SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Rear washer, early SW (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933)

cityhawk 01-23-2001 12:21 PM

Rear washer, early SW

Hello,

On the later SW's as well as the LW's, the rear window washer squirts down from the top (a better approach, using gravity). On the earlier S-series wagons, such as my 1993 SW2, the washer is built into the wiper and sqirts upward in an arc while the wiper moves.

Well, with the glopping of salt on the roads here in recent days, I've noticed that it doesn't sqiurt up far enough so that the top third of the wiper blade's path never gets any washer fluid, and thus remains encrusted with salt. Is there anyway to fix this so that it squirts farther?

Thanks.

100KSW2 01-23-2001 07:46 PM

cityhawk

As the owner of two wagons, you already know how dirty their back ends get.

The last really bad Winter here in PA (95-96) I had a problem with my rear wiper. It was making a sound like it was going to die. I cleaned all around it numerous times and sprayed silicone spray down into the works. After several treatments the nasty noise went away and I have not had another problem since.

I would try some hot soapy water around the washer jet and the rest of the wiper assembly, then after it is cleaned out and dry perhaps some silicone spray into the mechanical parts (not the window of course). Alcohol (or even some washer fluid) may help dissolve whatever is blocking the wiper nozzle also. And lastly, if it has been unseasonably extra cold, maybe it is partially frozen. Good luck! (Ever think about Florida about this time of year? We have already had over 50% of an average season's snow fall in Philly.)

Jim

ssicarman 01-23-2001 07:50 PM

Got bad news for you. The early SW's rear wipers didn't spray up in an arc, they are suposed to spray straight up with out moving. Due to the design of the washer going through the middle of the wiper arm if the pivot centre wasn't kept lubed then the washer would sieze and start to arc spray. Eventually the piping gets tired of moving around and starts to crack and not spray as much because of reduced pressure. Unfortunatly the only real cure for this is to replace the entire rear wiper motor assmbly. Motor expensive, labour about 0.80 hour.

sattech 01-23-2001 10:04 PM

The next time you come in for service I'll be happy to take a look at it for you. The washer is adjustable to a certain extent, although the curvature of the back glass and the spray pressure are the deciding factors.
Just see the service consultant and request me.

Ernie

cityhawk 01-30-2001 01:17 PM

Thanks, Ernie.

On second notice today, the problem wasn't that it didn't spray far enough but that it pointed too far "out" so that the spray missed the window farther up.

sattech 01-30-2001 09:53 PM

The nozzle on the rear wiper is a ball. It can be adjusted by putting a small pick in the nozzle hole and twisting the ball closer to or further away from the glass

cityhawk 02-21-2001 01:35 PM

Thanks again Sattech. Is it really that bleak (replacing the whole motor ass'y) or can the nozzle be freed up?

sattech 02-21-2001 10:46 PM

Unfortunately like ssicarman says, the only way to stop the washer nozzle from moving in an arc is to replace the motor assy.

cityhawk 02-23-2001 12:59 PM

Is it possible to disassemble the motor assembly to free up the nozzle so it doesn't do this anymore?

sattech 02-23-2001 11:23 PM

Tried it once but was unable to. The nozzle is connected to a hose at the motor. The connector is very fragile. I was unable to disconnect the hose without damaging the connector. of course the only way to remove the nozzle to clean that area is to disconnect the hose. You can try removing the wiper cap and soaking the nozzle with a good penetrating oil then use a pair of pliers and GENTLY twist the nozzle back and forth in small increments. Soak the nozzle again let sit ....... numerous times. Eventually the lubricant may break up the corrosion and flush it out. Plan to spend the better part of the day in the attempt. Let me know if it works.

cityhawk 02-26-2001 01:14 PM

Thanks! I might give it a try when I have some time.

sattech 03-01-2001 10:53 PM

A FIX!!! Check the new post on this. NEW PART. And yes cityhawk I ordered one for stock.

trottida 10-29-2005 06:54 AM

Re: Rear washer, early SW

[QUOTE=sattech]A FIX!!! Check the new post on this. NEW PART. And yes cityhawk I ordered one for stock.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know what sattech is referring to when he says that there is a fix? Where it the new post he refers to?

Forget it, I found the post. Thanks