SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aura General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   2011 Aura (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154409)

Emanuel 05-18-2010 06:08 PM

2011 Aura

I went with my friend to test drive a 2011 Buick Regal. This is the car that would have been the 2011 Aura. It is a beauty. I rode in it, I chose not to drive it since I was afraid it might be an expensive test drive.

While I think my 2009 Aura XR 4 is a great car, the Regal is a significant upgrade. For example, its stock tires are 18" Michelin Pilots vs the Aura's 17" Firestones. The underbody is coated with a heavy plastic undercoating - this seems to be standard on German cars.

My Aura is solid and quiet. The regal seems to be more so.

The Regal is 150 lbs heavier and its 4 cyl engine is tuned for higher power than the Aura, but fuel economy is down 10%.

Country of origin information on the sticker:
Final assembly: Germany
Engine: United States
Transmission: China

The manufacturer's plate on the door sill reads "Oscar Opel - Russelheim Germany"

Initial cars will be built in germany. Next year North American production will start in Ontario.

The dealer seems to think he will sell the cars at list.

I've started using my GM credit card again

oachalon 05-18-2010 07:32 PM

Re: 2011 Aura

Emanuel, i agree it looks like a beautiful car. I am interested in the car, but not until its made in canada and not until the GS comes out. Im not trading my 3.6L in for the 2.4L or the regular 2.0T. Now the 2.0T making 260hp and 295ft-lbs of torque i might do it.

But it has to come in awd. If it does im in like swimwear.

unkle bik 05-19-2010 07:06 AM

chinneese tranny?:no:

golftango 05-19-2010 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=unkle bik;1622681]chinneese tranny?:no:[/QUOTE]

For the Aura, the 6 speed auto that is matted to the 2.4 was manufactured in China too.

unkle bik 05-19-2010 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=golftango;1622749]For the Aura, the 6 speed auto that is matted to the 2.4 was manufactured in China too.[/QUOTE]
Same tranny for the 3.6L?

golftango 05-19-2010 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=unkle bik;1622808]Same tranny for the 3.6L?[/QUOTE]

No, the 6T70 is different and manufactured in the Sates.

The 6T40, which is matted to the 2.4, is built in China or South Korea. Some are made here too.

Threxx 05-19-2010 03:15 PM

6T40 and 6T70 have nearly identical designs... the 6T70 just uses beefier components for a greater torque capacity.

The two transmissions are based directly on the work that Ford and GM did together to co-develop a FWD 6-speed AT. I wouldn't be surprised if you took apart either of those two and found they looked similar to the current Ford FWD 6-speed autos.

Also as far as I know all 6T40s are made in South Korea. Haven't heard of any being made in China or the US but I guess it's possible. Just look at your windows sticker if you want to know for sure. They list the transmission's country of origin specifically.

I expect the 6T40 to be a reliable transmission... it's a very new design that had a ton of R&D money dumped into it between both Ford and GM. The South Korea thing is a little concerning but Hyundai has been putting out high quality cars for some time now, so the products they build for GM could be equally high quality. They definitely put stuff together WAY better than the Chinese.

Aside from all that the 6T40 has the benefit of being a fairly inexpensive transmission. IIRC you can buy a brand new one (not a reman or junk yard trans) for under 2 grand. For an automatic trans that's pretty cheap.

VWCarcrazy 05-21-2010 11:34 AM

The Regal must be quite a bit heavier than the Aura, as the mpg suffers greatly - getting 2 to 4 mpg LESS in both the 4 and 6 cylinder models. Actually, the Regal with the 2.4L is rated the same as the 2010 Lacrosse. And believe it or not, the 2.4L is not that bad in the Lacrosse (30 mpg hwy) and handles the car unbelievably well. Personnally, I would seriously consider a low-opt'd Lacrosse for about the same $ as a mid-opt'd Regal (and I prefer the cloth in the Lacrosse CX anyway, the Regal can only be ordered with Leather Appointed Seating which is mostly vinyl anyway). I prefer the Lacrosse styling without that ugly "swoosh" on the side of the Regal.

beach109 05-22-2010 08:57 PM

[QUOTE=VWCarcrazy;1623333]The Regal must be quite a bit heavier than the Aura, as the mpg suffers greatly - getting 2 to 4 mpg LESS in both the 4 and 6 cylinder models. Actually, the Regal with the 2.4L is rated the same as the 2010 Lacrosse. And believe it or not, the 2.4L is not that bad in the Lacrosse (30 mpg hwy) and handles the car unbelievably well. Personnally, I would seriously consider a low-opt'd Lacrosse for about the same $ as a mid-opt'd Regal (and I prefer the cloth in the Lacrosse CX anyway, the Regal can only be ordered with Leather Appointed Seating which is mostly vinyl anyway). I prefer the Lacrosse styling without that ugly "swoosh" on the side of the Regal.[/QUOTE]

