SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sky General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Clutch suddenly failed! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229387)

Shadow_tek001 12-27-2016 12:08 AM

Clutch suddenly failed!

2008 sky 2.4 manual

I was parked facing forward down a fairly steep hill. Car Sat that way for about a week in rather cold conditions... Now I can't get it into gear, I went to fire it up with the clutch pedal all the way down and it started to move backward up the hill (I leave it in gear when parked). I managed to get it out of gear and fire it up, but the clutch now doesn't do anything...

Help!! :-(

Edward

Shadow_tek001 12-27-2016 12:15 AM

Re: Clutch suddenly failed!

Update!!

So, after running it for a bit it seems to have corrected itself?

Edward

fdryer 12-27-2016 03:38 PM

Gelled xmission fluid in sub freezing temperatures? If a manual is left in gear and temps are below freezing, xmission oil can someone gel to a thickness like molasses. This may make it difficult to shift until the engine runs and warms up, turning the input shaft of the xmission. This turns part of the xmission, warming up gelled oil until it loosens up. A few minutes of engine running helps when the xmission is left in neutral. If it was left in gear, gelled oil acts like semi hard glue, preventing shifts. You may have had to disengage clutch for starting and hold it for a minute or so until able to shift to neutral and release clutch. Churning xmission oil in neutral helps warm it. When shifting into first, slow clutch engagement can help prevent stalling while applying some throttle to get moving. Once moving, xmission oil warms up quickly as all gears are churning oil. You'll know by feel as xmission oil loosens up while driving and shifting.

Shadow_tek001 12-27-2016 03:46 PM

[QUOTE=fdryer;2227184]Gelled xmission fluid in sub freezing temperatures? If a manual is left in gear and temps are below freezing, xmission oil can someone gel to a thickness like molasses. This may make it difficult to shift until the engine runs and warms up, turning the input shaft of the xmission. This turns part of the xmission, warming up gelled oil until it loosens up. A few minutes of engine running helps when the xmission is left in neutral. If it was left in gear, gelled oil acts like semi hard glue, preventing shifts. You may have had to disengage clutch for starting and hold it for a minute or so until able to shift to neutral and release clutch. Churning xmission oil in neutral helps warm it. When shifting into first, slow clutch engagement can help prevent stalling while applying some throttle to get moving. Once moving, xmission oil warms up quickly as all gears are churning oil. You'll know by feel as xmission oil loosens up while driving and shifting.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, thanks!

Edward

emy 03-09-2017 12:19 AM

[QUOTE=Shadow_tek001;2227149]2008 sky 2.4 manual
I was parked facing forward down a fairly steep hill. Car Sat that way for about a week in rather cold conditions... Now I can't get it into gear, I went to fire it up with the clutch pedal all the way down and it started to move backward up the hill (I leave it in gear when parked). I managed to get it out of gear and fire it up, but the clutch now doesn't do anything...
Help!! :-(
Edward[/QUOTE]

High revs and dumping the clutch to provoke wheelspin could cause the damage you describe. As to heat, slipping the clutch is an obvious one. Having reliable clutches would be wise.
this sort of clutch failure is usually caused by misuse. For example, I'm told that slipping the clutch for too long when you are in a slowly moving queue in a multi-story car park is one possibility. However, I can't see that either I or my son have been doing anything like that.

Shadow_tek001 03-09-2017 12:23 AM

[QUOTE=emy;2235270]High revs and dumping the clutch to provoke wheelspin could cause the damage you describe. As to heat, slipping the clutch is an obvious one. Having reliable clutches would be wise.
this sort of clutch failure is usually caused by misuse. For example, I'm told that slipping the clutch for too long when you are in a slowly moving queue in a multi-story car park is one possibility. However, I can't see that either I or my son have been doing anything like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah no... That would be the exact opposite of what I've described. And I know how to drive a standard, I never ride the clutch. Been driving stick for 21 years lol.

The issue was exactly what was mentioned in earlier responses. Just cold, jelled up trans fluid. After warming up the car for a few minutes, the issue was gone.

Edward.