SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Goodbye Saturn, Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010) (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162331)

ouananiche 01-03-2011 08:37 AM

Re: Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)

Thank you to everyone who has participated in these forums. Thanks for all your help.
I owned a 2003 Vue AWD and currently own a 2006 Vue V6 AWD. Interesting story:
A new Nissan dealer, close to where I purchased my Saturn, knowing the reputation of the quality of service and staff at my Saturn dealer offered jobs to the soon to be ex-employees of Saturn. Many of them accepted new positions with the Nissan dealer. They were given "carte blanche" asked to set up and handle the service area exactly the same way they handled it at Saturn.
One step better: Word got out that these fine people were now working for Nissan. Saturn owners are now taking their out of warranty Saturns to the Nissan dealer for service. As well, as their Saturns get older, some of the Saturn owners have now purchased Nissan vehicles, all based on the service they received from Saturn. Your loss, GM!!!!
Thank you Saturn for giving me a great car ownership experience!!

Happy New Year everyone!!

eljefino 01-03-2011 08:44 AM

My membership has gone dormant, not checking up like I used to.

These cars are great though, my SW1 just turned 16 and still has all the stock metal brake lines, unreal for Maine's salty roads.

I've been flipping these s-series for around six years: a 1995 that sold for a thousand bucks in 2005 still demands $1000! How about that, zero depreciation. The SOHCs are a darling on various gas mileage websites. History is already vindicating the S-series as being awesome, can anyone imagine how they'd be remembered if they didn't burn oil? :D

Think of the orphan brands of the 1970s, all the british sports cars etc that still have a cult following. S-series is the next niche. As people discover 2000+ cars get worse MPG (NOx goes down when lean burn goes away) and have more nuiscance CELs for SULEV emission failures, they'll seek out early 1990s cars of all brands... but the saturns will be around as original survivors. Or, they'll be dead but parts will be plentiful and interchange across years. Either way we'll see lots of these things clattering around for years to go!

jswingchun 01-03-2011 08:51 AM

My wife saw a used 96 SL1 parked along a street with a for sale sign back in 98 or so. It was the blackberry color, if I remember correctly. We bought it because she loved that color. At the time I didn't even change the oil in our cars. That started our Saturn relationship.

I needed a car so I wouldn't have to drive my truck all the time when gas got up to nearly $4, so I bought a 92 SL2 with 150k miles for $700. I knew it would need a lot of work, and I didn't know how to do it. I stumbled onto this site in September of 2005.

So with this site and a Haynes manual I have gone from a guy that went to quick lube places to get his oil changed, to a guy that has successfully pulled and rebuilt a motor. That SL2 now has 230k miles.

We since have traded the 96 SL1 for a 99 SC2. That SC2 was handed down to my kid, and we have purchased another 99 SC2 for my wife to drive.

The thing that sucks about all of this is that I doubt anything like this will ever happen again for me. I don't see finding a car that I can buy two or three of and work on myself with the help from a community like this.

There is a really nice dark blue SC2 sitting at a car lot downtown that I have had my eye on...

Thanks a lot to Charlie and to everyone on this site!!

Obie 01-03-2011 09:05 AM

NEARLY Goodby Saturn... maybe in 6 mos...

Well... I have my '99 SL1. I bought it used in 2005 and it's pretty much run trump tight since then. Except for a few things (handbrake button, shift cable), the car's been solid. I really can't complain. I plan on getting another car in about 6 months or sooner, and I have to be honest, it's gonna be hard to see this one go. This was the first car I got when I moved here to VA... kinda represents a lot to me. But hey. Such is life. We must go on.

RIP, Saturn.

jimsdeb72 01-03-2011 09:06 AM

[FONT="Lucida Console"][I][/I][/FONT]
I, unfortunately, came late to the Saturn party. My husband and I purchased a 2007 Outlook after a visit to the Chicago Auto Show in early 2007. At 6 foot 10 inches, we go for him to try on cars every few years. The Outlook was a hit as soon as he got in the driver's seat and our son, all 6 foot seven of him, sat comfortably behind the driver's seat. SOLD!

