SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   2000 saturn sl oil and idle issues (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203284)

nedford 09-17-2014 03:27 AM

2000 saturn sl oil and idle issues

I recently bought my first saturn, and for the most part do love it. It was a slightly shady buy though at only 700 bucks, but it had 200,000 miles on it and from what I visually inspected didn't seem that bad at first. It was said it had some issues with the pcv valve and it was spitting a little oil out the exhaust pipe, so I bought a new pcv valve for real cheap and had less issues but less reliable idle, then shortly after changing the oil filter(which yes I know the original could have been reused if it hadn't broken in the process of me removing it), I had many issues with the oil aka seafoaming out the exhaust and way worse idle issues. This confuses me cause performance wise it runs as if it were getting fine compression and all. I tried reading more into it and some sources say it could also be the egr valve. Please help me brainstorm?

SL19302 09-17-2014 05:56 AM

Re: 2000 saturn sl oil and idle issues

[QUOTE=nedford;2093390]I recently bought my first saturn, and for the most part do love it. It was a slightly shady buy though at only 700 bucks, but it had 200,000 miles on it and from what I visually inspected didn't seem that bad at first. It was said it had some issues with the pcv valve and it was spitting a little oil out the exhaust pipe, so I bought a new pcv valve for real cheap and had less issues but less reliable idle, then shortly after changing the oil filter(which yes I know the original could have been reused if it hadn't broken in the process of me removing it), I had many issues with the oil aka seafoaming out the exhaust and way worse idle issues. This confuses me cause performance wise it runs as if it were getting fine compression and all. I tried reading more into it and some sources say it could also be the egr valve. Please help me brainstorm?[/QUOTE]

With 200K on the car I would run a Compression test, Plus a tune up couldnt hurt, Does the car have a service engine soon lamp on? Any list of parts that were replaced or serviced on the car?

Signmaster 09-17-2014 09:32 AM

+1 to the above. Check the basics first. Even if the engine is fine and it has old crappy fouled plugs, you can get all kinds of issues. Usually anything major with the EGR or misfires will set a code, and you can go from there with trouble shooting.

nedford 09-17-2014 01:04 PM

The service engine light is on and it shuts off sometimes.
The compression test isn't a bad Idea will do and keep you updated. It only sends the oil out aka sea foams at a high rpm, like past 3.

colonelhogan44 09-17-2014 01:53 PM

What's the SES code?

nedford 09-18-2014 03:09 PM

I'm waiting to get a compression tester cause the one I had was meant for older American vehicles, but I did test the number of cylinders running by unplugging the spark plug wires and seeing any that didn't make a difference and sure enough it isn't running on all cylinders, and I replaced the spark plugs so it isn't that. I think I might have an out valve or I've also heard something about idle switches?

nedford 09-18-2014 03:15 PM

I don't have a code tester though, wish I had one.

colonelhogan44 09-18-2014 05:58 PM

The parts store does!

nedford 09-23-2014 03:21 PM

I went to the store for the free ses codes test and it was said to have high idling ( previous pcv valve issues), and it had misfires, and when I did my own compression test it failed on cylinders 3 and 4, though I know that car couldn't run on only 2 cylinders, then later I noticed the positive terminal to my battery was loose cause it had issues starting, when I tightened it the service engine light went off, and no more oil out the exhaust and it runs way way better..., wtf?

SL19302 09-23-2014 05:53 PM

Loose Battery connections wont fix oil consumption problems, What were the numbers when you performed the compression test?

nedford 11-30-2014 01:42 AM

Sorry for the long reply, I finally finished work on the problem. Cylinders 3 and 4 weren't getting full compression because I had burnt and warped exhaust valves over them. After replacing them the car runs fine with no starting issues except it still will occasionally run at an incredibly high idle when the clutch is disengaged and send oil through the exhaust. And this I can tell you now is not because of any lack of compression, though because of the high idle I wouldn't be surprised if that caused the exhaust valves burning out.

Signmaster 12-01-2014 08:02 AM

Glad you found (and corrected) the major issues.

The high idle is often either the ECTS, or the TPS. If you get the high idle and it changes if you turn the car off and then restart it right away, often the TPS. If it's the ECTS that is usually a more consistent high idle problem.

If it's ALL the time, vacuum leaks are another possible issue.

SL19302 12-01-2014 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=nedford;2107151]Sorry for the long reply, I finally finished work on the problem. Cylinders 3 and 4 weren't getting full compression because I had burnt and warped exhaust valves over them. After replacing them the car runs fine with no starting issues except it still will occasionally run at an incredibly high idle when the clutch is disengaged and send oil through the exhaust. And this I can tell you now is not because of any lack of compression, though because of the high idle I wouldn't be surprised if that caused the exhaust valves burning out.[/QUOTE]

Also high idle on your car could be caused by a failed intake manifold gasket by the cylinder 1 intake runner, To verify if this is the problem you will need a can of carb cleaner and spray just below the power steering pump where the intake manifold meets the cylinderhead, If idle changes or the engine stumbles the gasket is leaking and needs to be replaced.