SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Outlook General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Freon leaking due to hole (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223682)

joeyw82 09-19-2016 09:38 PM

Freon leaking due to hole

1 Attachment(s)
Was hoping someone could help me identify which hose/part number is in this picture. [ATTACH]47919[/ATTACH] The picture is upside down for some reason when uploaded but these are located behind the engine next to the firewall/cab. The host with the metal fitting rubbed against the tube behind it and caused a pin hole that I was able to track down using dye. I have a feeling it's the most expensive, around $500, part thst I'm seeing online.

fdryer 09-19-2016 10:37 PM

Re: Freon leaking due to hole

Are you searching online and using the various GM online parts sites showing GM exploded drawings of parts? These are the same drawings dealers use for ordering OEM/stock parts with factory stock numbers. Sometimes their drawings are less than satisfactory in identifying parts (I've been confused at times for my own part searches using GM drawings). What you need to know to narrow the parts down to one exact replacement are a few things in general.

A/c systems are designed and spoken/discussed by separating the low pressure/suction side from the high pressure side. The hot/high pressure side is always associated with smaller diameter hard lines/soft hoses from low pressure/cooled sweating hard lines/soft hoses. One way to determine which hose you're trying to identify may be where the high and low side service valves are located. High pressure service valves are usually located close to the condenser coil and may have a pressure sensor nearby with an electrical connection on the pressure sensor. This line is usually warm to hot with a/c running. This valve will not allow connection to any refill kits sold in stores as the two service valves are deliberately sized differently from each other to prevent unfamiliar persons from connecting a refill can to the high pressure side and creating an accident; explosion if high pressures (150-250+ psi) is connected to any refill can. Follow where this hose goes as it can only be between the compressor output discharge side and condenser coil. Following this line, the other side of the condenser coil feeds cooled liquid refrigerant into the filter/drier/accumulator canister that feeds liquid refrigerant to the inlet side of the firewall HVAC box. And this line is usually the smaller diameter of the two on the firewall connections to the thermal expansion valve. From the firewall hvac a/c connections, the larger diameter hard line and soft hose is the low pressure/suction side because its the end of cooling where gas is sucked back to the compressor. This line will be sweating in humid weather and should have the low pressure service valve, the only valve to allow store refill kits to connect to. Safety also dictated that r134a disposable cans (the 12 oz ones) have a rudimentary pressure relief on the bottom of every can (the semi circle indent in the center) to act as a pressure relief if internal pressures exceed a safety value. Correct connections to any vehicle should never have pressures from refill cans go above 100 psi since normal compressor suction side pressures can go from negative (vacuum) to around 90 psi when a system isn't running. Normal suction side pressures are around 28-35 psi. The suction side hose with its service valve will lead directly back to the compressor. Most low pressure service valves are located near the firewall while the high pressure service valve is closest to the condenser coil.

Examine the hose that's chafed and leaking and you should be able to determine which hose this is, low or high pressure. The low pressure/suction side hose is usually one line from firewall to compressor. The high pressure line may be one or two hoses from the f/d/a canister.