After some bad experience with ordering our car from one Saturn dealer (an anomolie, I'm sure), we happened upon Saturn of Racine (WI). I have never dealt with any car dealer who made me feel so at home and a part of the family. If I brought my grandson with me, they helped me with the stroller. If I wanted coffee or tea or donuts or Fox News, they were always there for me. They hosted a pizza party for new owners. They were worth every INCH of the 53-mile drive to get there.

We were sick when the contraction of the dealer group forced closure of Racine. We went to another dealer in the group because the service manager had moved there (just a few miles further in Greenfield).

Reader 01-03-2011 09:06 AM

Thank you for all you have done for everyone. It truly is a public service. I wish you many happy and successful years ahead for you and your family.

k1rod 01-03-2011 09:12 AM

[QUOTE=Charlie;1696521]A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=3472]Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride (1985-2010)[/drupal][/QUOTE]

I remember driving my 1993 SL1 from New Hampshire to Orlando in December of 1994. I was in Richmond, VA when my car started becoming difficult to shift. My wife was with me. We stopped and called Saturn on a pay phone explaining that we were on the road and having trouble. They immediately directed us the closest Saturn dealer. As we were pulling up to the dealer, they were rolling up the bay doors and waving us in. (They must have been watching for the New Hampshire plates!) Within an hour, they had replaced the clutch slave cylinder and the spark plug wires (just for good measure) and had us back on the road. That was an amazing level of customer service and I really miss it.

This whole Saturn Saga has been very sad for me. To me it represents more than the failure of a single car company. To me it was almost symbolic of the failure of American manufacturing. I now buy Chevys. They are pretty good cars mostly made in Mexico or Canada or somewhere else... And nobody rolls up the bay doors and waves me in when I pull into the dealer.

jimsdeb72 01-03-2011 09:15 AM

[FONT="Lucida Console"][I][/I][/FONT]
I, unfortunately, came late to the Saturn party. My husband and I purchased a 2007 Outlook after a visit to the Chicago Auto Show in early 2007. At 6 foot 10 inches, we go in order for him to try on cars every few years. The Outlook was a hit as soon as he got in the driver's seat and our son, all 6 foot seven of him, sat comfortably behind the driver's seat. SOLD!

After some bad experience with ordering our car from one Saturn dealer (an anomolie, I'm sure), we happened upon Saturn of Racine (WI). I have never dealt with any car dealer who made me feel so at home and a part of the family. If I brought my grandson with me, they helped me with the stroller. If I wanted coffee or tea or donuts or Fox News, they were always there for me. They hosted a pizza party for new owners. They were worth every INCH of the 53-mile drive to get there.

We were sick when the contraction of the dealer group forced closure of Racine. We went to another dealer in the group because the service manager had moved there (just a few miles further in Greenfield).

Then came the painful, final blow - Saturn would be no more. I have no problem dealing with the Chevrolet member of the group that is close to where Saturn of Racine was, but I frown when I pass the old, empty place I liked so much. The service manager from Racine works at the Chevy dealer and that is the only reason I still drive over 50 miles one way to get my Outlook serviced.

I will care for this car as long as humanly possible, but I will NOT buy another GM car until the federal government gets out of the automobile business. If GM can't run a profitable business and the unions won't let them, then it will be Fords for us in the forseeable future (witness the fact that we have just purchased a 2011 Edge to replace my husband's Dodge Dakota (we won't be buying Chrysler products, either)

Goodbye, Saturn - I appreciate your style, both on the drawing board and in the dealerships.

Debby in Illinois

DawnW 01-03-2011 09:34 AM

Great article.

My husband worked for Saturn back in the early 90s, where we met! ;-)

We have had 3 Saturns through the years. My first purchase, an SC2, was sold when we had our first child, but we still have our SW2 and our VUE. Even our 1997 SW2 still runs great and has never had any trouble.

