SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   GM Adds Third Shift at Three Plants (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144679)

Charlie 09-23-2009 10:22 PM

GM Adds Third Shift at Three Plants

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=3345]GM Adds Third Shift at Three Plants[/drupal]

[quote]General Motors will add a third shift at its Fairfax, Kansas; Ft. Wayne, Indiana; and Lansing Delta Township, Michigan plants - restoring 2,400 jobs and enabling GM to increase its manufacturing plant utilization in the U.S.[/quote]

BobbyP 09-23-2009 10:29 PM

Re: GM Adds Third Shift at Three Plants

That's good news... I hope they can sustain the volume...

Jaseball 09-23-2009 10:59 PM

When the Penske deal is done and Saturn is truly no longer connected to GM will GM news be covered here still?

GM tossed Saturn, Pontiac, Saab, and Hummer out like garbage and that includes all those owner who invested in those brands.

Either way you cut it, GM is pretty much saying people who bought those brands are idiots and they are not worth keeping, but hey, why not buy a Chevy, Cadillac, GMC, or other 'worthwhile,' GM brand?

Honestly, I hope GM fails and Ford wins out in the end.

K-1 09-24-2009 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=Jaseball;1518180]When the Penske deal is done and Saturn is truly no longer connected to GM will GM news be covered here still?[/QUOTE]I should hope not. The GM news should then be moved to the Off Topic section.

[QUOTE=Jaseball;1518180]GM tossed Saturn, Pontiac, Saab, and Hummer out like garbage and that includes all those owner who invested in those brands.[/QUOTE]Unless they owned stock in GM, people who purchased the defunct brands "invested" nothing. They purchased a product, like a TV or microwave. If GE stopped making your style of washing machine, would you get this upset?

[QUOTE=Jaseball;1518180]Either way you cut it, GM is pretty much saying people who bought those brands are idiots and they are not worth keeping, but hey, why not buy a Chevy, Cadillac, GMC, or other 'worthwhile,' GM brand?[/QUOTE]No, they're saying those brands aren't pivotal and profitable. GM is a business. If something isn't generating a positive ROI, it gets canned. It's really about time they gathered the balls to make this decision.

[QUOTE=Jaseball;1518180]Honestly, I hope GM fails and Ford wins out in the end.[/QUOTE]Well, don't hold your breath. Both are now well-positioned for earnings growth.

Jaseball 09-24-2009 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=s-seriesguy;1518715]Nope, I'm not one of those here that whine and ***** about GM becuase they got rid of the Saturn brand. I can see their reasonings for doing so, and if you are so blind that you can't it really shows how much of a Kool Aid drinker you are[/QUOTE]

Give me a break. Saturn now has more of a chance under Penske than it did under GM. This isn't saying much, since Saturn had about 0% chance of being a success under GM, but even 10% under Penske is better than 0.

I bought Saturn vehicles. I bought GM stock. I believed in the brand and company and I was wrong. It doesn't mean I have to drink the Kool aid and continue to buy GM vehicles, prop up the company, and buy their 'new,' stock. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

I have no respect for a company that is bailed out to the tune of billions of tax payer dollars saying they are 'too big to fail,' and 'bankruptcy would be cataclysmic,' for the US economy, then they go and declare bankruptcy a few months later.

Then they have the nerve to come on TV in a marketing campaign saying they are putting their money up to show us how great GM cars are. Excuse me? Who's money? It isn't their money, it's tax payer money.

Now I don't know if you work at GM in a GM brand that remains or what your deal is, but you're the one bashing one time GM supporters who have had it and decided GM isn't worth supporting.

In spite of all the BS GM did in the past, the billions tax payers will not see again, the laughable claims of GM being better than the competition, you sit there and ignore all of this crap.

Nobody in their right mind would be positive about GM right now, unless their livelihood and future is somehow connected to that crap company.

Go to MSN and check out the GM articles. The articles are positive, but the 700+ comments from random people are 90%+ negative.

