SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   L-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Saturn l200 2001 (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233980)

Johnathan207 03-07-2018 04:35 PM

Saturn l200 2001

Is the 02 sensor in the catalytic converter or somewhere else I canít find it?

fdryer 03-07-2018 04:53 PM

Re: Saturn l200 2001

There are two O2 sensors, one on the exhaust manifold (possibly hidden by a heat shield) as the precat/main sensor (HO2S-1) and the post cat sensor (HO2S-2) downstream of the catalytic converter.

If there's an error code, what is it?

pierrot 03-07-2018 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Johnathan207;2267457]Is the 02 sensor in the catalytic converter or somewhere else I canít find it?[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]Welcome to SaturnFans, [B][I][COLOR="blue"]Johnathan207[/COLOR]![/I][/B]

If you're looking for the "Upstream" O2 sensor then look carefully at the connection between the exhaust manifold and the flex pipe segment at the head of the exhaust system. If it's like the one shown in the picture from my car then it is somewhat obscured by the exhaust manifold heat shield. The view is from above and at the driver side.

To find the "Downstream" sensor you'd need to be underneath the car. It's past the converter, pointing outward toward the passenger side.

When removing either of these sensors it is best to tighten it slightly to break seal of the threads. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works. Then proceed to loosen it. You should use an O2 sensor socket for the upstream sensor. It's possible to get by with a wrench on the downstream sensor. [/SIZE][/FONT]

rb6667 03-08-2018 08:57 AM

[B]Pierrot's[/B] Post is spot on.

One suggestion however. Bring your old sensor with you to the part store. When I replaced mine several years ago, the wire on the new one was a little shorter than the OEM. Barely enough room to re-connect it after I re-routed it. I suspect this part is used on other vehicles and is not exactly the same length as the one the factory used. New sensor worked fine as it did turn off my Check engine light.

I think I used a NGK sensor. ( Came in a Bright Green Box) Check on the Bosch or AC Delco to possibly avoid this.

pierrot 03-08-2018 10:37 AM

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]^Good call, [B][I][COLOR="blue"]rb6667[/COLOR]![/I][/B] That's a really helpful suggestion. I replaced the upstream sensor on my car with a Bosch O2 sensor and the wire length was fine - no problems with fitment of any kind. [/SIZE][/FONT]

rb6667 03-09-2018 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=pierrot;2267488][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]^Good call, [B][I][COLOR="blue"]rb6667[/COLOR]![/I][/B] That's a really helpful suggestion. I replaced the upstream sensor on my car with a Bosch O2 sensor and the wire length was fine - no problems with fitment of any kind. [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

^^^ Good to know the Bosch has the correct cable length. I'll know next time when one of my other L's need one.

Thanks for the tip!