SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rumor Mill: Progress Being Made on Saturn Spin-Off, Sources Say We Will be "Excited" (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135731)

Charlie 03-22-2009 10:07 PM

Rumor Mill: Progress Being Made on Saturn Spin-Off, Sources Say We Will be "Excited"

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=2947]Rumor Mill: Progress Being Made on Saturn Spin-Off, Sources Say We Will be "Excited"[/drupal]

[quote]SaturnFans.com hears that progress is being made in Saturn's attempt to spin itself off from General Motors. The customer-friendly brand is reportedly moving quickly to determine a viable, long-term business plan for the future - and to return to its roots as a "different kind of car company." While nothing official has been released by the company, word on the street is that the things are moving forward.[/quote]

marx404 03-22-2009 10:49 PM

Re: Rumor Mill: Progress Being Made on Saturn Spin-Off, Sources Say We Will be "Excit

Thank you Charlie. If I were to highlight this article, this would be the key sentence:

[quote]While nothing official has been released by the company, word on the street is that the things are moving forward.[/quote]

We should all wait and see what does happen before pondering or making any final determinations or judgments about Saturn.

Let's see what happens.

jaman 03-22-2009 11:44 PM

Re: Rumor Mill: Progress Being Made on Saturn Spin-Off, Sources Say We Will be "Excit

Hopefully there will be some real news soon. As a Saturn consumer, every day we go without knowing the fate of our Saturn company is a step closer to sure Saturn death. In this case I would say that know news is NOT good news. The confusion within the company is quite apparent to the public at this point (big mistake on Saturn's part)on one day we here that gm is not going to produce the vehicle anymore and on that same day we see a Saturn commercial on TV saying that there ok and that the company will be around for years to come , wus up with that ?????????? :no:

The bottom line about Saturn to me is this -- [B]they produce a dam good car[/B] and it would be a shame to see a good car/idea tossed away because of financial/business mistakes that were made. The only way were going to fight Honda and Toyota is to produce affordable compact fuel efficient cars that perform and last, that's what Saturn is all about - we cant give up on that idea !

Charlie 03-22-2009 11:56 PM

[QUOTE=jaman;1420811]The confusion within the company is quite apparent to the public at this point (big mistake on Saturn's part)on one day we here that gm is not going to produce the vehicle anymore and on that same day we see a Saturn commercial on TV saying that there ok and that the company will be around for years to come , wus up with that ?????????? :no:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't think Saturn had much advance notice of GM's decision to "explore alternatives" with Saturn. They know that they're not only racing against time, but also the public's perception and the competition's spin on the situation. If they're able to announce something definitive by the mid- to end of April -- like all reports indicate they will -- that would be impressive!

Charlie

GR898SL2 03-23-2009 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=Charlie;1420817]Unfortunately, I don't think Saturn had much advance notice of GM's decision to "explore alternatives" with Saturn. They know that they're not only racing against time, but also the public's perception and the competition's spin on the situation. If they're able to announce something definitive by the mid- to end of April -- like all reports indicate they will -- that would be impressive!

Charlie[/QUOTE]

Any good news about Saturn would certainly be welcome right now. I will be attending NYIAS next month at the Javits Center in spite of the bad economic climate, and I expect to see a Saturn booth even though under GM they really are on borrowed time. I figure the mood will be more subdued than in previous years, but GM has announced a handful of vehicle introductions here, with the headliner being the '10 GMC Terrain.

:flag:

NotSaturnSales1 03-24-2009 07:16 AM

GR898SL2, if youre going to the show, look for us on Level three at the far end between Mazda and Caddy. Floor Area (booth) #206 Enjoy the show!

VTHokie00SL2 03-24-2009 10:44 AM

I might go just to see the abomination that is the bloated, ricey new Subaru Legacy. I don't expect the production version to be much better than the concept. Oh well, maybe by the time I need my next car I'll be able to afford a BMW 328xi!

thatjerryguy 03-24-2009 11:07 AM

[QUOTE=VTHokie00SL2;1421698]I might go just to see the abomination that is the bloated, ricey new Subaru Legacy. I don't expect the production version to be much better than the concept. Oh well, maybe by the time I need my next car I'll be able to afford a BMW 328xi![/QUOTE]

I was thinking of buying a certified pre-owned 328ix (can get an '07 for around 25-26K) until I found that the 3-Series is equipped with run flat tires, of which I have read very little good things about.

:us:

thatjerryguy 03-24-2009 11:08 AM

[QUOTE=SaturnSales1;1421530]GR898SL2, if youre going to the show, look for us on Level three at the far end between Mazda and Caddy. Floor Area (booth) #206 Enjoy the show![/QUOTE]

I'll also be attending, so I'll look for you, too.

:us:

Skyzilla 03-24-2009 04:06 PM

I was in the Saturn of Houston Dealership on Monday March 23rd and spoke with several of the employees and they all said the spinoff is a done deal. Man I sure hope so. I love my Saturn Sky and I don't want to see Saturn go away...... not ever!!!

eRic 02sc2 03-24-2009 10:36 PM

Saturn should re-badge Opel products since GM wants to spin off Opel anyway.

wolfman 03-25-2009 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=eRic 02sc2;1422158]Saturn should re-badge Opel products since GM wants to spin off Opel anyway.[/QUOTE]

Suggested that weeks ago. Saturn already sells Opels (Astra) and Opel already sells Saturns (The Sky is the Opel GT)

Opel makes small cars, midsize, and small SUV crossovers etc... that have very little in common with any other product currently sold by GM.