[url]http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/the-bold-new-face-of-gm.aspx?GT1=33002[/url]

davidsky 09-25-2009 06:45 AM

[QUOTE=K-1;1518257]
Well, don't hold your breath. Both are now well-positioned for earnings growth.[/QUOTE]
We hope

davidsky 09-25-2009 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=Jaseball;1518748]
Go to MSN and check out the GM articles. The articles are positive, but the 700+ comments from random people are 90%+ negative. [/QUOTE]

Most people who comment on blogs are negative whining complainers so take the 90% number lightly. People will buy GM cars if the quality is good and the deals are good. We'll forget all about "government bailouts" if they produce great cars.

Citation84 09-25-2009 08:45 AM

Sorry, Davidsky: I won't.

Jaseball is correct. Not going to pay twice and get a rebate of my own [and my neighbor's hard earned tax]money for the privilege of buying another GM car whose bushings give out at 26,000 miles, whose ignition switch had to be replaced 5 times, whose window and headlight leaks came baked right in from the factory. I didn't mentyion the creaking steering at low speed did I? And while I still love the car, I won't be buying again from GM.

[B][I]Sseriesguy[/I][/B] you are pretty free with the name calling and accusations. I would suggest you put down the GM pom poms and stop taking their press releases as hard news.

You bring the level of discussion down to grade school playground level.

There's a reason GM went bankrupt and it's not because of so called "kool-aid" drinkers. That by definition would be the people who keep buying junk from GM and keep getting burned. GM didn't make a "few" bad cars or use a "few" junk parts. They did it over decades.

Here's a resume of the GM cars in my family:
84 Citation: trans at 80,000 miles
84 Olds Ciera: 3 head gaskets, numerous sensors
86 Olds Calais: 3 alternators, AC system, electrical failures, torque converter switch brakes every 20,000 miles and all before 50,000 miles.
99 Cavalier: 1 recall for radiator shielding, intermediate steering shaft failure, brakes every 20,000 miles. Best GM of the lot
87 Coupe De Ville: oil leaks that wouldn't quit. 15 trips to the dealer to fix.
05 ION: strut bushings, leaky headlights and rear window,5 ignition switches, creaking steering. 40,000 miles
95 Saturn: 2 cracked heads before 36,000 miles, oil guzzler.

And if you say I only had "bottom of the barrel cars", who made them that way but GM ?

Now, given my history with the "Mark Of Excellence", I think that if I was stupid enough to buy from GM again I would truly be a "Kool Aid Drinker".

sseriesguy:Maybe you should learn some history first before you start attacking other people for their decisions. Otherwise, STFU.

Citation84 09-25-2009 09:40 AM

PS: Calais also needed 2 water pumps and a heater core. All before 50,000 miles. Popped a head gasket at 100,000 miles.

Decades of GM letting the customer "work the bugs out" instead of having the cars be right from the beginning helped them build the "perception gap" they enjoy today. GM and the UAW did that.

Building "great cars" ? They've been promising that since 1980. Then 1990. Then 2000. New GM says the same thing now: Just wait until 2010.

And always: we've got great stuff up our sleeve, then presto change-o:Same old cost cut to the bone, not ready for consumption, $3000 on the hood,here a glitch, there a glitch, everywhere a glitch glitch. And the great new product is left to rot till the next "great car"/new nameplate to make you forget the bad old nameplate.Lather rinse repeat. It's a load of BS.

davidsky 09-26-2009 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=Citation84;1518828]Sorry, Davidsky: I won't.

