SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Astra General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Didn't realize my Astra has 3 cup holders. (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137108)

Astral Traveler 04-18-2009 07:12 PM

Didn't realize my Astra has 3 cup holders.

I just now noticed there is a contraption on the back seat where you push a button and out pop two more cup holders.

Am I the only one who didn't already know this?

Project 04-18-2009 10:04 PM

Re: Didn't realize my Astra has 3 cup holders.

While it's not really usable when the vehicle is moving there is a cupholder in the glove compartment as well.

99blacktop 04-18-2009 11:36 PM

On a 3 door, you should have 8. One between the front seats, one in the glovebox (although it's a stretch to call it a cupholder), one in each door, one in the trim beside each rear seat and the two that pop-out from the back seat. The 4 in the trim will hold a 12oz can or a small plastic bottle, but not much else. The 5 door is probably the same.

Carscoe 04-19-2009 12:30 AM

[QUOTE=99blacktop;1436463]On a 3 door, you should have 8. One between the front seats, one in the glovebox (although it's a stretch to call it a cupholder), one in each door, one in the trim beside each rear seat and the two that pop-out from the back seat. The 4 in the trim will hold a 12oz can or a small plastic bottle, but not much else. The 5 door is probably the same.[/QUOTE]

it took me quite some time to realize that there were cupholders in the doors. always keep my pop in there now lol

titan12 04-19-2009 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=99blacktop;1436463]On a 3 door, you should have 8. One between the front seats, one in the glovebox (although it's a stretch to call it a cupholder), one in each door, one in the trim beside each rear seat and the two that pop-out from the back seat. The 4 in the trim will hold a 12oz can or a small plastic bottle, but not much else. The 5 door is probably the same.[/QUOTE]

didn't know a bottle would fit in the doors.. Have to try it..

PanVet 04-19-2009 02:51 AM

[QUOTE=Astral Traveler;1436377]I just now noticed there is a contraption on the back seat where you push a button and out pop two more cup holders.

Am I the only one who didn't already know this?[/QUOTE]

Apparently someone missed that section in the manual.

szylak66 04-19-2009 09:18 AM

I had no idea the 3DR had eight....good to know :)

NJastra 04-19-2009 11:29 AM

And didn't just about all the media reviews on the Astra complain that there WASN'T ENOUGH cup holders? LOL Fools. I guess either they weren't obvious enough or just not in the normal places.

Project 04-19-2009 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=NJastra;1436577]And didn't just about all the media reviews on the Astra complain that there WASN'T ENOUGH cup holders? LOL Fools. I guess either they weren't obvious enough or just not in the normal places.[/QUOTE]I checked mine out and they're not really cup holders more like bottle or can holders.

hoody123 04-20-2009 05:51 PM

Gotta admit, I had no idea there were/are any in the doors???? I'm trying to envision where they are on the door that I didn'tknow they were there???

Layoira 04-20-2009 08:21 PM

[QUOTE=hoody123;1437361]Gotta admit, I had no idea there were/are any in the doors???? I'm trying to envision where they are on the door that I didn'tknow they were there???[/QUOTE]

Not sure in the 3 door i would imagine theyre the same as 5 door but theyre right to the top of the door bin, (closest part to the front of the car). Its basically big enough for a bottle of water. If you are lucky you can fit a paper coffee cup in there on a semi slant but it does the job when all the others are full. Or you can fit one of those round plastic canisters of gum in there, which sits in my drivers door slot :D

djmtz1 04-20-2009 08:56 PM

I cannot figure out where these extra cup holders are, anyone care to post a pic of them (the ones in the doors)?

I know where the spring loaded one and the one where the armrest is/was supposed to be :yes:

titan12 04-20-2009 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=djmtz1;1437475]I cannot figure out where these extra cup holders are, anyone care to post a pic of them (the ones in the doors)?

I know where the spring loaded one and the one where the armrest is/was supposed to be :yes:[/QUOTE]

I have the 3 door and from what I can see there is one between the front seats one in the glove box, 2 in the plastic tray in the center of the back seat and 2 on the side panels in the back seat.. I get 6 cupholders on the 3 door??