Dawn

1994 SC2
1997 SW2
2002 VUE

fyrewede 01-03-2011 09:34 AM

:usa: I join the chorus of voices here saying thank you, Charlie, and I am so sad to see Saturn go. I keep praying someone will step up and revive the brand and the factory in Spring Hill.

I bought my one-and-only Saturn -- a Vue Hybrid, custom-built at the factory to my specs -- in 2007, and I have absolutely loved it. She's shiny and red with black tinted windows and runs like a dream. My little Ladybug has carried me and my boys on vacations from VT to GA to visit family and friends every year without a hitch. She drove 17 hours, virtually nonstop, when my sister called to tell me that my mother (who had been struggling with cancer) was probably not going to make it through the night. :-( She's handled Vermont winters *beautifully* despite not having AWD.

We're now approaching 125K miles. I've done my best to maintain her and she has rewarded me with flawless performance. This Saturn is a keeper for sure! Best American car brand EVAR. :us:

bestharry 01-03-2011 09:36 AM

Charlie, Thanks with best Regards to you for the dedication and all the hard work that you put in to keep this valuable resource going.

My history with Saturn doesn't date back to many many years but I can tell that it took me just few minutes to make up my mind to buy a Saturn Vue after I went with my friend to have a look at the one he was buying for himself. I got so impressed by the simplistic, easy to work, rugged and rust proof body (this is important in salt infested roads here in Canada) design and most important by the straigt and impressive body style of Vue that I ended up buying a 2003 Vue from my neighbourhood with BLOWN Vti tranny in summer 2009.

All this was after joining this wonderful club and reading about the replacement of Vti with 5 speed manual. Ended up successfully bringing this baby back on road by spending only 2 weeks (there is a thread on this site where the updates were posted) and had been driving it since then. It prooved to be the most flawless vehicle to me ever since and now it stands at 235K Kms (about 65K Kms in a year and half) and still driving like a charm. I am torchered to replace this Vue with a automatic tranny vehicle now by my wife becuase she started driving and doesn't feel very comfortable handling the gears.
I will always miss this Vue in my life and would still hope to buy another one one day if I get a chance. Its really 'Goodbye Saturn: Thanks for the Ride' for me ;)

All above this, My respect for CHARLIE will stay for ever!
Happy New Year 2011 to all readers and their loved ones.

Harry
:canada:

masaturnfamily 01-03-2011 09:37 AM

Charlie:

Many thanks for your work on this site over the years. While I was not a frequent contributor, this was my go-to source of information during the demise of the Saturn brand.

Like you, I was "in" on Saturn from the very beginning. My wife was working for GM in the 80s and 90s, and a number of our friends made the move to Spring Hill to give birth to the brand.

Three Saturns later, we're still loyal, although that loyalty has been tested over the past couple years. Many of our old Saturn techs and salespeople didn't survive the move to the Chevy dealer (who doesn't even offer car washes anymore!). Some incentive programs have us looking elsewhere for our next vehicle (still down the road aways). However, my 21 year old son wants a VUE to replace the '98 SW2 we sold him (affectionately known as "The Bucket").

A recent event attests to both the staying power of the brand and the lame-brained decision to end it: My wife was driving our newest Saturn, an '09 Aura, a couple weeks ago. She wound up getting in front of a guy who seemed to be driving aggressively, tailgating and seemingly trying to weave around her. When the road opened to two lanes, he roared up beside her as they both came to a stoplight. She was a little worried as he rolled down his window and gestured to her. She cracked hers down just far enough to hear him ask "Where did you get that BEAUTIFUL car?"

Live on Saturn!

Thanks again, Charlie.

Mike

'98 SW2
'03 VUE (120 K)
'09 Aura

Denis Twosaturn 01-03-2011 09:46 AM

Goodgye Charlie.....Thanks for the Ride.

