SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What Does Saturn Have in Common with the Energizer Bunny? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138213)

wifeofcore 05-09-2009 04:24 PM

What Does Saturn Have in Common with the Energizer Bunny?

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=3068]What Does Saturn Have in Common with the Energizer Bunny?[/drupal]

[quote]Mike Morrissey, from the Saturn Communications Team equated Saturns to the popular advertising character, the Energizer Bunny, in a blog written on ImSaturn.com yesterday. Why you may ask? Saturn discovered through a research study conducted by R.L. Polk that 83% of all of the Saturns ever sold in the United States are still actively registered. You may remember that nearly two weeks ago Saturn celebrated the sale of their 4 millionth vehicle in Traverse City, Michigan: a black three door Astra. Of those 4 million vehicles, 3.3 million of them are still in use.[/quote]

John10 05-09-2009 05:22 PM

Re: What Does Saturn Have in Common with the Energizer Bunny?

Very interesting stat. I know one of mine was totaled in an accident but I wonder how many of the rest are still running.

page2171 05-09-2009 06:55 PM

One of mine was totaled too. A '93 SL1.

I was going to say that it's because the rumors just keep going and going and going...:D

geartooth94 05-09-2009 08:55 PM

still have my '91 SL2 two-tone. I drive it a few times a week, but it needs some cosmetic restoration. Engine and trans. are solid though.

BobbyP 05-09-2009 09:36 PM

IMO it was more of the owners love of the car and brand that helped keep them on the road.

My SC was not spectacular as far as reliability. My VUE has been extremely reliable.

ruley73 05-10-2009 12:01 AM

I'll tell you what they have in common: they keep going, and going, and going....LOL

Many other folks will agree. When I first bought my 2000 SC2, it already most of the mods listed below and had 160K miles on it. I beat the piss out of it for the first month or so because I liked the sound of it. It spent alot of time above 4K RPM. I still get on it hard on occasion but not often since it's my daily driver and I can't afford the resulting loss in fuel economy. I also can't afford a catostrophic failure. It's just rolled past 205K miles with the original engine and second transmission. It is a manual tranny, but the previous owner somehow broke the case (didn't appear to be from diff pin failure BTW) and JB welded it together, causing some misalignment within and eating my 5th gear synchronizer (I suddenly couldn't shift into 5th gear, drove fine otherwise). The used transmission I put in it had 108K miles on it.

I plan to keep it as a daily driver for a few more years. After that I'm going to park it and thoroughly restore it and build up the engine. I would like to turbocharge it if I have the resources.

mikec 05-10-2009 06:26 PM

About 100K of the difference could be VTi Vues and Ions that have been placed out of service.

MaxHork 05-11-2009 01:59 PM

Just completely wonderful cars, not only to drive, but to look at. 1997 SL1 Owner with 156K on it, I wouldnt trade her for anything . . . okay well thats not completely true :p.

Low Saturn 05-14-2009 01:24 PM

8 of the 20 Saturn S-Series I've owned ar no longer on the road.

2NDSOUT 05-14-2009 01:55 PM

Of the Saturns I have owned:

1994 SC1 is currently garaged, awaiting an engine rebuild.
1994 SL2 is currently my daily driver
1997 SW2 is currently my wife's daily driver
1994 SL2 Homecoming Edition is currently being "Restored"
1992 SL1 was traded in on the 2005 VUE
2005 VUE was wrecked in March 2008
1991 SC was sold to my mechanic, who used the Trans in a 1992 SC

So the majority of mine are "Still on the road" :)

sparkynsmoke 10-23-2010 11:35 AM

My '95 SL2 has nearly 230K on it and is [I]still[I]going strong. I also have a '05 Relay 2 and while I don't have that many miles on it, I love riding high and the feeling of being a bit safer than in my sedan. Meaning that the Relay obviously rides higher up.
Two weeks ago I drove a carpool of coworkers to a conference and they were all impressed with my little "Smokin' Swoop". Of course at work they see Sparky more, but IMHO, I think I have the best cars in the lot at work.
My 'girls' have personality, they wear their mom's love of sport and patriotism on their windows, but most important, they wear their Saturn badges proudly.
Even their Chevy Cavalier 'brother' when he goes with me to work, shows the same pride.
I love my Saturns and am looking right now to getting me a Vue just to commute to work so I can start restoring and rebuilding my SL2.
Saturn, [I]definitely[/I]a different kind of car, and if you don't or never owned one, you just don't understand.

mike08vue 10-23-2010 08:32 PM

I "totaled" a 2001 L200 when it was new---it may actually be back on the road as a wrecked and rebuilt car--a junkyard specializing in late model Saturns bought it off me and inferred they had another "doner" L200 to make a whole car. I do know that as of last year my first Saturn, a 1992 SL, was still on the road with over 200K miles on it! A lady in a neighboring town bought it and drove it to work daily at a fast food restaurant there---I still see it when I'm over there.

GR898SL2 10-26-2010 01:17 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the salvage outfit fixed my SL2 and put it back on the road (I've seen a couple of look-alikes, but they're both '99s) A neighbor of my brother's bought his SL1 when he got the ION; my mom's SL1 was part of a trade and probably is still alive and kicking somewhere.

:flag:

spitfire22 10-27-2010 12:05 AM

[QUOTE=mikec;1448799]About 100K of the difference could be VTi Vues and Ions that have been placed out of service.[/QUOTE]

I am one of the owners of a 2003 saturn vue it has 117K on it and the transmission went out. After doing some research myself and others I was advised to sell it as is because I would be wasting my time and money if I replace the tranny. It seems it would only last another 20,000K if I'm lucky because the same transmission would be put in. So I don't have the same feeling as some of you about a Saturn. Saturn doesn't want to help in anyway except to charge me 4,000- to 5,000 and can't tell me it will last more then the 20K......... Not a happy Saturn customer since I paid 13,000 for it 4 years ago.....[/HTML]