SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Have You Experienced the Ignition Switch Issue? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199175)

Ignatz 08-06-2014 09:11 AM

Re: Have You Experienced the Ignition Switch Issue?

[QUOTE=Citation84;2083941]Used to do that all the time, this after having three or four new ignitions switches [one of which was reimbursed, the rest under warranty] [/QUOTE]

How did you get reimbursed? My dealer said they wouldn't because the previous repair was done with the correct (at the time) part.

[QUOTE=Citation84;2083941]Wonder how long the power steering recall repair will take... the ignition switch repair took three days.[/QUOTE]

The original repair (before the recall) took 3 days because they discovered the lock housing was also damaged and it had to be ordered. The recall itself was only 1 day.

IONmodman 08-06-2014 02:57 PM

My car has been in for the Ignition Switch recall, took 3 months to get the part and 2 of those months sitting at the dealership until i called every week to see if it came in. Even after the switch recall I am still having the problem of turning my car off and getting the key out, the key just gets stuck right before the setting when it turns off the car entirely so i have to turn it back to the "Electrical only" mode and then try again, sometimes repeatedly.

Not very happy im still having a problem that was going to get fixed AND waiting 3 months for my part to come in.

I did not receive one of those plugs.

ddemier7 08-07-2014 09:42 AM

My 04 saturn ion has a no start issue. It sometimes act like the passlock is engaging. My 04 ion just went in for the ignition issue at the dealership. Will the new ignition eliminate this no start issue with my ion? Does anyone have any idea?

SaturnIONSLVUE 08-07-2014 11:22 AM

For all of that have stuck keys and keys that don't work after the recall, go out and buy new Buick PK3 GM Part: 89024245 keys. Have them cut at the dealer with the key code not a traced key from the recall one.

[url]http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=89024245&_sacat=0[/url]

kevin.st56 08-07-2014 01:08 PM

it seems they are using cheap generic keys for when the ignitions are replaced, and possibly causing them to get stuck. from this, i am keeping one one of my originals. one of my originals happen to struggle turning at times, but it may be that my main one i use is a lil worn down compared to the other.

ddemier7 08-08-2014 02:43 AM

My new ignition key set works pretty good. Im happy. I got the power steering motor assist fixed too. All is great! I just wounder if im going to have no start issues in the future like I have in the past. Should I dissable "passlock" by cutting the "white wire" or just leave it be?

kevin.st56 08-08-2014 01:00 PM

id leave it for now and see

Citation84 08-11-2014 08:21 AM

[QUOTE=Ignatz;2084383]How did you get reimbursed? My dealer said they wouldn't because the previous repair was done with the correct (at the time) part.

The original repair (before the recall) took 3 days because they discovered the lock housing was also damaged and it had to be ordered. The recall itself was only 1 day.[/QUOTE]

The recall notice says they'll reimburse you for any previous repairs. You have to fill out paperwork and turn it in. What they told you was BS. Replacing a defective part with another defective part is not fixing the problem.

Call GM Customer service and tell them your situation, name the dealer.

Remember: you have to have receipts to turn in when you make your claim for reimbursement.

Citation84 08-11-2014 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=IONmodman;2084430]My car has been in for the Ignition Switch recall, took 3 months to get the part and 2 of those months sitting at the dealership until i called every week to see if it came in. Even after the switch recall I am still having the problem of turning my car off and getting the key out, the key just gets stuck right before the setting when it turns off the car entirely so i have to turn it back to the "Electrical only" mode and then try again, sometimes repeatedly.

Not very happy im still having a problem that was going to get fixed AND waiting 3 months for my part to come in.

I did not receive one of those plugs.[/QUOTE]

Same here: Recall done. Key still sticking in ACC mode and I still have to diddle the button under the steering wheel to get the frigging key out. 10 years of this nonsense and they still can't fix it

satfan91 10-25-2014 07:54 AM

Just as a heads up the part number 15842334 is on back order with no availability date from GM as of Monday Oct 20th 2014. I will be continuing to try and obtain these also will post once I find out they are available.

Some dealers may have them just would have to contact them all but my source(GM parts dealer) said the above.

Dutchman1954 11-03-2014 10:52 PM

New switch fixed my Passlock issue, occasionally I have to manually release the key, but as I recall that is largely a transmission interlock switch issue. I am so used to it now it doesn't really bother me.

JeffMGrant 05-02-2015 07:50 PM

So this thread is pretty old but was on the front page so I figured I'd chime in, and because I only just recently (well couple months back) had the recall work done at the Chevy dealership, I figured I'd tell my experience.

I luckily only had a few ignition switch problems and I bought the car new (2003, ION3, 5 speed). First time was the cold/no-start problem many others have written about, but I was in a parking lot so no big deal. Waited in the cold and it started after several tries.

Second time it happened was total cutoff of the engine. I recall pretty vividly since I was exiting an off ramp from the highway and the engine died. Having the 5 speed helped. I quickly hit the clutch peddle and restarted the engine, and luckily it started right up. I was much more concerned after that and did some research on it.

I think at that point was when I read about the wrong grease used in the switch causing problems. Either I was past my warranty at that point or didn't want an OEM switch jic. I ordered a switch online and put it in myself.

I didn't have any other problems after that. I even planned to keep the switch in there even though there was a recall, but figured if I ever sold the car, the new owner would want proof that the recall was performed and not have to hassle with it.

