SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   i helped to save a saturn today (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199169)

mars2878 03-25-2014 08:07 PM

i helped to save a saturn today

an 01 sc1 auto w/158k mi. was junked @ my work late yesterday. the car failed inspection due to the suspension. her mechanic told her it would be about $1k to repair. the car body was clean w/ only a little scale behind the
3rd dr. driver seat showed some wear on the outer bolster. sunroof only moved up & down about a 1/2in, did not appear to leak. new front struts. ea pit in trunk had a small hole drilled in it, probably took on water @ some point. valve cover leaked. ran quiet, drove good & thermostat @ proper level. so I put the car out front this morning for sale. the car was sold by lunch. the coupe would've went to crush because we replaced all of the s-series in the last few weeks. the cust is picking up the coupe tomorrow. this is getting a second lease on life.

toggenburg 03-25-2014 08:41 PM

Re: i helped to save a saturn today

Good Job!:yes:

ninetynineSC2 03-25-2014 08:44 PM

Don't know why she wouldn't get a good running car fixed. Sounds like it's going to a better home.

dummo 03-25-2014 10:28 PM

^^^^ You sir are a contemporary 'Monuments Man'!

Tyler12189 03-25-2014 11:50 PM

It amazes me how people just give up on maintaining their cars. I see it every day and it makes me sick how people treat their cars like they arnt worth anything. even an older car still can be a great car if you take care of the damn thing. good job for saving the car

ninetynineSC2 03-25-2014 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=dummo;2053947]^^^^ You sir are a contemporary 'Monuments Man'![/QUOTE]

Errr....A what? :whoa:

edit: Not sure if that was directed to me or OP.

sallydriver 03-26-2014 01:21 AM

Three cheers for the OP! Hip hip hooray!

dummo 03-26-2014 07:56 AM

Woops - used the arrows (^^^^) wrongly. T'was really directed at Mars2878

We are all "Monuments Men" in our own way when it comes to saving Saturns.

I didn't see the movie, [I][B]Monuments Men[/B][/I] so I hope I'm getting the premise right.

irish56 03-26-2014 08:22 AM

[QUOTE=mars2878;2053908]the car failed inspection due to the suspension. her mechanic told her it would be about $1k to repair...[/QUOTE]

Was there any real issue with the suspension, or was the mechanic just looking to make a couple of boat payments?

Congrats on saving the car and getting it into the hands of someone who needs it.

spacemanspif 03-26-2014 12:23 PM

How do you fail for suspension? Do they test the shocks to see if they are worn out??? I'm used to the communist state of New Jersey and before they did away with the safely check I don't recall any kind of suspension test. It was just the usual lights, horn and panic stop...

To the owner it was better to put the $1k towards a shiny new car. When people are given a bill like that they start to weigh their options and the "unknown future" usually keeps them from sinking money into the car. Her thought process was "if I spend the $1k now, what will be next to break? And then after that? The car has 160k on it, it's not going to last forever and I should get rid of it before it starts to nickel and dime me. I deserve a newer car anyway; at least it will be fore reliable and won't need so much upkeep"

Seen it once, seen it a million times. I came to the same cross road when I killed my trans doing the 5th gear swap. If I couldn't find a trans cheap I was going to scrap the car because I wouldn't drop over $1k on the car. Yea I knew that it would keep running but at the same time I could use the money to get something a little newer with less miles. But luckily I found a trans for $125, picked up a clutch and paid $300 for my friend to drop it in. Fixed up for around $500 aint bad; but for much more, she was going to the crusher... It's just a fact of life for older cars. They aren't going to run forever and each person has different views on when it's time to move on.

Such a low mile car would have been a shame to lose though, so good job to the OP for fighting the good fight and keeping good cars on the road :usa:

mars2878 03-26-2014 09:12 PM

the failed inspection report was in the glovebox. everything passed except for suspension. the car did have relatively new front struts, studs were still shiney new. the lady picked the car up today & took it around the corner to the inspection station. they did a quick safety inspection on it & told her she needed tie rods. bring it back after replacement. they told her they would charge her next time when they hook it up to the computer. her daughter is real w/ her new to her car. her son is also happy w/ the 91 grand am coupe w/ 128k mi she bought for him.