SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   99 SL1 Paint Code (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209073)

Steve44 07-09-2015 07:19 PM

99 SL1 Paint Code

1 Attachment(s)
Although I'm very unhappy about this situation (not really, I'm pissed off!), I feel the best way to deal with it is to solve it quickly.
My wife backed into the garage last night (the first time ever), and said that she broke off the drivers side Mirror. It wouldn't be a big deal, except that she decided to try and "fix" the problem without telling me. She applied a whach of "Krazy Glue" and dripped that Crap all over my Door. I'm beyond trying to remove the glue, and trying to put the mirror back where it belongs.
I'm going to the pick and pull in the morning to get another Door.
Please don't suggest the miracle Goo gone crap, because I'm done with them.
I'm hoping that someone can tell me if the paint code is in the VIN, as many JY vehicles don't have the spare tire cover.
Any help is good help. Thanks!

OldNuc 07-09-2015 07:24 PM

Re: 99 SL1 Paint Code

Not directly in VIN but if you can access a VIN database it will pull up the RPO codes for that specific serial number and the paint number is in the RPO codes.

54packman 07-09-2015 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just may have what you need,I picked up this door and fender for my car and was to my to repaint it but found a red door and fender a week later at the jy

Signmaster 07-10-2015 06:44 AM

[QUOTE=Steve44;2148435]Although I'm very unhappy about this situation (not really, I'm pissed off!), I feel the best way to deal with it is to solve it quickly.
My wife backed into the garage last night (the first time ever), and said that she broke off the drivers side Mirror. It wouldn't be a big deal, except that she decided to try and "fix" the problem without telling me. She applied a whach of "Krazy Glue" and dripped that Crap all over my Door. I'm beyond trying to remove the glue, and trying to put the mirror back where it belongs.
I'm going to the pick and pull in the morning to get another Door.
Please don't suggest the miracle Goo gone crap, because I'm done with them.
I'm hoping that someone can tell me if the paint code is in the VIN, as many JY vehicles don't have the spare tire cover.
Any help is good help. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Info courtesy of LowSaturn....

[URL="http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/production_options.html"]http://www.differentracing.com/tech_articles/production_options.html[/URL]

But really the best thing to do is take in the old panel. There is always some slight variation in the mixes, probably due to supplier tolerances for QC, along with their supplier.

2NDSOUT 07-10-2015 07:02 AM

So, I am guessing by your posts that the Spare Tire Cover is not in this car? That is where the RPO codes would be...

Just as a quick glance- it could be 11U and 11L-

Year
In Out
96 02 11U Primary Color - Exterior, Warm Gray (Silver)
96 02 11L Secondary Color - Exterior, Warm Gray (Silver)

Steve44 07-10-2015 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=54packman;2148447]I just may have what you need,I picked up this door and fender for my car and was to my to repaint it but found a red door and fender a week later at the jy[/QUOTE]
Hey Packman, Can you call me @ 416-320-0272. I'm at Kenny U pull and they went and crushed the 3;silver ones that were here a month ago. I'll be around the corner from your shop at 2:30

54packman 07-10-2015 04:36 PM

Iam in Oshawa now, the door is in colborne right now, but will pick it up on the weekend and will have it Monday, did you get another mirror yet? As I think I may have another as well too.

Steve44 07-10-2015 06:28 PM

Here's the problem: She KRAZY GLUED THE MIRROR BACK ON. I can't take it off or anything else without destroying it. If your door doesn't have the mirror on it, it's of no use to me.:dizzy:
EDIT: The Pic you showed has the Mirror on it. Please Call me tomorrow and we'll talk.
Thanks

Steve

OldNuc 07-10-2015 06:35 PM

Acetone slowly dissolves cured cyanoacrylate adhesive (crazy glue) and you will end up doing some clean up of surrounding areas most likely. Acetone maintained in contact with folded paper towel or swabbed on repeatedly works.

Steve44 07-10-2015 07:25 PM

A bodyman friend I know (not very well) tells me He can buff that glue out with compound. I told him I doubt it, and even if He could, I'm still left with the Mirror problem. If She'd just left it alone, it would have been so easy to fix.:cry:

OldNuc 07-10-2015 07:43 PM

The glue tends to soften with low heat so I suspect it would buff off the surface if you had the touch with one of those buffers. Might be able to remove the broke mirror in pieces. If you use a heat gun on a low setting to fail the glue bond.

54packman 07-10-2015 07:48 PM

That was my car after a Beck taxi took out the side, so I just changed the door skin and mirror, I do have another mirror too, those parts where on my car like that for a couple of weeks till I found the right colour, didn't want to change the door frame, as the vin # is on it, and it messes up the E-test computer when they scan in a different car..

Steve44 07-11-2015 11:27 AM

I guess I'll find out later today. I'll let him rip into it, and I'm going to try and get the mirror off, and see what needs to be done to make it right again.
On a more positive note, seeing as I was already at the Pick 'n' Pull, I got a Cam cover and weatherstripping for the trunk. The cost...$8.48 plus $2. admission. :)

Steve44 07-14-2015 04:54 PM

Well, after about an hour of my buddy going at this stuff with a buffer and some commercial compound, about 2/3 of it came off.
When I get some more time, I'll try some more "goof off" and He says He'll hit it again. At least it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. :)