SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Renault Fluence Provides More Insight into What Could Become Saturn (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144005)

Charlie 09-07-2009 10:16 PM

New Renault Fluence Provides More Insight into What Could Become Saturn

A new image entry has been added:

[drupal=3324]New Renault Fluence Provides More Insight into What Could Become Saturn’s Next Small Car[/drupal]

[quote]Last week, Renault took the wraps off the 2010 Fluence[/quote]

BobbyP 09-08-2009 12:10 AM

Re: New Renault Fluence Provides More Insight into What Could Become Saturn

Deja vu... I see the repeat of the AMC Alliance, Eagle Premiere, the L series, or Astra. Even if this car was built in Tennessee it won't sell. I suspect much of it's content will be imported from Korea.

IMO it will sell less than the Aura, or ION.

kilcher 09-08-2009 03:56 AM

Booooring!

unkle bik 09-08-2009 08:25 AM

Looks like a hunday from Turkey...:p

VTHokie00SL2 09-08-2009 10:56 AM

Wasn't the whole point of Saturn to prove that the US could still design and build its own competitive small car?

stevedj_98 09-08-2009 12:44 PM

Could be a turkey from Turkey

MacTech 09-08-2009 02:06 PM

This gets a resounding "Meh" from me, uninspired styling (then again, my Ion-2 is no looker either....) and generally seems to have a "Corrolla-esque" blandness to it

My mother picked up a '08 Astra automatic (BLECH!, HATE AUTOMATICS!) last week (I sold it to her, I'm working at a local Saturn dealer now), and it annoys me that the Astra was so under-promoted by GM, yes my Ion is more powerful and has a *tad* better acceleration, but the overall fit-and-finish and handling of the Astra leaves the Ion behind, in a drag race, I'd win, in the twisties, the Astra'd win

That said, I do like the fact that the Fluence has the manual transmission available (I'll never own a sludgebox), and I pray to Og that if this is to be the new Econobox model, that they bring over the Diesel powerplant, 45+MPG FTW!

Slap a 5 speed (or 6 speed) manual and a Diesel in that sucker and I'll seriously consider one (a hatchback would be nice...)

I think the ideal fuel-sipping small Saturn would be;
Astra 5-door sized chassis
Manual transmission standard (auto available for those that want it)
I forsee three engine packages;
"HFE" (High Fuel Efficiency) small 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel engine
"XE" 1.8L Ecotec four like in the Astra
"XR" (Sport model) 2.0L Turbo Ecotec four

and one custom-build option
"XR-GT" (3.6L V6 Turbo)

davidsky 09-09-2009 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=VTHokie00SL2;1510540]Wasn't the whole point of Saturn to prove that the US could still design and build its own competitive small car?[/QUOTE]

They failed, try the Ford dealer.

thatjerryguy 09-09-2009 04:37 PM

This is Saturn's future? A French version of a Korean car? :hmpf: Mr. Penske is keeping himself busy nailing down the coffin lid and digging the hole.

:us:

davidsky 09-09-2009 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=thatjerryguy;1511354]This is Saturn's future? A French version of a Korean car? :hmpf: Mr. Penske is keeping himself busy nailing down the coffin lid and digging the hole.

:us:[/QUOTE]

More a Korean version of a French/Japanese car

adventureoflink 09-09-2009 05:30 PM

Yeah, and let's totally watch the diesel version NOT come over, but the electric version will come in and be the savior. :ugh:

SaturnSdn 09-09-2009 07:04 PM

2.0 16V 140hp, with manual or continuously variable transmission (CVT)

CVT who in the world is going to want another one of these? 140hp is ok if it scales in no more then 2,750lbs. Can't find the torque of the 2.0. I'll hold on till I see, and read more about this car. Hey it may never make it here anyway.

s-seriesguy 09-09-2009 09:47 PM

If this is the best Penske can do, call it done with before too long

piney 09-09-2009 09:56 PM

They could call it the Saturn Alliance, after its distant cousin the Renault Alliance...

[IMG]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4922/1986renaultalliancedlpr.jpg[/IMG]

French styling is so European, I've just gotta have it.

SaturnSdn 09-09-2009 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=piney;1511566]They could call it the Saturn Alliance, after its distant cousin the Renault Alliance...

[IMG]http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4922/1986renaultalliancedlpr.jpg[/IMG]

French styling is so European, I've just gotta have it.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="7"][CENTER][B]LOL[/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]

or the Penkse Re-Alliance

Sival 09-09-2009 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=thatjerryguy;1511354]This is Saturn's future? A French version of a Korean car? :hmpf: [/QUOTE]

Actually, a Korean-made French car is more like it. The Renault Fluence is basically the older generation Mégane tweaked a bit and made in Korea to be sold in poorer markets (eastern europe).

[QUOTE]CVT who in the world is going to want another one of these? 140hp is ok if it scales in no more then 2,750lbs. Can't find the torque of the 2.0. I'll hold on till I see, and read more about this car. Hey it may never make it here anyway.[/QUOTE]

If it's the same engine as in the Mégane, it's 195 N-m, so around 147 lb-ft. I think it's the same unit as in the Nissan Sentra, and it's quite enough for the job. CVTs are more and more common in smaller vehicles, and frankly it's a positive point for me... not that I'll be able to purchase any car Penske brings for Saturn because I'm in Canada :x

unkle bik 09-10-2009 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=Sival;1511621]Actually, a Korean-made French car is more like it. The Renault Fluence is basically the older generation Mégane tweaked a bit and made in Korea to be sold in [B][I]poorer markets [/I][/B](eastern europe).
[/QUOTE]
The way the economy is headed, you might want to include the :us: as a "poorer market"....

BobbyP 09-10-2009 09:48 AM

I continue to find it amazing how these guys continue to forget history. They are doomed to repeat past mistakes...

American car buyers are slow to change and don't easily forget after a car company screwed them.

If Penske doesn't give this car an unique advantage, it will sell less than the Astra.

There are good reasons this "technological marvel" is sold in poorer markets. Throwing in an electric motor will not change anything.

Hey Penske some guy in Ohio has a Ford Pinto with an electric motor...

Penske must think Saturn owners would buy anything with a Saturn badge on it. For years Saturn owners bought B+ cars from A+ dealers because of the unique cars, outstanding customer support and service.

Now that the dealer network is in shambles, Penske is going to try and sell a marginal Third World car.

Tell Nissan that you pass on this, and to throw you a better bone... Saturn deserves cars as good or better than the Sentra, Altima, or Rogue.

Sival 09-10-2009 12:25 PM

[QUOTE]Now that the dealer network is in shambles, Penske is going to try and sell a marginal Third World car. [/QUOTE]

Volkswagen did very well in selling a third world car in Canada. The City Golf is a big seller in Canada.

But the thing you have to remember is that this car is basically a Mégane of the old generation, one which ended its run last year and competed directly with the Astra that we got here. So even if it's a bit older, it was still competitive with the Astra that was considered above the class average when introduced to North America, so it's not an horrible car by any means.

CrunkedRL 09-10-2009 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=Sival;1511836]Volkswagen did very well in selling a third world car in Canada. The City Golf is a big seller in Canada.

But the thing you have to remember is that this car is basically a Mégane of the old generation, one which ended its run last year and competed directly with the Astra that we got here. So even if it's a bit older, it was still competitive with the Astra that was considered above the class average when introduced to North America, so it's not an horrible car by any means.[/QUOTE]

By the time this car makes it to the states (if it does) it will be severely out classed by every other compact car offering. Elantra, Cruze, Forte, Sentra, Focus, Mazda3, Corolla, and Civic. This car exhudes a look that yells outdated, cheap, and chintzy. This car would be an absolute abomination if it debuted here knowing it's current/future competition. There's a reason why it was produced for poorer markets. Not impressed:redface: