

A true shame that Passlock wasn't an option instead of standard.

It's trash like this that puts many otherwise sound older vehicles into an early grave.

At least you can pull out a bad aftermarket alarm if you felt the need to install one and the need passed or the alarm died.

AlphaGeek 12-05-2004 09:01 PM

You have a buddy that works for saturn??? You're best bet is to use the contacts you have. - Can he get you access to a mechanic w/ a tech2 odb scanner.

If you're lucky, a quick clear of the BCM codes and a relearn and you'll be good to go... If your unlucky, this thing can be picky as all hell to get back right once one part is messed up.

You're stuck in the middle of a bad place.. You have enough knowledge to repair the physical part, but the electronics here is gonna be tougher to get back right.

Pisses me off.... All this high tech stuff.. And if we went back to the old way - all it takes is a screwdriver for some dork to steal our toys.... Talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Spiral 12-05-2004 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=AlphaGeek]You have a buddy that works for saturn??? You're best bet is to use the contacts you have. - Can he get you access to a mechanic w/ a tech2 odb scanner.

If you're lucky, a quick clear of the BCM codes and a relearn and you'll be good to go... If your unlucky, this thing can be picky as all hell to get back right once one part is messed up.

You're stuck in the middle of a bad place.. You have enough knowledge to repair the physical part, but the electronics here is gonna be tougher to get back right.

Pisses me off.... All this high tech stuff.. And if we went back to the old way - all it takes is a screwdriver for some dork to steal our toys.... Talk about stuck between a rock and a hard place.[/QUOTE]

No, because if I clear the codes and do the relearn with the tech2 and that doesnt work Ill jsut rip the pcm out and send it out to reprogram it with passlock disabled :D

spencerb 12-05-2004 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=BobL]It's trash like this that puts many otherwise sound older vehicles into an early grave.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't think this fix will be more than a couple hundred bucks. I know that [i]I[/i] wouldn't trash a car for that.

In my 97 SL2 the key would refuse to turn sometimes. The dealer said they could fix it for about $130 parts and labor. I'm not exactly sure which part would be replaced (cylinder?), but they said they would have to rekey it to match my old keys.

Spiral 12-05-2004 09:53 PM

[QUOTE=spencerb]I wouldn't think this fix will be more than a couple hundred bucks. I know that [i]I[/i] wouldn't trash a car for that.

In my 97 SL2 the key would refuse to turn sometimes. The dealer said they could fix it for about $130 parts and labor. I'm not exactly sure which part would be replaced (cylinder?), but they said they would have to rekey it to match my old keys.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Im not going over $100... I have too many tools and resources to do so, hehe. But definately I cant trash the car, this is my only means of transportation in the winter and I wont risk letting my impala rust over something like this =)

oh yea and to mention... why throw a 2000 saturn away over a damn passlock problem, this kind of mentality is just crazy...

scarryomen 12-06-2004 08:11 PM

ive just bought a 02 sc2 a couple of months ago and my wife couldnt get the key to turn in the ignition. so after a hour of messing with it i climbed in and grabbed the steering wheel and realized it was locked, doh. so releasing it off the locks (move steering wheel a little bit) and wow the key moved. old technolgy and the first thing i did was blame the theft lock system. i just felt so dumb and my best friend is a mechanic laft his butt off when i told him. never blame new technology before looking at the problem completly

Spiral 12-06-2004 08:30 PM

[QUOTE=scarryomen]ive just bought a 02 sc2 a couple of months ago and my wife couldnt get the key to turn in the ignition. so after a hour of messing with it i climbed in and grabbed the steering wheel and realized it was locked, doh. so releasing it off the locks (move steering wheel a little bit) and wow the key moved. old technolgy and the first thing i did was blame the theft lock system. i just felt so dumb and my best friend is a mechanic laft his butt off when i told him. never blame new technology before looking at the problem completly[/QUOTE]

Yea, I tried all that... beleive me... haha :D

I used to be a mechanic, well was working on it before I realized I didnt like working on cars everyday then I started going to school for engineering. wolfman probably remembers some of my noobish posts over at saturnspot a few years back when I had my 94 sl2, then I had a 95 sl2 turbo I did and that was just too much fun :zzz: , but that car was pretty sexy

[IMG]http://xbins.org/~spiral/cars/images/saturn1.gif[/IMG]

Now I have a 93 supercharged bonneville (trying to sell) a 1995 Impala SS and a 2000 saturn sl1 I use as my winter beater

Spiral 12-06-2004 08:32 PM

double post