SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Mods (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2nd gen steering wheel swap, for a 3rd gen wheel? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264695)

98_Gold_Uranus 01-10-2020 11:11 PM

2nd gen steering wheel swap, for a 3rd gen wheel?

So I'm curious to see if anyone has ever tried to throw a 3rd gen steering wheel in a 2nd gen.

Wondering if it's basically a plug and play.

This is the style wheel that's currently in my 98. Has the two horn buttons, one on either site (pressing the center where the airbag is does nothing), and has the cruise controls on a protrusion on the right-hand side of the wheel.

[IMG]http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/46928365.jpg[/IMG]

I was looking in a 2000 model and noticed that the two buttons on the steering wheel are the cruise controls, no protrusion sticking out of the side of it like the 98 for the controls, and the horn functions by pressing the center where the airbag is, like ever other car made after 2000 lol. Looks like this.

[IMG]http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/64370065.jpg[/IMG]

trottida 01-13-2020 09:57 AM

Re: 2nd gen steering wheel swap, for a 3rd gen wheel?

No, the major difference is that they are splined differently. I suppose you could look at changing out the steering column and figure out the wiring but that's a lot of effort to go through.

If you want to upgrade you can swap in a leather steering wheel from a 95-99 sedan, wagon or coupe. There are two types; perforated leather and standard leather. The coupes are equipped with perforated leather whereas the sedans and wagons the standard leather. They are both the same as the 98 steering wheel shown below except leather wrapped.

98_Gold_Uranus 01-13-2020 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=trottida;2339127]No, the major difference is that they are splined differently. I suppose you could look at changing out the steering column and figure out the wiring but that's a lot of effort to go through.

If you want to upgrade you can swap in a leather steering wheel from a 95-99 sedan, wagon or coupe. There are two types; perforated leather and standard leather. The coupes are equipped with perforated leather whereas the sedans and wagons the standard leather. They are both the same as the 98 steering wheel shown below except leather wrapped.[/QUOTE]

Ah okay. That's what I was most curious about keeping me from doing it, the splines on the column where the wheel goes on...

My SL2 actually has the leather wrapped wheel already in great shape, I was just looking at options that rearrange the horn and cruise control buttons.

One with radio control options would be amazing, but I don't think such a thank exist, at least in the form of an original factory option lol.

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

fetchitfido 01-14-2020 01:38 AM

Almost anything bolts to anything with a grinder/cut-off wheel, a welder and some imagination :arr:

Shouldn't be that hard to make the steering wheel swap, though I can't see it being worth the effort unless the worthless horn buttons burned out.

alordofchaos 01-14-2020 10:21 AM

You'd also have to change from the 3-wire 2nd gen horn with the integrated relay that always eventually fails, to a 2-wire horn if you haven't already done that.

Also would have to do some testing to match the wires in the cruise.

seems like there is something different in 3rd gen cruise and 2nd gen cruise (added feature? like Resume, maybe) but I cant think of it off the top of my head.

I know with 2nd gen digital odometer, if you switch from odometer to trip, shutting the car off resets it to odometer while 3rd gen remembers and stays in trip. Irrelevant, I know :D but there are lots of small bits that are different.

98_Gold_Uranus 01-14-2020 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=alordofchaos;2339179]You'd also have to change from the 3-wire 2nd gen horn with the integrated relay that always eventually fails, to a 2-wire horn if you haven't already done that.

Also would have to do some testing to match the wires in the cruise.

seems like there is something different in 3rd gen cruise and 2nd gen cruise (added feature? like Resume, maybe) but I cant think of it off the top of my head.

I know with 2nd gen digital odometer, if you switch from odometer to trip, shutting the car off resets it to odometer while 3rd gen remembers and stays in trip. Irrelevant, I know :D but there are lots of small bits that are different.[/QUOTE]

Nah I'm still rocking the factory 3 wire horn, it still works lol

I did notice a difference in the cruise buttons, mainly the 2nd gen's on/off is a literal on/off switch, where as the 3rd gen uses a momentary button...

And yes, I've noticed that about the odometer trip too! Thought I was just going crazy lol.