SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   GM Sends Letter to Retailers Regarding 'Megastore' Article (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112383)

Charlie 01-21-2008 10:35 PM

GM Sends Letter to Retailers Regarding 'Megastore' Article

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=1783]GM Sends Letter to Retailers Regarding 'Megastore' Article[/drupal]

[quote]Earlier today SaturnFans.com was obtained a copy of a letter sent by General Motors to dealers across the country regarding an Automotive News article published this past Saturday about a new plan to [URL="http://www.saturnfans.com/company/saturns-may-be-sold-alongside-other-gm-brands-new-major-market-megastores"]consolidate GM brands[/URL] under one roof in urban areas.[/quote]

Uzzy 01-21-2008 11:02 PM

Re: GM Sends Letter to Retailers Regarding 'Megastore' Article

I've been to Saturn of Windsor, Saturn/Sabb/Isuzu of Windsor, Saturn/Saab/Hummer of Windsor and Windsor only has one Saturn retailer. So combining them is no big deal over here. :no: There wa sa push a few years ago for all Saturn stores to shed the Saab and Isuzu affiliation and they did for about a year, then Saab came back and Hummer replaced Isuzu. And it's right next door to a Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer owned by the same guy. All they need is a Chevy and Cadillac department and my plan will be complete...:yes:

John10 01-22-2008 07:25 PM

Well I guess they had to do some serious damage control to prevent rioting in the streets. ;)

That said I still think they ought to consider more cooperative activities among GM brands such as allowing Saturn warranty service work to be done in other GM facilities when there isn't a Saturn store nearby. Even the Army and the Navy have learned that certain things can be accomplished more effectively through joint cooperation and I would think that US auto companies could only benefit by similar behavior in some circumstances.

WhenenRome 01-22-2008 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=John10;1189286]Well I guess they had to do some serious damage control to prevent rioting in the streets. ;)

That said I still think they ought to consider more cooperative activities among GM brands such as allowing Saturn warranty service work to be done in other GM facilities when there isn't a Saturn store nearby..[/QUOTE]

And I think that was, in theory, part of the goal of the first story. John, I totally agree with you that Saturn's service needs to be absorbed into the GM network. The widespread closures of Saturn dealerships in several market regions have left many customers in untenable warranty service situations, and GM should go all the way, RIGHT AWAY, in relieving that circumstance - with your suggestion.

Going further, the other problem with their disappearing dealers - the lack of retail presence in those markets - still exists. The letter dispells the hysteria-provoked interpretation that all the GM brands would suddenly be merging into giant mega-stores. But it doesn't even remotely say that GM would continue prohibiting one unit to take on another under its roof, as was prohibited in the U.S. with Saturn retailers.

I think that was the point of the initial story: that GM is loosening such restrictions.... which is absolutely the right move for them. If an entire region goes vacant of Saturn dealers, as it is in a major portion of the Los Angeles area, and no one is going to invest in constructing a stand-alone Saturn dealership that's already proven to fail because it IS a stand-alone... what is the solution? Do we shrug our shoulders and just resolve that Saturn's dead in the area? Or do we make it more financially sensible and profitable to open another retailer by allowing it to be done under the same roof as an existing GM division?

That is the only way we will ever see areas like mine recover from a previous string of Saturn dealer closures. It's also the only answer to prevent future closures from occurring, by allowing an exisiting Saturn dealer some opportunity to take on another GM make if there's a geographic need. Unless we'd rather have no Saturn at all (and I fear some are such ''true believers,'' that they actually would rather see it die), this is the right direction for GM to move in.

Greenhornet 01-22-2008 11:01 PM

[b][size="5"]welcome To Your Gm Superstore Shoppers.[/size][/b] :us: