SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Outlook General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   How To: Changing the Oil in a Saturn Outlook (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146886)

james 11-12-2009 11:04 PM

How To: Changing the Oil in a Saturn Outlook

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=3440]How To: Changing the Oil in a Saturn Outlook[/drupal]

[quote]Here is a step-by-step how-to guide that I put together after changing the oil in my 2009 Saturn Outlook with GM's 3.6L Direct Injection (DI) V6. The procedure should also work for anyone with who owns a GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, and Chevrolet Traverse. This process worked for me, but I cannot accept any responsibility for the procedure or provide any guarantees.[/quote]

Doug C 11-13-2009 01:09 AM

Re: How To: Changing the Oil in a Saturn Outlook

Thanks !

nite, doug c

emg77 11-13-2009 06:10 AM

Nice write-up.

One comment I will make is that this is the worst and most messy oil change I have ever done. GM did not design the placement of this oil filter very well at all. It is in-accessible from the bottom end of the engine and it is not easy to get to from the top. Oil goes everywhere. It might be slightly different on the Outlook, (since I have a Traverse), but my Traverse made me want to take it in someplace to get the oil changed, and I haven't done that in over 10 years. My Astra on the other hand is the easiest and cleanest change ever. It has a top loading cartridge filter and the oil can be drained without even lifting the car.

My write-up on changing the Astra oil is here:
[url]http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137477[/url]

onefunkar 11-13-2009 02:57 PM

i put a rag under the oil filter before io take it off and that seems to get most of the oil drip. the first time i changed it i didnt do that and there was oil everywhere and it burned off for a while. aksi i dont see why you have to take off the engine cover. i havnt done that

onefunkar 11-14-2009 12:02 AM

also one other important thing. reset olm

Wingmn 11-14-2009 12:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I just accomplished my first oil change on my 09 Outlook - I've been reading up on issues and paid particular attention to the oil filter change with the oil leaking down onto the motor mount. I was concerned about this and thought I'd try a little improvising to prevent the oil spill, and wanted to share my success.

I used a cut out empty 1 qt oil bottle, a small funnel, and a tube attached to the funnel.

Placed the cut out bottle directly underneath the oil filter deflection plate - bottle top facing forward, and placed the funnel directly under the bottle opening. I placed a 12 inch hose on the end of the funnel to make sure the oil made it down to the drip pan (found out while looking at the pictures that it wasn't really necessary unless the wind is a concern).

I had NO oil escape my improvised oil "channel"

Here are a few pictures.

djhhjd 11-14-2009 11:20 AM

Nice job!:yes: Is that orange ring in your pic the gasket for the old filter? That happened to me when I did the first oil change on my 09' OUTLOOK. When I took a rag to wipe off the engine surface where the filter goes it did'nt feel quite right and then I looked @ the old filter and BINGO the gasket was'nt on it. I think at the factory they install the filters super tight and dry:hmpf:.

emg77 11-14-2009 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=Wingmn;1542255]I just accomplished my first oil change on my 09 Outlook - I've been reading up on issues and paid particular attention to the oil filter change with the oil leaking down onto the motor mount. I was concerned about this and thought I'd try a little improvising to prevent the oil spill, and wanted to share my success.

I used a cut out empty 1 qt oil bottle, a small funnel, and a tube attached to the funnel.

Placed the cut out bottle directly underneath the oil filter deflection plate - bottle top facing forward, and placed the funnel directly under the bottle opening. I placed a 12 inch hose on the end of the funnel to make sure the oil made it down to the drip pan (found out while looking at the pictures that it wasn't really necessary unless the wind is a concern).

I had NO oil escape my improvised oil "channel"

Here are a few pictures.[/QUOTE]

I'll give that a shot. Nicely done. My usual trick of putting a disposable plastic cup over the filter doesn't work because of the angle of the filter.

Wingmn 11-14-2009 03:07 PM

yeah it was part of the old gasket - I removed it :) thanks to those pictures I wouldn't have noticed it. :)

BobbyP 11-14-2009 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=Wingmn;1542399]yeah it was part of the old gasket - I removed it :) thanks to those pictures I wouldn't have noticed it. :)[/QUOTE]

When a hurricane is approaching the quick oil change vendors are swamped with customers requiring their oil changed before evacuating.

One of them changed a friends oil and left the gasket on the engine. They made it about 30 miles away, and had to abandon their car in the path of the storm.

I can't stress enough to any car owner to stay away from these "Shake and Bake" oil change facilities.

Accordionjohn 11-19-2009 10:33 PM

Super writeup. I was getting ready to change oil this Saturday on our new '09 Outlook and did a google search and low and behold - perfect procedure for doing so posted on this website. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this, James.

SaturnTech122 12-08-2009 01:57 AM

Just how we do it in the dealer

Doug C 12-13-2010 06:26 PM

"I can't stress enough to any car owner to stay away from these "Shake and Bake", oil change facilities. "

SHUCKS even the GM dealerships ya got to watch out for after my experience Saturday at our 'area' one !

Paid the bill walking over to the vehicle and noticed extra chrge for another 1/2 litre ($1.87) I thought that is odd but possibly a new cash grab due to the economy !!? Anyways I turned around to confirm why . . . . my origninal CSR was unavailable but another stated (w/o knowing my vehicle) it obviously needs more than 6 lts which the base oilservice chrge covers Hmmmm, that means 6.5 litres into my engine which doesn't sound right I'm pretty sure not more than 5.5 is spec. out to my vehicle pull the manual find the specs pg. " 5.2lt. " Into service desk request a $1.87 refund and extraction of appropriate amount of oil. This original CSR (who should have known better) proceeds to belittle me and announces over PS sytem that car owner wants $1.87 of oil sucked out of engine all the while lookin' at me with daggers and she says I've never had a customer come bk in with a vehicle manual (thank goodness i did or she would have been stuck on her statements of defence, "it probably needed more" "they put in what is reqd" NOT listening to me say BUT spec. is 5.2lts not 6.5 !! . . . . . . I've noticed in past shop visits this is one who has issues and if they don't loose one customer per month due to her attitude I wouldn't be surprised !!

Anywho . . got to chat with (that same ass't re: tires/rims findings) service manager who quickly chkd things out. He came back with a combo of reasons; new computerized dispensing machine seemingly not calibrated properly ( i presumed they punch in the vehicle name for oil dispensing) and the tech had just done a larger engine which required close to 7lt . . . . {duuuuuh wakee wakee !!} ?

45 min later $2 refund and ass' service mgr saying he'll be having a chat with the CSR about her attitude towards customer.

A negative experience ya would think to only have at a " Shake and Bake, oil change facility"

Thank goodness I review my invoice for oddities in service done and price quoted otherwise this could have meant a blown seal (?) on the next road trip !! :x

doug c
:merry: :canada:

p.s. if a 'third strike' may actually have to chk out another GM dealership 15min. further away !

onefunkar 12-13-2010 08:25 PM

people with 3.5 v6 aura take 4 qts and more times than not get 5.5 qts. have a relative that has happen three oil changes in a row. different places.