SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Rear Washer Dribbling (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48028)

cgavula 01-24-2005 09:25 PM

Rear Washer Dribbling

I got my new Vue last week. With all the salt and crud on the road, I've had to use the rear wiper/washer a lot. I notices that the fluid sort of runs straight down rather than spraying as it does in the front. Is this normal or should it spray?

I have to take the car in Friday because the cruise control doesn't work at all. Kind of unfortunate for a new car. If the rear washer should spray I want to point it out to the tech while it's in.

Other than these things, I pretty much love the Vue - it handles well and has a lot of power.

Thanks for the info.

--Chris

blkprl 01-24-2005 09:34 PM

Re: Rear Washer Dribbling

Unfortunately mine dribbles as well since new. The wiper also is not very effecient, it seems it needs to have more pressure against the glass.

The Math God 01-24-2005 09:39 PM

that's all you are going to get

NOLA-Vue 01-24-2005 09:50 PM

Just this once, when Saturn tells you it's normal, it IS normal.

cgavula 01-24-2005 09:51 PM

Well Saturn hasn't told me anything yet, I just wanted to check with other folk before I brought it up. It seemed kind of anemic, especially since most of it ends up running down the back of the Vue rather than getting onto the rear window!

Could be worse - I traded an Pontiac Aztek - it had NO washer/wiper at all. Weird with all that glass back there - but then that didn't pick up the dirt the way this one does!

--Chris

mr weather 01-24-2005 10:31 PM

Mine dribbles too. Has since day one. It's normal.

There is a way to time the wipers to take full advantage of the dribble. I've got it down to a science now! :D

I also agree the arm needs MORE pressure.

runerx 01-24-2005 11:04 PM

Has anyone tried "adjusting" the pressure by slightly bending the arm down?
Mine seems to work well enough so I havn't needed to do this myself.
And yes a straight stream down the glass is as good as it gets. It's all about the timing.

DJ :hothead:

cgavula 01-24-2005 11:24 PM

I noticed that it was a trick of timing as well - but I have to agree - a little more pressure would be a good thing.

--Chris

OhioVueBoy 01-25-2005 12:00 AM

2002 - mid 2004 have a sprayer that shoots a straight stream down. Late 2004 and 2005 have a slightly dispersed pattern, but it still just dribbles out.
~D.J.~

aahdd 01-25-2005 12:41 AM

[QUOTE=blkprl]Unfortunately mine dribbles as well since new. The wiper also is not very effecient, it seems it needs to have more pressure against the glass.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

rickpa75 01-25-2005 01:22 PM

I was always wondering about that!!

Seems kind of dumb to have it dribble like that... :hmpf:

I wonder if any aftermarket spray ends would fix it - I'll have to investigate!
-Rick
:arr:

ricksLS1 01-25-2005 01:33 PM

You have to time it right to get it to work at all. I would suggest a rear deflector. Will make things much better but not 100% solve your problem. An easy DIY job and you can get a good price at Saturnaccessories.com. Since i've installed one I use my rear wiper much less. Wait till you see what the wiper replacement costs :tear:

mr weather 01-25-2005 01:53 PM

Got mine aftermarket for about $7. There aren't many out there that small (11"?) but I found one.

What does Saturn ding you for one?

ricksLS1 01-25-2005 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=mr weather]Got mine aftermarket for about $7. There aren't many out there that small (11"?) but I found one.

What does Saturn ding you for one?[/QUOTE]

What after market did you find? From what I remember Anco made an 11 blade but the holder was either to big or small for the hook. One dealer near me wanted $14.07 the 10 and change. I got a couple at Saturn accessories for $7 and change.

Tom92SCm 01-25-2005 02:06 PM

Roof rails will severly hamper the performance of the rear air deflector.

But my rear wiper still works WAY batter than the wiper on my Mountaineer did. That thing would leave about half the wiped area unclean. I bent that thing all around and improved it some but it was never great.

Slightly off topic, but have you noticed the different placements of rear wipers on other vans and SUV's? Some are in the middle, some are offset (to the right IIRC) and some are even top mounted. Personally, I like the center mounted wiper on my VUE.

Still slightly off topic, is there a separate reservoir for the rear wiper fluid? My Mountaineer had one but I haven't seen anything for the VUE.

--Tom

revue 01-25-2005 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=Tom92SCm]Roof rails will severly hamper the performance of the rear air deflector.

But my rear wiper still works WAY batter than the wiper on my Mountaineer did. That thing would leave about half the wiped area unclean. I bent that thing all around and improved it some but it was never great.

Slightly off topic, but have you noticed the different placements of rear wipers on other vans and SUV's? Some are in the middle, some are offset (to the right IIRC) and some are even top mounted. Personally, I like the center mounted wiper on my VUE.

Still slightly off topic, is there a separate reservoir for the rear wiper fluid? My Mountaineer had one but I haven't seen anything for the VUE.

--Tom[/QUOTE]

There's only one reservoir, it's under the hood. A really long hose snakes its way to the back.

silvervoo 01-25-2005 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=rickpa75]I was always wondering about that!!

Seems kind of dumb to have it dribble like that... :hmpf:

I wonder if any aftermarket spray ends would fix it - I'll have to investigate!
-Rick
:arr:[/QUOTE]I have to believe there is a reason for this design. At 70MPH with a fine spray nozzle back there I wonder if you would get any liquid at all onto the window? it might all blow away unless you have a wind deflector or spoiler.

ricksLS1 01-25-2005 03:10 PM

Could you imagine how bad it would be if the used the same nozzles that are used for the front? Those are poor. I had 2 blow off that had to be replaced. When the 1st one went asked if they could change the other. They said no but was back in a month. Guess the dealer wants you to come back to get more warranty $$ and a chance for maintenance services.

VUEnumber1 01-25-2005 04:51 PM

When I got my used VUE the rear nozzle was upsidedown, spraying towards the sky.

I wonder if the previous owner liked to squirt tailgaters. :)

I flipped it over.

mr weather 01-25-2005 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=ricksLS1]What after market did you find? From what I remember Anco made an 11 blade but the holder was either to big or small for the hook. One dealer near me wanted $14.07 the 10 and change. I got a couple at Saturn accessories for $7 and change.[/QUOTE]US dollars, right? ;)

I got mine at our national car parts emporium called Canadian Tire. They sell OE-like metal blades. Not sure who the manufacturer is.

Hmm... I just looked up their website and they no longer list the 11" blade. I hope they haven't stopped selling them! :hmpf: