SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   General Motors to Commemorate Launch of Chevrolet Traverse at Spring Hill Plant (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126626)

Charlie 10-01-2008 11:33 PM

General Motors to Commemorate Launch of Chevrolet Traverse at Spring Hill Plant

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=2630]General Motors to Commemorate Launch of Chevrolet Traverse at Spring Hill Plant[/drupal]

[quote]It's still strange for me to hear, read, or think about Saturn's former plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee building a non-Saturn product, but with the Lambda-based Chevy Traverse already shipping from the factory, I guess it's time for me to stop nostalgically living in the past.[/quote]

ricksLS1 10-02-2008 07:34 PM

Re: General Motors to Commemorate Launch of Chevrolet Traverse at Spring Hill Plant

Kinda strange that a factory that was suppose to make a small reliable car to take on the imports is making a large crossover vehicle that is competing with the Saturn Outlook (Clones):dizzy:

John10 10-03-2008 06:23 AM

Re: General Motors to Commemorate Launch of Chevrolet Traverse at Spring Hill Plant

It's a far better outcome than a weed infested piece of real estate holding empty buildings and surrounded by a barbed wire topped chain link fence.

foster 10-03-2008 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=ricksLS1;1325357]Kinda strange that a factory that was suppose to make a small reliable car to take on the imports is making a large crossover vehicle that is competing with the Saturn Outlook (Clones):dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Blame the UAW.

ricksLS1 10-03-2008 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=John10;1325480]It's a far better outcome than a weed infested piece of real estate holding empty buildings and surrounded by a barbed wire topped chain link fence.[/QUOTE]

The way GM is losing market share and money I'm sure more plants will close. If GM went bankrupt they could shed the UAW contacts like the steel industry did.

VTHokie00SL2 10-03-2008 05:28 PM

[QUOTE=John10;1325480]It's a far better outcome than a weed infested piece of real estate holding empty buildings and surrounded by a barbed wire topped chain link fence.[/QUOTE]

I suppose, though they could always tear it down to put up a Walmart or Home Depot! I think that's basically what they did to the old GM plant in Linden, NJ.

eRic 02sc2 10-03-2008 10:13 PM

:upset:
they should build a US Astra at Spring Hill instead of the Chevy Travesty

mike08vue 02-16-2010 11:57 AM

It's ironic that this is exactly what might happen to it after all. GM has not been forthcoming with it's destiny since they stopped building Chevys there. Looks like the big change in Spring Hill only lasted a year(10-08--10-09).:rolleyes:

ricksLS1 02-16-2010 03:03 PM

It's been so long is Spring Hill making anything?

05SaturnRL 02-16-2010 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=ricksLS1;1584900]It's been so long is Spring Hill making anything?[/QUOTE]
Parts and engines, no vehicles

GR898SL2 02-16-2010 07:15 PM

Mostly Ecotec engines after Traverse production moves to LDT.

:flag:

GR898SL2 02-16-2010 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=eRic 02sc2;1325987]:upset:
they should build a US Astra at Spring Hill instead of the Chevy Travesty[/QUOTE]

Not likely. The speculation in the rumor mill has US Astra production going to Lordstown alongside the Cruze - or Orion Township with the Spark. :rolleyes:

adventureoflink 02-17-2010 12:12 AM

[QUOTE=GR898SL2;1585023]LDT[/QUOTE]
Load of Trash from Detroit? :D

05SaturnRL 02-17-2010 12:56 AM

[QUOTE=GR898SL2;1585023]Mostly Ecotec engines after Traverse production moves to LDT.

:flag:[/QUOTE]
The Traverese has already moved there

ricksLS1 02-17-2010 08:47 AM

So you have a major plant that used to make vehicles and engines that makes just engines. Wow .. GM still has a lot more shrinking to do but hey they have the goverment cash machine behind them:xeye:

marx404 02-17-2010 09:53 AM

I wonder if they will commemorate the occasion with a bronzed effigy of Bob Lutz, facing the old Saturn plant giving the middle finger salute?

john95SW2 02-17-2010 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=VTHokie00SL2;1325866]I suppose, though they could always tear it down to put up a Walmart or Home Depot! I think that's basically what they did to the old GM plant in Linden, NJ.[/QUOTE]

Yep...like Route 1 actually needs ANOTHER strip mall....:no:

ricksLS1 02-18-2010 07:21 PM

An old Ford plant in Mawah NJ is now the US corporate headquaters for Sharp Electronics

GR898SL2 02-22-2010 07:12 PM

Anyone know what the future holds for Colorado/Canyon? GM has been unusually quiet lately. There was also talk about a stretched Lambda that would be the basis for the next-generation Escalade.

I think 'in limbo' would be the best way to describe Spring Hill Manufacturing right now.:|

mikec 02-22-2010 07:34 PM

Senator Elect Scott Brown from MA drove a Canyon so I'm sure that sales of that vehicle have increased since the election. He conveyed the 'truck guy' image.