SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Stereo not working (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209519)

hawksking 08-10-2015 09:00 PM

Stereo not working

I made another post about how my car got flooded and was having problems. Everything is fixed but now the stereo stopped working. It was working fine for the last few days after the flood but this morning I noticed it didnt work at all. I press the buttons nothing happens. I plugged in my iPod I used in that car everyday using AUX cable and still nothing. I think i can see faint orange pixelated lines on the left and right side of the screen but I see those even when the car is off, so not sure what is going on.

I've thought of just replacing the whole thing but I think the problem might lie on the other side of the connector which connects to the car since water only got to the floor and not anywhere near the stereo at the top.

Car is a 2007 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe

Googled a picture, stereo looks like this.

ecarshawaii.com/images/hosted/2007-saturn-ion-level2/2007-saturn-ion-level-2-sedan-11.jpg

ruley73 08-10-2015 09:18 PM

Re: Stereo not working

It sounds to me like the radio either isn't getting any power or might need to be replaced. Check all relevant fuses and if they are fine just keep them removed for a few minutes to try to reset the radio. [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-Saturn-Ion-Vue-Radio-CD-Player-Aux-Port-TESTED-9455-/400940782144?hash=item5d59eed240&vxp=mtr"]Here's a link[/URL] to a super cheap replacement that has the 6CD changer. I'd normally recommend the single disc radio, but for $25 that 6CD radio is a steal. It would be a direct plug & play swap too because Ion radios don't need to be programmed.

hawksking 08-10-2015 09:29 PM

[QUOTE=ruley73;2153074]It sounds to me like the radio either isn't getting any power or might need to be replaced. Check all relevant fuses and if they are fine just keep them removed for a few minutes to try to reset the radio. ebay.com/itm/06-07-Saturn-Ion-Vue-Radio-CD-Player-Aux-Port-TESTED-9455-/400940782144?hash=item5d59eed240&vxp=mtr"]Here's a link to a super cheap replacement that has the 6CD changer. I'd normally recommend the single disc radio, but for $25 that 6CD radio is a steal. It would be a direct plug & play swap too because Ion radios don't need to be programmed.[/QUOTE]

I have no clue on how to check the fuses, sorry I am a complete amateur. I would buy another unit but I'm afraid it might be a problem with the wiring connecting to the car somewhere and not the stereo itself and I would end up spending money on something that I didn't need.

ruley73 08-10-2015 10:04 PM

I wouldn't replace the radio until I knew it was bad either. You should learn how to check fuses. It's not hard at all. Google and YouTube are your friend. The Ion has two fuse panels, one under the hood and another on the left side of the console near the driver's footwell. The latter is the one that contains the radio fuses. Pull out the two radio-related fuses and look at the metal part in the plastic housing. If there is a break in it the fuse is bad.

hawksking 08-10-2015 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=ruley73;2153081]I wouldn't replace the radio until I knew it was bad either. You should learn how to check fuses. It's not hard at all. Google and YouTube are your friend. The Ion has two fuse panels, one under the hood and another on the left side of the console near the driver's footwell. The latter is the one that contains the radio fuses. Pull out the two radio-related fuses and look at the metal part in the plastic housing. If there is a break in it the fuse is bad.[/QUOTE]

Looked at some videos and I think I know what to look for now and how to check it.

Is it Fuse #21 for the stereo in that picture?

ruley73 08-11-2015 12:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=hawksking;2153086]Looked at some videos and I think I know what to look for now and how to check it.

Is it Fuse #21 for the stereo in that picture?[/QUOTE]

That fuse is only used for the factory amplifier if your car is equipped with it. The two fuses for the radio are in the I/P fuse block which is on the left side of the console near the driver's footwell (see pictures attached below).

[ATTACH]43631[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]43632[/ATTACH]

hawksking 08-11-2015 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=ruley73;2153162]That fuse is only used for the factory amplifier if your car is equipped with it. The two fuses for the radio are in the I/P fuse block which is on the left side of the console near the driver's footwell (see pictures attached below).

[ATTACH]43631[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]43632[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

I've looked at the few fuses related to radio and entertainment. They all look fine.

hawksking 08-11-2015 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=ruley73;2153162]That fuse is only used for the factory amplifier if your car is equipped with it. The two fuses for the radio are in the I/P fuse block which is on the left side of the console near the driver's footwell (see pictures attached below).

[ATTACH]43631[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]43632[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]

I've also looked at the one beside the Engine and it looks fine too. I seriously dont know what to do!

ruley73 08-11-2015 09:57 PM

The next thing you'll need to do is remove the radio and test for power at the harness with a multimeter.

hawksking 08-13-2015 09:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=ruley73;2153212]The next thing you'll need to do is remove the radio and test for power at the harness with a multimeter.[/QUOTE]

I bought a multimeter and turned the ignition on and hooked the negative probe to the metal frame inside the car that's below where the radio sits. Tried to put the positive probe in with the orange wire (see picture) but nothing happens, I dont think I'm getting a good connection, I've watched a video online but the connector on it was much different making it easier to stick the probe all the way into the wire and test the DCV.

What do I do?

kevin.st56 08-14-2015 04:57 PM

if the video was with another ion, it prolly was an ealier ion.
Earlier ions have different connectors.

heres a pic from my Haynes manual of the schematic
Orange is supposed to be hot all times, and yellow with ignition on

[URL=http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/rtyper56/media/the%20Car/20141017_075826_zpstmikmobs.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b557/rtyper56/the%20Car/20141017_075826_zpstmikmobs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

another thing to try...
pull the fuse for the radio, and put you meter to see if there is voltage going across the fuse.
if not, then theres a break somewhere.

duece9s 08-14-2015 06:57 PM

[QUOTE=hawksking;2153439]I bought a multimeter and turned the ignition on and hooked the negative probe to the metal frame inside the car that's below where the radio sits. Tried to put the positive probe in with the orange wire (see picture) but nothing happens, I dont think I'm getting a good connection, I've watched a video online but the connector on it was much different making it easier to stick the probe all the way into the wire and test the DCV.

What do I do?[/QUOTE]

use a paperclip and probe it from the front, or backprobe with it would prob work too..

ruley73 08-14-2015 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=hawksking;2153439]I bought a multimeter and turned the ignition on and hooked the negative probe to the metal frame inside the car that's below where the radio sits. Tried to put the positive probe in with the orange wire (see picture) but nothing happens, I dont think I'm getting a good connection, I've watched a video online but the connector on it was much different making it easier to stick the probe all the way into the wire and test the DCV.

What do I do?[/QUOTE]

Stick the probe in the front side of the plug where the pins from the radio would go into. Here's [URL="http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=25943&d=1318482920"]a link[/URL] to the diagram you need.

The orange wire in the plug shown in your picture should be hot at all times. The yellow wire in the same plug should be hot with the key on. It wouldn't hurt to do a resistance check on the ground (black wire) in that same plug to confirm it is good.

Another possibility is a bad accessory relay in the I/P fuse block. If you have other things that are not working (specifically power windows, sunroof, rear accessory port, and wipers) this relay needs to be replaced.

hawksking 08-14-2015 10:40 PM

Thank you all for the help. I met a guy who does car audio stuff and he looked at fuses and one related to radio was in fact blown, replacing it didn't help. He checked the connection coming out a few wires of the radio and the wires were supplying power.

He said it must be the radio since the wires have current and you could see the sticker on top of the radio got wet sometime after the flood since the sticker on it was wrinkled up like it got wet.

Just bought a harness and mounting kit for a single DIN stereo and Im going to install it with a new radio that I buy.

Thanks all!