SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Astra General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Throttle Body (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232066)

FreedomSoftware 07-31-2017 09:28 PM

Throttle Body

So I was driving a bit ago down a country road doing about 45. My check engine light came on and it felt like the top half of my gas peddle didn't do anything. Has any one encountered this issue? I'm gonna get a scanner from work tomorrow and get the code for the light and see exactly what it is. I cleaned the throttle body about 5 or 6 months ago so I feel that's not the issue.

emg77 08-01-2017 07:21 AM

Re: Throttle Body

Yeah, check the code. The only time I seriously lost power was when my coil pack went. It started running rough, seemed like it was going to stall, and didn't have much power. It was an instant change, and the engine light came on almost immediately. Luckily I was about a 1/4 mile from home, so I limped it home, put my spare coil pack in the next day, and then ordered a new one. I can't remember the code, but it wasn't super clear that it was a coil, but it did mention a misfire in one of the cylinders. After that experience my spare coil took up permanent residence in my trunk, as well as a small tool kit, so I could change it if I needed to on the road.

Hopefully it's that simple for you. I'm sure we'll know more if you post the code.

FreedomSoftware 08-02-2017 05:09 PM

[QUOTE=emg77;2250172]Yeah, check the code. The only time I seriously lost power was when my coil pack went. It started running rough, seemed like it was going to stall, and didn't have much power. It was an instant change, and the engine light came on almost immediately. Luckily I was about a 1/4 mile from home, so I limped it home, put my spare coil pack in the next day, and then ordered a new one. I can't remember the code, but it wasn't super clear that it was a coil, but it did mention a misfire in one of the cylinders. After that experience my spare coil took up permanent residence in my trunk, as well as a small tool kit, so I could change it if I needed to on the road.

Hopefully it's that simple for you. I'm sure we'll know more if you post the code.[/QUOTE]
This has happened to me and it wasnt this. It was just the top of gas peddle wasnt working.

The code was P2138 "Throttle / Pedal Pos Sensor / Switch D / E Voltage Correlation" was what it read.

TDA 08-02-2017 06:00 PM

That sounds to me like it could be the sensor on the peddle itself going out.

FreedomSoftware 08-06-2017 04:12 PM

[QUOTE=TDA;2250314]That sounds to me like it could be the sensor on the peddle itself going out.[/QUOTE]

Thats what a mechanic I work with said. Thought it could be the throttle position sensor or the actual peddle going dead. Weird thing is I took note of the code and cleared it, and hasn't had the issue since. My peddle has always been a little finicky too

fdryer 08-06-2017 04:33 PM

If your throttle (electric) and pedal (electronic) are part of a drive by wire system, you'll need to read about dbw systems and problems associated with them. The third and most important component of dbw is the ECM; pedal signals sent to the ECM, ECM commands the electric servo motor to move throttle. Throttle and pedal have dual position sensors for redundancy and safety to prevent engine runaway. Any error from one of four position sensors can trigger reduced power mode, more commonly known as limp home mode where the engine won't quit but allow just enough power to drive off a highway or street to a safe place for the emergency call.

FreedomSoftware 08-07-2017 04:51 PM

[QUOTE=fdryer;2250720]If your throttle (electric) and pedal (electronic) are part of a drive by wire system, you'll need to read about dbw systems and problems associated with them. The third and most important component of dbw is the ECM; pedal signals sent to the ECM, ECM commands the electric servo motor to move throttle. Throttle and pedal have dual position sensors for redundancy and safety to prevent engine runaway. Any error from one of four position sensors can trigger reduced power mode, more commonly known as limp home mode where the engine won't quit but allow just enough power to drive off a highway or street to a safe place for the emergency call.[/QUOTE]

Well when this happened my car didn't go into limp mode, its like the top half of my peddle just wouldn't do anything. Only the bottom half would and it did have reduced power. But after a reset, it was fine and has been since then.