SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Outlook General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Won't crank after disconnecting battery? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231120)

wolfgang5600 05-13-2017 04:19 PM

Won't crank after disconnecting battery?

I have a '07 Outlook here, and I disconnected the battery. But after reconnecting it, it won't start. The lights illuminate but there is no clicking noise when I try to start it.

I called a GM dealer service who told me to try leaving it on for 15-20 minutes then turning it off and try starting it, but that did not work. I spoke with another service member who told me to try and start it, leave it on on for 10 minutes, turn it off, turn to on again for ten minutes, turn it off and turn it to on again for the last ten minutes, then turn it off and try to start it. My battery died before I could figure out if that could help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be or how to fix it?

fdryer 05-13-2017 05:24 PM

Re: Won't crank after disconnecting battery?

1-Why did you disconnect the battery? Was it for electrical work, dead battery?

2-Is the battery fully charged or not? It may be a dead or discharged battery requiring an overnight charge or replacement.

3-Did you try jump starting with another battery?

While not second guessing on anything, simply disconnecting a battery and reconnecting it shouldn't result in your predicament unless something was left out of your post. Sometimes it doesn't help to think or guess ahead with possible answers other than checking the basics, in this case battery, its state of charge, battery cables being free of corrosion, etc.. Since power is needed to get an engine to start up, power and distributing it starts with the battery. A jump start from another battery can help immediately.

onefunkar 05-13-2017 09:54 PM

sounds almost like it forgot your key. ive never heard of that happening. do you have a different key? if so see if it starts and if it does reprogram other key.

wolfgang5600 05-14-2017 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=fdryer;2241351]1-Why did you disconnect the battery? Was it for electrical work, dead battery?

2-Is the battery fully charged or not? It may be a dead or discharged battery requiring an overnight charge or replacement.

3-Did you try jump starting with another battery?

While not second guessing on anything, simply disconnecting a battery and reconnecting it shouldn't result in your predicament unless something was left out of your post. Sometimes it doesn't help to think or guess ahead with possible answers other than checking the basics, in this case battery, its state of charge, battery cables being free of corrosion, etc.. Since power is needed to get an engine to start up, power and distributing it starts with the battery. A jump start from another battery can help immediately.[/QUOTE]

The battery was disconnected for a timing chain replacement. The battery is charged and we have tried to jump start it, but when we go to start it, it lights up but the engine won't start. Our scan tool won't connect either when we try to scan it.

It seems like it has something to do with anti-theft. Any other ideas?

rb6667 05-14-2017 04:43 PM

Since you have [B]"NO CLICK"[/B] when you turn the key, it's possible the solenoid on the starter has failed. Do you have 12volts on the purple wire at the solenoid when you turn the key?

First step is to make sure you have power going to the solenoid when the key is turned.

Keep us posted.

fdryer 05-14-2017 04:53 PM

Check your owners for info if factory security prevents starter operation. Ions have a starter interrupt if the factory theft deterrent system is activated, preventing the starter from cranking the engine. Outlooks may be like most Saturn models, preventing injector operation when security is flashing its indicator while starting (starter will run). Owners manual; [url]http://www.gm.com/owner-assistance/saturn.html[/url].

There is one definite start method to eliminate factory security but requires crawling under the vehicle for starter access; only performed under specific situations like testing starter operation with or without the ignition system turned on by powering the starter right at the starter terminals. All starters have two terminals, one for battery power and the other for the START signal whether directly from the ignition switch or thru electronics (call it smart start for pushbutton or remote start). To test the starter whether you want ignition ON to allow the engine to run or OFF for testing starter only; simply use a screwdriver to short the battery cable terminal to the smaller terminal. The small terminal is the START/12v signal used to power the starter solenoid that begins starter operation. Be aware of the starter operating while you're under the vehicle and use good judgement about safety (e-brake pulled, in Park). A safer test method would be two long wires, each one clipped to the battery and small terminal with the other ends away from the vehicle and simply touched together - this is same as turning the ignition switch to the START position. As long as the screwdriver is held in place across the two designated terminals or wires are held together, the starter should come to life. If nothing, bang the starter body with a piece of 2 x 4 lumber or large rubber mallet a few times and try the starter again. You may have a worn out starter that may operate again.

If the starter needs 'hammering' to get it to run then the starter is worn out and needs to be replaced. If your Outlook uses the computer to startup, a fuse protecting relay contacts may be blown. A reader may not communicate if 12v fused power is blown. Check for blown fuses as serious repairs like timing belt replacement can sometimes blow a fuse unintentionally.