SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Polls and Questions (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Have You Toured the Saturn Plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24456)

Charlie 09-07-2003 08:01 PM

Have You Toured the Saturn Plant in Spring Hill?

Have you toured Saturn's manufacturing facility in Spring Hill, TN? When did you go? Would you go back again?

Charlie

Charlie 09-07-2003 08:10 PM

Most certainly!

09-07-2003 08:11 PM

I was going to go, but it turned out that the week I begged off on bended knee was the same week that the plant shut down for turnover. That sucked, big time. Hopefully the Homecoming will show up sooner rather than later, in which case I can say I need time off from work for "religious reasons". I'm goin' to Mecca, baby.

MaxSL2 09-07-2003 08:39 PM

That's funny! I had the same prob. this summer. I was going down to visit some relatives in FL in late June and was going to stop but found out the plant closed 2-3 days before I was going to leave and woudn't be open again until the day after I had to be home :(

John10 09-07-2003 08:40 PM

I was fortunate enough to get on all of the three different tours provided in the 1999 Homecoming. From everything I was told, that included more than what is normally available. If I ever get back to the Nashville area, I'd be very interested in seeing the plant again as it is now configured to produce the VUE, ION and the Ecotec engine.
What has been particular frustrating to me is Saturn's lack of a tour through the Wilmington plant because that is only a 90 minute drive from my home.

Xanatos 09-07-2003 08:54 PM

Unfortuantely I have never had an opportunity to go. I think next time I'm out in Ohio I'll take a day trip to Spring Hill to go tour the plant however.

Maybe Homecoming will come in 2004, and we can all meet there :)

Stn Dvr 09-07-2003 08:54 PM

I toured the plant during the last Saturn Homecoming. Yes, I was impressed with the cleanliness and the overall operation of the facility.

swoker183 09-07-2003 10:10 PM

i havent been there, but hope to go there someday

mikthehickNC 09-07-2003 10:48 PM

i want to go, but not by myself--Homecoming or a Saturnfans kinda ordeal would be awesome :)

John10 09-08-2003 06:35 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by mikthehickNC [/i]
[B]i want to go, but not by myself--Homecoming or a Saturnfans kinda ordeal would be awesome :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ordeal?????? Don't tell me that you are one of those who sits in the backseat and asks "Are we there yet?" ;)

Spazie 09-08-2003 07:02 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Xanatos [/i]
[B]Unfortuantely I have never had an opportunity to go. I think next time I'm out in Ohio I'll take a day trip to Spring Hill to go tour the plant however.

Maybe Homecoming will come in 2004, and we can all meet there :) [/B][/QUOTE]

That's one heck of a long day trip! It's a good 8 hour drive from the southernmost Ohio border to Spring Hill, Tenn. That's where my dad's family is from and he goes there all the time, but I haven't gone with him yet, and haven't seen the Saturn plant, but my brother has! He didn't tour it, though.

Galileo 09-08-2003 07:15 AM

No

I haven't been to Spring Hill, but I did get the opportunity to tour the Wilmington, DE plant where they build the L-Series. Cynthia Trudell was there that day and talked to our group.... pretty exciting.

On a side note I met Jill Lajdziak a few weeks ago when she visited the Saturn of York, PA facility. She's not very tall but very well spoken and easy to talk to. Sorry, I had to brag! :p

eRic 02sc2 09-08-2003 08:02 AM

i've been there three times. homecoming (1994), homecoming 1999, and the saturn performance pilgrimage in 1998.

CanVueYes! 09-08-2003 10:40 AM

Visited there during the 1999 Homecoming.

Things must have changed a lot with the addition of the VUE and ION production lines.

Sure would like to go back if there is another Homecoming. Last time the Homecoming was for my former little SL2, and next time for my little VUE to see its mama.:cry:

rebelchic 09-08-2003 12:36 PM

Nope, but I don't really have an excuse. One of my friends lives out there so one of these days I'll drive west and check it out.

bravesfann23 09-08-2003 04:11 PM

No but maybe one day soon.

Hiddenlites 09-08-2003 10:48 PM

Haven't been there, YET.

BradJK 09-09-2003 03:58 AM

I haven't been there yet as it is just too far away. Now if they offered Spring hill delivery of new Saturns So I could fly one way and drive a new car home I would be there in a flash

SaturnWife 09-09-2003 09:56 AM

Saturn Homecoming 99

I was very fortunate to visit the plant during the Saturn Homecoming in July of 99. I went down with three of my friends and my, at the time, brand new red three door coupe. My husband is a sales consultant with Saturn and actually had to work, so I went without him! Needless to say, he was a "little" jealous!
The workers were all so excited to see us and most of them had signs that they held up saying, thank you. We were able to sign a wall and wave at everyone. It was a hot, but fun three days!

MydnightMyst 09-09-2003 01:47 PM

The first time I went was in 1998 with the SPC and SPS Rally. Our first SPC Rally!!! It was hot, humid, yucky, but FUN!
Second time was just this year, again with the Rally! Much better weather wise (except for the rain during the autocross IN Saturn's parking lot!), and still TONS of fun!!!
I know we will go again someday. :)
You're missing out on quite the experience if you haven't gone yet, but if you don't find that kind of thing interesting, then there's no point in going.
I am always fascinated because I am a factory worker and I had never been in a plant bigger than my own on Dryden Rd. until I visited the Corvette and Saturn plants. The Saturn plant could fit two Corvette or Truck and Bus plants in it, it's THAT huge!!!!
The people there are really cool. The tour is really awesome..
The area is just beautiful to visit. :grnjump: :grnjump: