SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Mods (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Ion 3 to Redline Disc Brakes (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212655)

SilverSpectre 01-23-2016 05:36 PM

Ion 3 to Redline Disc Brakes

Long time, no see everyone. It's nice to be back!

So I am finally going to do my Redline upgrades (hubs, wheels, brakes and a few additional suspension upgrades). I've done the research and I know where to get all of the parts. Now I am just trying to settle a few details.

First off, has anyone here ever swapped over to a Redline rear? My plan is to put in an axle assembly from a Redline that I found, along with stock Redline calipers, rotors and pads. I am wondering if any modification needs to be done to get the emergency brake to work and if so, what exactly needs to be done.

Second, does anything else need to be done to the overall hydraulic system to ensure proper brake operation (such as proportioning valve, master cylinder, etc)?

Again, I plan to use all OEM style parts for both front and rear brakes.

Thanks in advance for your help.

bmxracerchamp12 01-26-2016 03:19 PM

Re: Ion 3 to Redline Disc Brakes

i did the complete lsj swap. only thing i havent figured out is the ebrake situation. the base ones arent long enough. i havent tried redline ones to see if they would work (i dont see why they wouldnt). you wont have to mess with any proportioning at all but i do recommend going to the bigger lsj front brakes

SilverSpectre 01-26-2016 03:35 PM

[QUOTE=bmxracerchamp12;2176292]i did the complete lsj swap. only thing i havent figured out is the ebrake situation. the base ones arent long enough. i havent tried redline ones to see if they would work (i dont see why they wouldnt). you wont have to mess with any proportioning at all but i do recommend going to the bigger lsj front brakes[/QUOTE]

I assume you mean that the emergency brake cables aren't long enough?

And by bigger LSJ brakes, do you mean the GMPP stuff or Brembo?

2006 ion2 01-26-2016 03:59 PM

The redline cable should just bolt right up to your handle (handles shouldn't be different), and that should be the only difference. These cars were very modular with a lot of common parts and mounting points.

SilverSpectre 01-26-2016 06:56 PM

[QUOTE=2006 ion2;2176318]The redline cable should just bolt right up to your handle (handles shouldn't be different), and that should be the only difference. These cars were very modular with a lot of common parts and mounting points.[/QUOTE]

Here is what I found:

[url]http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=364916&ukey_make=1031&modelYear=2007&ukey_model=14665&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=25775[/url]

Second listing down I believe?

2006 ion2 01-27-2016 03:33 AM

Looks right

bmxracerchamp12 01-27-2016 09:36 AM

[QUOTE=SilverSpectre;2176298]I assume you mean that the emergency brake cables aren't long enough?

And by bigger LSJ brakes, do you mean the GMPP stuff or Brembo?[/QUOTE]

im just saying lsj brakes are bigger than the base ones. i was suggesting to swap the fronts to lsj brakes

SilverSpectre 02-02-2016 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=2006 ion2;2176424]Looks right[/QUOTE]

So I have a bit of a problem - this parking brake cable is discontinued, and I have only been able to find one in existence (which I ordered, of course). But obviously I need two to complete this build.

I checked local junk yards and no one has a wrecked RL for me to pull another one off of.

I was thinking of trying a cable off a Cobalt SS. Do you think that might work?

bmxracerchamp12 02-02-2016 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=SilverSpectre;2179368]So I have a bit of a problem - this parking brake cable is discontinued, and I have only been able to find one in existence (which I ordered, of course). But obviously I need two to complete this build.

I checked local junk yards and no one has a wrecked RL for me to pull another one off of.

I was thinking of trying a cable off a Cobalt SS. Do you think that might work?[/QUOTE]

let me research this a little and see what i can dig up

SilverSpectre 02-02-2016 06:20 PM

[QUOTE=bmxracerchamp12;2179391]let me research this a little and see what i can dig up[/QUOTE]

Thanks man.

I did confirm that the calipers would be the same. And all of the clips and retainers appear ro be the same.

bmxracerchamp12 02-23-2016 05:20 PM

i wont be digging into this now. i was going to just grab a few sets of cables locally but decided to part my car and send it for scrap.

2006 ion2 02-24-2016 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=SilverSpectre;2179368]So I have a bit of a problem - this parking brake cable is discontinued, and I have only been able to find one in existence (which I ordered, of course). But obviously I need two to complete this build.

I was thinking of trying a cable off a Cobalt SS. Do you think that might work?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, somehow Imissed this thread being updated. The css cable should be the same, but so should the brake fluid sensor, and out isn't. If you get one from somewhere that accepts returns, this shouldn't be an issue, though.

06_Ion2 02-24-2016 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=bmxracerchamp12;2181768]i wont be digging into this now. i was going to just grab a few sets of cables locally but decided to part my car and send it for scrap.[/QUOTE]

Why the long face?

bmxracerchamp12 02-27-2016 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=06_Ion2;2181925]Why the long face?[/QUOTE]

will miss the car. have had it since 09 and it has low miles. just dont want to hassle with it anymore

Samtherecordman 03-05-2016 06:42 PM

Sexyyyy!!!!!!! :d

kevin.st56 03-12-2016 09:03 PM

Long time no see.

For a long time, and still, i want to do the conversion too, but money is way too much of a problem ,and cant afford to do it, unless someone wants to give my everything i need...or a redline :D

anyone, iv done a ton of research on the topic and have loads of info of 2 possible routes (all documented in onenote), which one requires a lot of modifications to get it all to work, with a chance of something going wrong and halting the project, and the other is just swapping parts.

everything should be swappable directly from a redline or a balt ss.