It's not all the weight. It's the tuning. In both the Regal and Lacrosse, the intent was for better power and performance all around, vs. trying to eek out the highest mpg numbers. Hence, no 33mpg by making it shift to 6th gear rapidly or be slow to downshift. They're still not road burners, but Buick wanted them to be different and actually be 4-cyl's with respectable performance--especially since they'll be in place of what would have otherwise been V6's.

A lot can be done with engine & transmission programming. A lot. The lower mpg numbers are coming into question, but they're different cars, so real word will be a little different as well.

Gertlex 06-07-2010 09:09 PM

If it's quieter, I bet they did the doubly laminated front windshield or whatever again (they took that off halfway through the 08 Aura manufacturing year, I think?)

metgol 06-08-2010 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=VWCarcrazy;1623333]The Regal must be quite a bit heavier than the Aura, as the mpg suffers greatly - getting 2 to 4 mpg LESS in both the 4 and 6 cylinder models. Actually, the Regal with the 2.4L is rated the same as the 2010 Lacrosse. And believe it or not, the 2.4L is not that bad in the Lacrosse (30 mpg hwy) and handles the car unbelievably well. Personnally, I would seriously consider a low-opt'd Lacrosse for about the same $ as a mid-opt'd Regal (and I prefer the cloth in the Lacrosse CX anyway, the Regal can only be ordered with Leather Appointed Seating which is mostly vinyl anyway). I prefer the Lacrosse styling without that ugly "swoosh" on the side of the Regal.[/QUOTE]

I thought the lacrosse was nice in pictures. But seeing them on the road they are to fat and chunky for a car. I like the Regal so much more from the pictures. Can't wait to see it on the road.

Dr. Chris 06-12-2010 09:33 PM

Saw and sat in a new Regal at my dealer. Very nice vehicle. GM did a nice job here. The center stack is very attractive. The GS version comes out early fall according to Motor Trend.

CT

GR898SL2 06-17-2010 06:50 PM

It must be the Quiet Tuning.:D In fairness, these Buicks have different purposes and seek different types of buyers. The Regal is a mainstream sporty sedan while the LaCrosse focuses on luxury/comfort in D/E-segment packaging.

:flag:

VWCarcrazy 06-18-2010 01:07 PM

Sorry, I still dislike the (overly obvious Toyota-Lexus inspired) reverse "swoosh" on the sides. Ruins the Regal's sidelines, in my opinion. Maybe Buick is getting a kickback from Nike...

TechnoAura 08-07-2010 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=VWCarcrazy;1631053]Sorry, I still dislike the (overly obvious Toyota-Lexus inspired) reverse "swoosh" on the sides. Ruins the Regal's sidelines, in my opinion. Maybe Buick is getting a kickback from Nike...[/QUOTE]

I recently test drove a 2011 Regal CXL R2 and loved it. For the money (the Regal's price point), I don't think there is anything on the road that beats this car. I love the interior, as well as exterior styling of this vehicle. I also love the way it handles. The Regal is certainly more refined than the Aura. Obviously it should be a bit more refined given its current base price of $26,995, including destination.

If one really likes the European styling of the Aura and wants to move slightly upmarket in their next choice of vehicle, the Regal is a worthy successor of the Aura. It's certainly at the top of my list as a replacement for my Aura.

I can see how someone who is used to driving a V-6 may not be impressed with the acceleration of the 2.4. It's not as quick as the 3.5 in the Aura XE and certainly is not as quick as the Aura with the 3.6. Regardless, the difference in acceleration would not be enough to turn me away from this car. I liked it that much. For those who want a little more power, there is the 2.0 with 220 bhp on the horizon, as well as the GS model with at least 250 bhp.

Knowing that the Regal was originally slated to be the next generation Saturn Aura and after driving the Regal, I can't help but wonder what the Saturn version would have looked like.

DougsAura 08-08-2010 02:39 AM

Not Impressed!

Phaeton Driver 08-08-2010 11:45 AM

[QUOTE=oachalon;1622570]Emanuel, i agree it looks like a beautiful car. I am interested in the car, but not until its made in canada and not until the GS comes out. Im not trading my 3.6L in for the 2.4L or the regular 2.0T. Now the 2.0T making 260hp and 295ft-lbs of torque i might do it.