86 Olds Calais: 3 alternators, AC system, electrical failures, torque converter switch brakes every 20,000 miles and all before 50,000 miles.
99 Cavalier: 1 recall for radiator shielding, intermediate steering shaft failure, brakes every 20,000 miles. Best GM of the lot
05 ION: strut bushings, leaky headlights and rear window,5 ignition switches, creaking steering. 40,000 miles
[/QUOTE]

Other than a bad 1981 Citation, my families GM cars have been pretty decent. For me only a bushing and AC problem. I never expect my cars to be "perfect" so I have no complaints. If I don't buy a GM car it won't be because of the usual reasons that people complain about. It will be because I liked another car better.
I support the "bailout"
I will only buy American/Union made cars.

saturn 51 09-26-2009 09:24 PM

Hey Citation84 thanks for printing the truth about G.M. cars.
I know many of the vehicles have never been cold weather or water tested.
The goverment tracks repair records, they know it to.
Check the assembly point on the sticker. They closed many hard working
plants and reopened them in mexico where they pay $8.00 per day.

P.S. I have had three new ford products and never once have been back to dealer for any warranty work.

RoadIon 09-26-2009 11:36 PM

I've never been plagued with car problems. Had a troublesome 1986 Toyota and a wind swept 2006 VUE. I rid myself of both rigs within the first year. So I have nothing bad to say about any car company including GM and Toyota. I can say starting some time ago I have been more then happy with my Saturn service dept. Thats why I keep going back to Saturn, not because they build the best car in the world, but because they have the best service dept in the world. Oh and thats the service dept I go to. All I can say is the best of luck to GM, I hope all turns out well. I hope the greed of the employees both union and non union does not run whats left into the ground. Maybe Walmart should run the American Auto Industry.

john95SW2 09-27-2009 08:27 AM

[QUOTE=Citation84;1518828]

And if you say I only had "bottom of the barrel cars", who made them that way but GM ?

Now, given my history with the "Mark Of Excellence", I think that if I was stupid enough to buy from GM again I would truly be a "Kool Aid Drinker".

[/QUOTE]

Citation84 - I have never bought anything other than a GM car, from my 1976 Olds Cutlass to our 2008 Chevy Uplander...and while I may or may not buy another based upon our needs and situation the next time, I couldn't agree with you more...they built and sold a lot of junk...

On the bright side, they depreciate really quickly and are very affordable when you buy them used....:D

SL2CAM 09-27-2009 09:02 AM

i hope gm turns around and becomes the worlds largest builder of cars. i hope the housing market turns around and i hope the same for the economy. i hope everyone is employed within the next year or two, and that everyone makes a desent wage so they can buy a house and new car. I hate to see any company shut it's doors, thats just more jobs lost. go for it gm, make all of us proud.

s-seriesguy 09-27-2009 06:17 PM

[i]Inappropriate post deleted by administrator.[/i]

Jaseball 09-27-2009 06:50 PM

Why are you such a dedicated GM fanboi, cheerleader, kool aid drinker?

People who so devoutly defend a corporation and spend so much effort have to have some personal, financial, spiritual or other connection to be so concerned and vocal.

Do you depend on GM contracts for your livelihood? Do you and family members work at GM?

I bought past GM vehicles as have others. I bought GM stock. I like Saturn as a brand. That's my connection. It's why I'm so negative about the company now and I'm not some isolated opinion.

Charlie 09-27-2009 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=s-seriesguy;1519923]Wasn't the deal supposed to be finalized by September? More delays and more dealers walking away. Yeah we will see how that goes.[/QUOTE]

What's with all the negative vibes? Its not the end of September yet. Hand in there. ;)

Don't be so rude -- RELAX! :)

Charlie

Charlie 09-27-2009 08:09 PM

[QUOTE=Jaseball;1518180]When the Penske deal is done and Saturn is truly no longer connected to GM will GM news be covered here still?[/QUOTE]

No, it won't. The only time you'll see GM news is if its related to any of the GM-built products.

Charlie

s-seriesguy 09-27-2009 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=s-seriesguy;1519923][i]Inappropriate post deleted by administrator.[/i][/QUOTE]
LOL

[QUOTE=Jaseball;1519934]Why are you such a dedicated GM fanboi, cheerleader, kool aid drinker?[/quote]
Better break out the infraction on this one here too Charlie, insulting other members.:rolleyes:

saturn 51 09-28-2009 07:28 PM

Check the vibes from Lou Sobhs automotive news story 09/28/2009