SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   SaturnFans Server Outage (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2873)

Charlie 07-23-2001 09:48 PM

SaturnFans Server Outage

Earlier today some of you may have noticed that this message board, the SaturnFans photo gallery, and links database was not working properly. I'm working on a permanent fix, but in case it happens again I wanted to let everyone know why its happening.

The Saturnalia is experiencing "growing pains".

Its sounds silly, but its true. I'm not sure what happened, but visitor traffic to SaturnFans.com has surged since the end of June. Hits to this web site have never been higher. I'll be posting a more formal announcement about this soon, but for the first time SaturnFans is going to serve more than [b]1/2 million pages[/b] in one month.

My web host notified me of the increased traffic volume earlier this month, and I upgraded my server. As a result of the continued growth, I will be upgrading the server again.

Five years ago when I created Saturnalia, I never dreamed that this site would draw so much traffic. I remember when I had just 20 people visiting the site each day. I owe a big "thank you" to all the SaturnFans members and visitors who have helped make the site what it is today. SaturnFans wouldn't have lasted as long as it has without everyone's feedback and support.

I hope to put these recent server glitches behind us very soon. Next month, I will start implementing a number of other improvements to the site that I've been working on behind the scenes. I think you'll like what's coming...

Thanks again for your patronage,
Charlie

John10 07-23-2001 10:12 PM

Interesting that this subject area would see such an increase in usage. I think we should all chip in and buy Charlie a Saturn as a reward for all his hard work.

SpeedPlayer 97sl2 07-24-2001 01:16 AM

Charlie, I think you deserve a great pat on the back (and a free Saturn!) for all the time and effort you've put in the past years to make this site the great site that it is today. I first found this site three years ago, and have been actively visiting this site and message board for the past two years. It's amazing to see how much this site has grown over the years, especially since you have changed the URL to www.saturnfans.com. I'm glad to have been around to see that progress.

Hehe...I think more people visit this site everyday than the official Saturn Corp. site.

Here's to many more years of Saturnalia.

Phil 07-24-2001 10:24 AM

Congrats on your fine work, Charlie. Too bad this isn't 2-3 years ago- you could have gone for an IPO and made yourself a mint! I just noticed an Orbitz ad- is advertising starting to pick up a bit?

It would be interesting to see stats against the corportate Saturn site, but I seriously doubt they would release those- might prove embarrassing for them.

Patrick_97SC2 07-30-2001 07:00 PM

I get about 5k page views and about 450 unique visitors to my site right now. Not to bad considering its been up since April.

At any rate, I'm sure Charlie blows corporate out of the water in hit just because the Saturn site isn't interactive. One of the keys in internet marketing is having stuff for people to come back to. Online communities are pretty neat to watch. You get a couple of poeple talking then tell others about it. They join in and before you know it, it spreads like the plaque lol. I've been impressed with all the information that Charlie gets and how clean the site still is after all the information.

-Patrick

100KSW2 07-30-2001 07:44 PM

A couple of years ago the Saturn Corp site used to win awards for being innovative, but like the S series cars, I think the rest of the www world has passed it by. They do refresh it once in a while (and not always for the better - meaning ease of use, etc.), but I think it has probably only been redone about every 6 to 9 months, and doesn't change that much from week to week let alone DAILY. Thanks to Charlie, we get more timely information HERE than you can get at the Saturn website or probably at MOST Saturn retailers (I tipped mine off to SaturnFans). Charlie also has a staff of one, so he doesn't have to run everything by a million committees before it gets posted.

Thank you Charlie! At 6'5" and 260 lbs I am surely one of your "biggest" fans. :-)

Diggs 07-30-2001 08:26 PM

Jim,

Don't get on the other end of my teeter-totter unless you want to spend a lot of time in the air. ;-) I'm also 6'5", but 260 was a while ago. I think I may be Charlie's "biggest" fan.

Diggs

OPEC 07-30-2001 10:05 PM

Whoa! 1/2 million pages served?

Nice

Charlie 07-31-2001 05:00 PM

Thanks for your kind words! Like I've said before, SaturnFans.com wouldn't be the site it is today without the feedback and support from everyone.

Charlie