SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   2008 Vue (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Alternator Replacement 2008 Vue XE 3.5L (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232687)

bghouse 10-02-2017 04:25 PM

Alternator Replacement 2008 Vue XE 3.5L

Hello,
I am hoping someone can give me some direction on the tensioner for a friend's 08 VUE XE 3.5L. I am having trouble finding any information for this particular engine. I am trying to replace the alternator & need to confirm if the tension is relieved by wrenching clockwise or counter-clockwise? It appears it should be CW but I got the tool from auto zone and going CW but unlike other tensioners I've worked w/, its not moving & relieving the tension. I don't want to snap the bolt either. I've never worked on a Saturn so I want to make sure the bolt doesn't need to be loosened by wrenching CCW in order for the tensioner to move. Any & all help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

lord_varon 10-02-2017 10:04 PM

Re: Alternator Replacement 2008 Vue XE 3.5L

bghouse,
Double check the year and engine size. The 3.5 was not available in 2008 as an engine choice.... An 08 should have a 3.6... Wait... never mind, it seems that GM put a pushrod 3.5 in there..... hmmmm... interesting... not sure what to say now.

john

ruley73 10-02-2017 10:59 PM

Re: Alternator Replacement 2008 Vue XE 3.5L

[QUOTE=bghouse;2255973]Hello,
I am hoping someone can give me some direction on the tensioner for a friend's 08 VUE XE 3.5L. I am having trouble finding any information for this particular engine. I am trying to replace the alternator & need to confirm if the tension is relieved by wrenching clockwise or counter-clockwise? It appears it should be CW but I got the tool from auto zone and going CW but unlike other tensioners I've worked w/, its not moving & relieving the tension. I don't want to snap the bolt either. I've never worked on a Saturn so I want to make sure the bolt doesn't need to be loosened by wrenching CCW in order for the tensioner to move. Any & all help would be appreciated!
Thanks![/QUOTE]

The bolt holds the belt tensioner to the timing cover. You would only remove this bolt if you are replacing the belt tensioner. Do NOT loosen the bolt to relieve the belt tension. There is a 3/8" square opening in the end of the arm that holds the pulley intended for a belt tensioner tool. When looking at the timing cover you would turn the tensioner arm clockwise to relieve the belt tension.

If you can fit a 3/8" ratchet in there you can use that too, but usually there isn't enough space. In my experience the serpentine belt tool commonly sold in parts stores doesn't work on many GM vehicles because the top right engine mount gets in the way. If you can find a low profile 3/8" drive breaker bar you'll have better luck using that.