SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   L-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Saturn l300 strong crank wont start, bad pcm? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179575)

bigtex108 04-19-2012 09:00 PM

Saturn l300 strong crank wont start, bad pcm?

Ok so I have a 2001 saturn l300 v6, It would crank but no fire originally thought it was a throttle body replaced it, new battery, then put in a new steering column then put in a new fuel pump. Code reader wont even connect with PCM just reads Error, I am assuming I have a bad PCM. All the other work had to be done, needed new ignition so figured whole steering column would be easier then JB Welding the little plastic toggle that was broken on the left hand side of the column. Old fuel pump was shot tested with multimeter, new one works can get it to kick on when we bypass fuel relay. Problem we have found is we arent getting fuel to the fuel rail just by cranking it with the key only works when we bypass the fuel relay, switched out the fuel pump relay with new one no dice, reset the passlock no dice, so now I am guessing I need a new computer. Anyone have any other ideas I put all the info in this post I could think of, let me know if yall need anymore. OBD2 reader def works tested it on a couple of other cars. Ive been messing around with this car for over 2 months, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Big Tex

bigtex108 04-19-2012 09:19 PM

Re: Saturn l300 strong crank wont start, bad pcm?

Oh and as far as crankshaft position sensor we removed ours from the vehicle and tested the electrical connections with a multi meter we compared ours to a new one at oreillys and got the same resistance readings. Im more concerned about our obd2 scanner not even recognizing the computer. Checked all the wires back to the harness all good

bigtex108 04-20-2012 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Allright so the pcm lives thank god, had to tighten the four bolts holding it down to establish a good ground then jimmy the cables to get the obd2 sensor to read the codes. Also go through your fuse box and make sure there are no fuses missing we are missing a 30 amp for a blower fan pulled it off another car and the code went away so know the reader is working.

fdryer 04-21-2012 12:24 AM

You're the 2nd person here to find/leave the ecm loosely mounted and finding out that it must be secured to enable correct grounding before the ecm will work.......................

bigtex108 04-21-2012 02:49 PM

Good to know. Anyone have any ideas on the error codes checked the pedal position sensor and all the hook ups and its all connected all good to go. Im wondering why I am getting the low and high voltage from the TP sensors though maybe I need a new pedal position sensor? when I hit the pedal I had a friend watch the throttle plate open up every time I depressed it, so im think the unit itself is good didnt see any breaks in the wire either. And I still cant get the damn thing to turn over yesterday when I got the first set of codes extracted and written down I then cleared the computer and for about 2-3 glorious seconds she fired up then went right back down now shes doing the same old thing strong crank but not firing up. Any Ideas on whats keeping her from firing? Would a bad pedal position sensor keep her from firing?

fdryer 04-22-2012 06:32 AM

1-Does the security indicator flash while starting?

2-If security is flashing, did you try leaving the ignition ON for 10-minutes+ until flashing stops, cycle ignition off and restarting?

3-After reconnecting, securing all electronics and resetting the SES light, what are the specific codes? Not descriptions.

Streeves 05-15-2012 05:45 PM

I had this issue and the Passlock system was causing it. From what I understand it shuts off the injectors to prevent theft. It was about $300 at a garage to get it fixed.