Astra La Vista! 04-20-2009 09:30 PM

The 3dr and 5dr models might be different. We've got the one in the center behind the parking brake, one on the glove box lid (although it's more of a coaster than anything), and the two that pop out from the rear seat cushion.

On my 3dr, there are four more. If you climb into the back seat and follow the leading edge of the seat bottom outwards, you will find one in each side trim panel pocket. They aren't really cup holders, but more of a dedicated spot for a 12 oz can or bottle. If you slip your hand inside you will feel tabs that are designed to hold a round 12 oz can in place. As for the front seat passengers, you will find them at the very forward portion of the door pockets, right up against the speaker. You won't see them unless you look straight down, but the same tabs are there.

Can't speak for the 4dr, since I wasn't looking for cup holders the last time I sat in one.

PS: the one in the center is not big enough to hold the largest Slurpee you can buy. The second largest, yes, but not the largest. :hmm:

Layoira 04-20-2009 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=djmtz1;1437475]I cannot figure out where these extra cup holders are, anyone care to post a pic of them (the ones in the doors)?

I know where the spring loaded one and the one where the armrest is/was supposed to be :yes:[/QUOTE]

Im out of town and took the jeep, but when i get back tomorrow afternoon I'll take pics of the ones in the 5 door bins. Looks like you have a 5 door from your display pic

Robor007 04-21-2009 06:45 AM

IMO the only 'real' cup holder usable from the front seat is the large one between the seats. The glove box can't be used while driving and the ones in the doors are virtually useless unless you've got a small and narrow bottle. Two convenience items I wish the Astra had are a storage spot bigger than the ash tray and another front seat cup holder.

Speaking of the 'main' cup holder, does anyone else constantly leave their drink in their car? It sits far back and I keep forgetting I put a bottle there. :p

Layoira 04-21-2009 06:50 AM

[QUOTE=Robor007;1437640]IMO the only 'real' cup holder usable from the front seat is the large one between the seats. The glove box can't be used while driving and the ones in the doors are virtually useless unless you've got a small and narrow bottle. Two convenience items I wish the Astra had are a storage spot bigger than the ash tray and another front seat cup holder.

Speaking of the 'main' cup holder, does anyone else constantly leave their drink in their car? It sits far back and I keep forgetting I put a bottle there. :p[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the door cup holders. Only bottled water really will fit in there. Cant agree on the main cup holder tho, as I have the Boomerang armrest in mine :p

Robor007 04-21-2009 07:51 AM

[QUOTE=Layoira;1437643]Agreed on the door cup holders. Only bottled water really will fit in there. Cant agree on the main cup holder tho, as I have the Boomerang armrest in mine :p[/QUOTE]

I was considering getting the arm rest when I originally got my Astra. I had one in my VW and missed it. Now that I've had my Astra for 4 months I don't miss it anymore so I'm saving the $$$ and keeping the cup holder. :yes:

Merrimack2002 04-21-2009 02:21 PM

that is the charm of the Astra, since it was designed by Opel in Germany this is the case. If you remember earlier BMW's and Volkswagens they barely had cup holders. The concept of multi-tasking while driving is foreign to Germans- to drive is to drive. Though to conform to the American market it might be a good idea to add a few more cup holders Volkswagen did it.

Robor007 04-21-2009 02:38 PM

[QUOTE=Merrimack2002;1437944]that is the charm of the Astra, since it was designed by Opel in Germany this is the case. If you remember earlier BMW's and Volkswagens they barely had cup holders. The concept of multi-tasking while driving is foreign to Germans- to drive is to drive. Though to conform to the American market it might be a good idea to add a few more cup holders Volkswagen did it.[/QUOTE]

Don't remind me. The plastic 'pop-out' cup holder in my GTI broke. They wanted $300+ to replace it. Apparently the replacement includes taking most of the dash apart. Fine German Engineering! :D