Your efforts have been greatly appreciated.......continued success !!

biz_kid1 01-03-2011 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=s4turngolf3r;1696873]Good article. You know whats funny? My former Saturn dealer recently reopened as a Nissan dealership. How ironic :cry:[/QUOTE]

Not too ironic...I ended up replacing my 2004 Vue with a 2010 Nissan cube! :|

amorgan93 01-03-2011 09:52 AM

my first car :)

phogroian 01-03-2011 09:56 AM

I no longer have my old Saturn SW2, but it was a great car; fuel efficient, reliable, timeless good looks, unpretentious basic transportation. It reminded me of my old 1964 Plymouth Valiant, back in the days when Chrysler engineered great cars. GM had a great thing going with Saturn at the start, and you would think that they would have an interest in keeping it for thinking outside the GM box.

BillinSprings 01-03-2011 09:58 AM

I came late, unforunately, to the Saturn party, and I'm sorry to see the brand go. Bought an '07 Aura XR with 40K mi, and I love it. Another good American brand goes by the wayside.

lloyd95 01-03-2011 10:10 AM

Charlie,

I'm sure this is a bittersweet time for you. Congratulations on the success of Saturn Fans! I'm sure you're aware that as one door closes, another one opens - I'll be excited to hear of your next endeavors!

I've been out of the business for several years now, but fondly remember my times managing the sales team at Saturn of Sterling. It seems like yesterday we were giving you the "I Say" cheer. I met many quality people in my time with Saturn, our corporate reps (Dan and Stacy) were top notch.

Happy New Year Charlie and the rest of the Saturn Fans.

Peace,
Brad

mathew419 01-03-2011 10:14 AM

Just as the Saturn brand has come to its end, I purchased my very first Saturn ever in December (1997 Saturn SW2 with 92000 miles). I love this car a hope to keep it running well for a long time. This forum has helped me a great deal already getting everything running smoothly. Great article. Thanks.

biz_kid1 01-03-2011 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=homerec130;1696804]Charlie,

Just another satisfied Saturn owner who wants to say thank you. Thank you for allowing us to have a place to ask questions, show our knowledge (and lack thereof) as well as vent and rejoice. We bought our first Saturn in 1996 as we were fed up with the other US auto manufacturers. We found our local Saturn dealership to be a fun place to go, where we were always welcome and greeted as friends. Right from day one. That one 1996 SC2 GL ended up being the first of many Saturns.

Once again, many thanks Charlie, and if you need help keeping this valuable resource up and running, let us know. Besides, I think it will still be fin to say "We told you so" when they try to reinvent the wheel again.

Oh, here is my complete Saturn History

1996 SC2, Silver, 5 Speed
1999 SC2, Dark Purple, Auto (Lease)
2001 L200, Silver, (Lease)
2003 Vue 2.4L, 5 speed
2004 Vue 2.4L, Auto (VTI)
2006 Vue 3.5L, Auto (Replaced the 03 - Got tired of driving a stick)
2008 Vue 3.6 XR Auto (Replaced to 04 before the VTI died)

(Pardon me if I got some of the particulars a little off, but that's what happens when get older.)[/QUOTE]

Well said, Paul! And thanks, Charlie! I thought I was going to live and die with Saturn vehicles. I purchased my first Saturn, a 2004 Ion, in January 2004 (on my birthday), after not being able to find a car locally I wanted and having experienced a Saturn first-hand (my mom had purchased a 1994 Saturn and she had it until it was totaled @ 200K!). A year later, we were expecting baby #3 and I traded in my 2004 Ion for a blue 2005 Vue. Six months later, it was totaled in a (add the http and www part to nissancubelife.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=86;u=2076) collision on the freeway (only seatbelt and air bag injuries in my vehicle) which prompted me to go get another Vue...this time, a slightly used silver 2004 Vue. Sadly, it died September 10th, 2010, in a (add the http and www part to nissancubelife.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=86;u=2076) rollover (I was side-swiped at an intersection and landed upside down; again, though, only seat belt injuries AND of course, I had just paid it off a month before!!!). I tried to find another used Vue but there were none in the area that were in a decent enough shape mechanically for me. So I now have a (add the http and www part to nissancubelife.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;cat=85;u=2076[) 2010 Nissan cube. However, my husband still has his steel gray 2005 Ion! So, we're still in the "family"!