SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Saturn Retail Sales Rose 9% in June (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121528)

Charlie 07-01-2008 11:40 PM

Saturn Retail Sales Rose 9% in June

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=2424]Saturn Retail Sales Rose 9% in June[/drupal]

[quote]Saturn retail sales rose 9% in June, thanks in part to a special [URL="http://www.saturnfans.com/cars/vue/saturn-brings-back-0-financing-company-boosts-production-popular-fuel-efficient-models"]zero-percent financing[/URL] sale that the brand offered during the last week of the month. However, overall sales for the month of June were down 12.8% compared to last year due to the sales gap created by the discontinued Ion sedan and quad coupe.[/quote]

GB1 07-02-2008 12:37 AM

Re: Saturn Retail Sales Rose 9% in June

Not too bad, though they really do love putting a positive spin on every thing. :cool: I bet 9/10 people on the street have never heard of the Saturn Astra (maybe more like 19/20). I guess GM realizes this; but what do they plan on doing about it?

onefunkar 07-02-2008 12:01 PM

saturn sales were down 12.8 percent from what i read. saturn blamed it on no longer having an entry level car

BobbyP 07-02-2008 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=onefunkar;1275004]saturn sales were down 12.8 percent from what i read. saturn blamed it on no longer having an entry level car[/QUOTE]

They are being deceptive. Sales rose if they take out the sales of the ION in 2007.

On their official sales release to investor Saturn cars are down 20.5% comparing June 08 to June 07.

8404 cars sold in June 2008, and 10570 cars sold in June 2007.

By June 2007 Saturn sold 125,621 vehicles. So far this year they sold 102,205 vehicles.

For the 2008 calendar year Saturn vehicle sales are down 18.6%.

GM as a whole is down 16.5% in vehicle sales this year.

TechnoAura 07-02-2008 12:49 PM

Although GM sales as a whole were down 18% for the month of June (according to ABC news), Toyota sales were down 21%. The automotive market as a whole dropped 18.3%. I wonder if Toyota realizes they are not bullet-proof in the United States?

onefunkar 07-02-2008 01:15 PM

saturn actually did pretty well considering the market. one thing that really hurts us is the terrible reslale values. most of our cars are worth only a little over half in 1 year. many who want to trade cant stomach the huge depresication. not ,long ago we laughed it the resale of kia , hyundai etc. now its us

Jaseball 07-02-2008 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=onefunkar;1275074]saturn actually did pretty well considering the market. one thing that really hurts us is the terrible reslale values. most of our cars are worth only a little over half in 1 year. many who want to trade cant stomach the huge depresication. not ,long ago we laughed it the resale of kia , hyundai etc. now its us[/QUOTE]

Totally true, but that only hurts people who like to drive new cars. If you maintain, pay off, and just drive your Saturn into the ground that is by far the best return on investment.

I know a guy who spent $7K+ on major repairs for a 12 year old Nissan Pathfinder. It's at that point where spending large amounts of cash to maintain such an old car makes little sense and buying a new one is actually the better move.

As for car sales, the economy and all the trouble in gas costs, credit, housing, job losses, etc., make buying a new car one of the first things people struggling can't afford.

No point in trying to carry a new monthly expense in the car payment when you could possibly be repo'd in a few months.

I've actually seen a few cars in my area get repo'd recently, but mostly expensive luxury cars.

onefunkar 07-02-2008 04:02 PM

you are right but it hurt new car sales because new car buyers have trouble trading in there saturn thats 1 2 or 3 yrs old because of the bad value of it. plus it hard to swallow paying 30,000 dollars for a car that in a year is worth 15000 less. im a new car buyer and it makes it harder for me to trade. normally id trade my 07 aura for an 09 in the fall but my 07 isnt worth much. alot due to the huge amount of rentals on the market

jprice82 07-02-2008 05:24 PM

For Saturn thats big. When 19/20 have no clue what a Saturn is. People don't know the Saturn logo and none of the saturns Say SATURN.... Till that happen's no one will know what a saturn is..:eek:

onefunkar 07-02-2008 05:33 PM

all 2009 s are supposed to say saturn on them per saturn about 6 months ago