SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Transmission after fluid change (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233978)

trainer 03-07-2018 06:31 AM

Transmission after fluid change

95sc2 after fluid and filter change had shift into reverse that would instead go forwards a couple feet and then slam into reverse and back up ok, Then shifting to D went forward fine, but shifting to R again went forward a little then slam to R. did this repeatedly car was not running hot just in parking lot, fluid level was OK, next day after parking overnight all gears shift fine.What just happened?

2NDSOUT 03-07-2018 08:04 AM

Re: Transmission after fluid change

You just experienced the Saturn auto trans "Reverse Slam".

Wolfman, wrote a write up a few years ago. Here is his procedure to fix the reverse slam. The procedure in the thread below doesn't post the pictures, but it does have the full write up. It may or may not work for you, but if you have tools, or friends with tools- it may be worth a try.

[url]http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113766[/url]

Catch-TwentyTwo 03-07-2018 01:07 PM

Try the "Lucas" for transmissions, it works and with my Saturn the "reverse slam" is considerably less when using it....

A trick I found with my Saturn is when it doesn't want to go into reverse, put your left foot on the brake and hold it, shift to neutral and tap the gas to SLIGHTLY rev the engine, while it is revving up shift into reverse, on mine it shifts as normal doing this rather the loud slam...

We had also had BAD trans fluid when the problems started we did a full trans fluid change, waited a week changed it again, then a month later. It got all that crap out.... It was that bad, so be sure to keep up on the trans fluid changes it has helped a lot!

Saturn Night 03-07-2018 01:47 PM

If Wolfman's "fix" doesn't solve your problem, plan on replacing your valve body real soon.

That problem [B]WILL[/B] get worse, due to internal wear and boring of the boost pressure valve.

If left to get really bad, the input shaft nut gets loosened, and that nut is no longer available from GM. It is also a torque-to-yield nut, which means it is not recommended to be reused, when you take it off the shaft.(Obviously it has to be reused now and even that is quite a process...)

The internal wear is caused by not changing the transmission fluid at the regularly-scheduled interval of 30-months/30,000-miles(whichever occurs first).

Lucas does work, and may provide a temporary "life extension" of your current valve body.

billr 03-07-2018 05:39 PM

I gotta ask... was the new fluid Dex3 or Dex6? Dex6 doesn't seem to work well with this type trans.

trainer 03-08-2018 03:19 PM

well It was reverse slam that first day as I mentioned afterthe fluid change which was to mobil1 fluid,BUT as I said ever since that one day my transmission shifts perfectly and better in all gears than ever before so I am not having any problem,just bafffled why it slammed that first day immediately after fluid change.Is it possible new fluid did not get distributed thoroughly for a few shifts and maybe air was trapped inside valve body for a while?Or could new filter have taken out some sort of particles that were causing slam and now these particles are trapped in filter and no longer causing trouble?I was surprised that after first day several slams transmission has run perfectly.I am reluctant to change valve body on a car that has no shifting problems, if starts up again will have to consider that if wolfman's trick fails.But for now shifts like new, just cannot understand what happened.Is it strange to get slams first day after changing fluid and filter?

toggenburg 03-08-2018 04:05 PM

Gotta remember, draining the transmission does not drain the torque converter....But when the trans goes through it's 'gears', the new and old fluids mix. So, probably 20% is still the OLD fluid.