But it has to come in awd. If it does im in like swimwear.[/QUOTE]

I personally would hold of on buying any 2,0Turbo producing 260 H-P until I have read about 100,000 of them in a 4000 pound car lasting 100,000 miles.

My experience with turbocharged HO engines in heavy sedans/coupes is that they don't last. Your gas mileage is horrible because you are always running the engine up to 5-6000 rpm in the lower gears to get the weight moving.
They really shine in the mountains and high altitudes and I love them when it is time time to pass that 18 wheeler at 9000 feet.

Now add that turbocharger to my 3.6 DOHC V-6 and see the Phaeton Driver smile :yes:

OZARKJAY 08-08-2010 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=DougsAura;1647215]Not Impressed![/QUOTE]

Only one mans opinion....mine!
I stopped by my local Buick dealer a few weeks ago for a fast checkout of the new Regal. I did a quick walk around and sat in the drivers seat.
What I did notice is that it's tougher to get in and out than my 08 Aura.
At 6' & 215 lbs it was a bend and stoop entry and exit or bang head on roof
above door, once in it was fine.
Today I went back to the closed dealership so as to get a much better overall look at two on the lot. I parked my 08 Aura XE 3.5 with mild custom touches that I added next to one for a comparison.
#1... I thought the car looks stubby with the 18" wheels
#2... The Aura looked longer side by side
#3...The Aura looks like it has a longer wheelbase
#4... The base sticker price with a 182 hp 2.4 4cyl engine versus my 224 hp
3.5 is $26,995. with special options the price came to a hair under $32,000. It Probably drives a little better in some respects
"but has less power" altough it has a nicer dash and interior, my brand new bronzed pewter 08 Aura XE with a couple of extra cost options cost me $18,000 on the head in Feb of 08 ! I think the Aura took a slight edge for my money.
And now you've heard the rest of the story.

OZARKJAY 08-09-2010 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=DougsAura;1647215]Not Impressed![/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention another big negative I noticed while checking out the new Regal and it has not been noticed/ mentioned by others ?
I had to get down on one knee and look under the back of the car to see the dual exhaust pipes that are hidden out of site in front and above the rear bumper with turned down tips . This may be another cost cutter for GM,
my guess is other GM models may follow suit, it's hard to beat a nice set of dual pipes sticking out the rear like you XR owners display.

TechnoAura 08-09-2010 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=OZARKJAY;1647507]I forgot to mention another big negative I noticed while checking out the new Regal and it has not been noticed/ mentioned by others ?
I had to get down on one knee and look under the back of the car to see the dual exhaust pipes that are hidden out of site in front and above the rear bumper with turned down tips . This may be another cost cutter for GM,
my guess is other GM models may follow suit, it's hard to beat a nice set of dual pipes sticking out the rear like you XR owners display.[/QUOTE]

It was most likely not mentioned by others due to this not being important to some. I in fact did notice the dual exhaust pipes under the Regal prior to even test driving the car. Would it be nice to have two chrome visible tailpipes? To some, certainly. It is all a matter of taste. I usually like the dual chrome tailpipe look, but on this car, it does not matter to me.

Overall, I think the Regal feels more upscale than the Aura. Definitely more refined. I like my Aura overall, but have grown quite tired of the rattles I've experienced over the past three years. Although GM has done a nice job of insulating this car and it still feels relatively tight, the rattles are quite annoying. Especially when noticed by others riding in my car with me. This car has more apparent rattles than my SL2 did when it was six years old.

Hopefully as the Regal ages, it does not develop similar rattles as the Aura. This is one of my concerns if I again decide to purchase a GM vehicle. The aforementioned, along with horrible brakes. I know some will agree, while others will [I]flame[/I] me for making this statement; but I have had far more trouble with the brakes on the Aura than on any car I've ever owned. Specifically, constant brake pulsation when brakes are applied. I have read about similar issues with other GM models, as well as other manufacturers.

A few have mentioned the Regal being a bit pricey for what you get. After looking at the Malibu 2LT with a four cylinder, as well as the LTZ with the four cylinder (I've considered both trim levels as a replacement to the Aura), the Malibu is just about as expensive as the Regal. Even without jumping to the 3.6 liter engine, the Malibu can run in the neighborhood of $30,000. To me, that is a bit much for a Chevrolet Malibu. Just my opinion. :)