Opels would be unique in the American market... single established sourcing, ready supply of parts and service etc..single manufacturer.

Saturn needs product, Opel needs expanded market / dealers to increase sales and manufacturing to save itself...

Perfect.

hand-filer 03-25-2009 08:58 PM

[QUOTE=wolfman;1422300]Suggested that weeks ago. Saturn already sells Opels (Astra) and Opel already sells Saturns (The Sky is the Opel GT)

Opel makes small cars, midsize, and small SUV crossovers etc... that have very little in common with any other product currently sold by GM.

Opels would be unique in the American market... single established sourcing, ready supply of parts and service etc..single manufacturer.

Saturn needs product, Opel needs expanded market / dealers to increase sales and manufacturing to save itself...

Perfect.[/QUOTE]

Seems like a perfectly logical concept. Therefore unlikely.

gpartrid 03-25-2009 09:38 PM

I couldn't agree with you folks more. Saturn as becoming the NA outlet for Opel would keep me coming back again and again. It just seems so darned logical. I hope GM (or even Saturn, for that matter) doesn't find a way to muck this one up if it is indeed an idea being seriously entertained.

NotSaturnSales1 03-25-2009 10:04 PM

Stay tuned

wolfman 03-26-2009 01:14 AM

The coming Saturn line?

[url]http://www.opel.ie/action/go?cntryCd=IE&langCd=en&webSiteId=GBPIE&page=gmehome&BROWSER=&VERSION=&OS=[/url]

But PLEASE re-badge kings, not this:

In 2004, General Motors pulled the Daewoo brand of vehicles out of Australia and New Zealand, citing irreparable brand damage. Later that same year, GM announced that [B]Daewoo Motors in Europe would change its name to Chevrolet on 1 January 2005. In 2005, it was announced that Daewoo cars would have a Holden badge in Australia and New Zealand. In South Africa, Thailand and the Middle East, Daewoo models were already being sold as Chevrolets[/B]. Only in South Korea and Vietnam does the Daewoo marque survive.

marx404 03-26-2009 06:33 AM

[QUOTE=wolfman;1422976]The coming Saturn line?

[url]http://www.opel.ie/action/go?cntryCd=IE&langCd=en&webSiteId=GBPIE&page=gmehome&BROWSER=&VERSION=&OS=[/url]

But PLEASE re-badge kings, not this:

In 2004, General Motors pulled the Daewoo brand of vehicles out of Australia and New Zealand, citing irreparable brand damage. Later that same year, GM announced that [B]Daewoo Motors in Europe would change its name to Chevrolet on 1 January 2005. In 2005, it was announced that Daewoo cars would have a Holden badge in Australia and New Zealand. In South Africa, Thailand and the Middle East, Daewoo models were already being sold as Chevrolets[/B]. Only in South Korea and Vietnam does the Daewoo marque survive.[/QUOTE]

I am with you on this one. It would be great t o see Opel and Saturn officially merge. It was Opel based Saturns (LS) that attracted me to the brand in the first place. I love my Astra. GM is spreading Daewoo too thin, too much.

VTHokie00SL2 03-26-2009 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=wolfman;1422300]Saturn needs product, Opel needs expanded market / dealers to increase sales and manufacturing to save itself...

Perfect.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense, but it'd still be an import. Personally, I'll never have the same interest I had initially in Saturn unless it somehow becomes a truly American company again. :us:

SaturnSdn 03-26-2009 10:41 PM

GM owns OPEL has starting in 1929 the only way OPEL takes over SATURN is if OPEL is leaves GM.

Just my thought.

But I did post this months ago before we all found out the poor condition OPEL is in.

HOW TO KEEP SATURN
by SaturnSdn on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:50 pm

GM needs to keep SATURN and bring it back to be a different kind of car company. Saturn sold 200,000 units a year for years. Evan the ION sold this amount of cars
2002 - 6,066 /
2003 - 117,230 /
2004 - 104,044 /
2005 - 100,891 /
2006 - 102,042 /
2007 - 47,873 /
2008 - 314,
without a wagon, without a clone. GM could clone the entire ASTRA line up and maybe the CORSA lineup build them in US, Canada, or Mexico. Saturn can make money selling compact and maybe subcompact cars that are different from other GM cars. Wake up GM, let SATURN do it's job.

When I say the entire

ASTRA line up I mean,
3dr Hatch,
4dr Sedan,
5dr Hatch,
AstraVan,
Twintop
in two levels. Base engine 1.8L optional engine the 2.4L and performance with the 2.0L turbo. The SKY may just have to go away, sorry.

CORSA line up I mean,
3dr Hatch,
5dr Hatch,
CorsaVan,
and add a Corsa 4dr sedan to the line up to be sold world wide.

[B][SIZE="2"][I]GM is bleeding and that means all GM divisions[/I][/SIZE][/B]

Opel needs to be it's own saviour

BobbyP 03-26-2009 10:47 PM

Your plan would only work if you can convince Americans in enough numbers to buy an Opel. That has never happened...

There's a long track record of, or the lack of, Opel sales in the US. Buick sold them from 1958 to 1975 will no noticeable sales...

The best thing is to reach out to the manufacturers that make cars Americans desire... The Japanese manufacturers.

If you can't beat them, join them...