So that's my well over 2 cents on the issue. Very happy with the car otherwise. Well maybe -1 for the front bushings and the ignition switch deal, but really not bad at all for the price.

miata54 05-04-2015 07:34 PM

Not sure if this is related to the switch recall or not, but over the past two years, the switch tumblers began to wear and it became increasingly difficult to get the switch to rotate to complete ignition. The recall solved that problem.

Also had the recall for the electric power steering but don't know what was corrected or replaced. The steering never faulted on me in 10 years of usage.

IoninMe 05-28-2015 07:31 PM

I was not given one of these plastic plugs but last night I received this email:
From: Your GM Team <Your_GM_Team@emails.GeneralMotors.com>
Date: May 26, 2015 at 1:42:37 PM EDT
To:
Subject: URGENT! Important notice about your Ion ignition keys
Reply-To: [email]Your_GM_Team@emails.GeneralMotors.com[/email]

Please read this important notice about your ignition keys.

Notice: Please dispose of your old ignition keys.

Dear Mr R,

As part of the repairs to your 2005 Saturn Ion (VIN# 1G8AG52F75Z104433) for the ignition switch and ignition cylinder safety recalls, your dealer provided you with new keys and key rings. The new keys have a round hole (rather than a slot) and the new key rings are 13mm (1/2 in) diameter. These components are specifically designed to work together for your safety.

You should only use these new keys provided by your dealer and safely dispose of any old slotted keys you still have. Your GM dealer will provide replacement keys for your vehicle free of charge for the life of the vehicle. If you obtain an ignition key elsewhere, always use a key of the exact same design as these keys, including shape, size and keyhole.

Please share this information with any other drivers of the vehicle, and keep this letter in your glove box for current or future drivers to reference.

If you have any questions or concerns about this matter, please visit gmignitionupdate or call us at 1-800-222-1020.

Jeffrey M. Boyer
Vice President, Global Vehicle Safety
GM Recall Safety Team

So I called the dealer to find out what this was about, they transferred me around then sent me to a non set up voice mail which hung up on me. I called GM, finally a supervisor said that the reason is that it's easier to put a lot of weight on the key if it's the slot style.
So my questions are, if the recall including stronger spring fixed the issue why are they now saying this? There was NO discussion of slots or holes in keys during last summer through Sept 2014 when they finally got the parts and completed the recall.
They kept asking me if I had a key with a slot in it. I told them i was working out of town, my daughter was driving the car and I needed to know why the communication about the slot in the key now, 9 months later.
Also if this was an issue at the time of the recall (I believe it was not and they just got on this bandwagon this week) then they should have replaced and destroyed all my slotted keys when they did the ignition recall.
Has anyone else received an email like this one?

jacek_p 05-28-2015 09:17 PM

i received a letter like that. it's my understanding they want to make sure no one has old keys in use as that would be liability for them if someone gets in an accident and blames the old style key.

VentureForth 08-16-2015 07:16 PM

Hiya. Sorry for not reading every word in this thread before posting. Perhaps my question has been answered, perhaps not.

My 06 Ion-3 refused to shut off this morning. No matter what the position of the shifter, I could not return my key to the OFF position and therefore couldn't shut off the car.

Disconnecting the battery doesn't shut off the car. I was worried that I would have to go through a whole tank of gas before it would die.

I removed the steering column shroud and found a green plug that I could easily disconnect and voila! It shut off! Thankfully, I can turn the key to the START position, so now I can actually drive the thing.

Here are my questions.

1) I have not taken my car in for recall yet. Will the recall fix this problem as well as the accidentally-shutting-off scenario that initiated the recall to begin with?

2) I successfully removed the cylinder (with a bit of a challenge getting the detent in the first hole the 2nd time). I removed all the springs, lubed it and set the springs back. SEEMED to work OK - insert key, the part that is supposed to stick out, sticks out. remove key, the part that is supposed to stick out, recesses. Put the cylinder back in the car and same problem.

3) Will just replacing the Cylinder with an OEM AC Delco or Dorman or other third party supplier fix this particular issue? Is the problem actually in the housing?

I didn't take my car to the dealer 'cause they sort of pissed me off the first time I went saying that I would have to go, get evaluated, make an appointment, return in a few months, and then get it installed. That really put me out. Perhaps now that the recall has been in place for a while, they'll have the parts in stock and I can get it done in one trip.

Anyway, any help, advice, experience related to the above would be greatly appreciated. No need to spend $40-100 if the dealer can fix for free - or worse if just replacing the cylinder isn't enough.

Thanks!

2006 ion2 08-17-2015 12:22 AM

The recall should fix your issue.

I bought my car new, and never had a problem, even down to -30, wroth my car starting. Now, with the "new gm" (different BS, same great flavor) switch in the car, last year it failed to start several times in the winter. I would have had to driven 2 hours to get it looked at, and by the time I could make the drive the code was gone. Awesome job "fixing" my not broken car.

VentureForth 08-17-2015 08:15 AM

So the recall fixes the cylinder but destroys cold soak reliability. Nice.

At the dealer now. They think the whole housing may need to be replaced out-of-warranty/recall.

Need to know if they are messing with me. They all tried the plunger technique to remove the key, but that doesn't work. So long as the engine is running, the plunger is actuated. When I shut the car off by pulling the green plug, the plunger releases, but actuating it didn't release the key, presumably because it's still in huge RUN position.

2006 ion2 08-17-2015 09:21 AM

The housing breaks fairly often on these cars. I believe it.

Citation84 08-17-2015 10:05 AM

The recalled one has stuck in the switch in the off position since they swapped it.

"Different BS same great flavor". Amen, 2006ION2.

Same problem, year 10.